Pretty cool!

3:35 p.m. on September 11, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,906 reviewer rep
1,040 forum posts

I know this might be a lot more common, and not nearly as interesting for some of you, but here in Canada the praying mantis is incredibly rare. 

I was doing some gardening this morning, went to put some weeds in the bag and there he (she?) was. About three or four inches, completely brown/beige. 

image.jpg

So then I wrapped up gardening and went to head to the grocery store and on the hood of my car was another male (female?). I know very little about these insects, maybe that's part of my fascination. I took it off the hood and put it on my front lawn. This one was a lot smaller, probably half the size and a light green colour. 
image.jpg

So imagine my surprise when I came back from the store and was looking for my new friends, and the two of them were socializing in my yard waste bag. 

image.jpg

You can see them at the top right and bottom left of the picture. 

Sorry for the rant, but the unfamiliarity and rarity really peaked my interest. 

So friends, please feel free to educate me on these fascinating insects!

9:52 p.m. on September 20, 2015 (EDT)
1,738 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Actually I can relate quite well!

That's cool you got to see them. They are fairly common where I live in the Southeast US, but there are lots of other plants & critters that are rare here.

I get really excited when I get to see an Armadillo, a Gecko, or a Venus Flytrap.

Here's a webpage on the Praying Mantis at a website I use all the time:

https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/insects/predators-praying-mantid-mantis 

12:15 p.m. on September 21, 2015 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,148 forum posts

I can't recall ever seeing a Praying Mantis, Jake.

So, thanks for sharing it.

4:06 p.m. on September 21, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,812 reviewer rep
1,653 forum posts

Beware of the drunken mantis kung fu!

5:21 a.m. on September 23, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I love the one that's walking on water :)

10:45 p.m. on September 23, 2015 (EDT)
1,987 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

Two years ago after a 10-day in Yosemite my friend dropped me off at the Sacramento airport, as I went inside the ticketing area I felt something on my neck and reached back and pulled off a giant mantis. No idea what it was doing at the airport. At least 6" long and tan like your first one (I'm used to smaller green ones here in the Southeast). I took him back outside and let him go. Looked it up online later and learned it's supposed to be good luck for one to land on you. I would think it's equally good luck to find one on your car and in your lawn bag.

June 24, 2019
Quick Reply