Open main menu

Browning Big Horn 10 x 15 tent

I am in search of a new tent at a good price, the Big Horn is 250.00 on Amazon.Com and the specs are

About the Product

• polyester
  • Easy assembly; Free-standing 3 pole design with fiberglass poles and steel uprights; Easy set up with unique hub design; Steel stakes included
  • Wall divider for two rooms; Two large doors allow easy entry into either room individually; Great ventilation; Six windows; Mesh storage pockets
  • 150D polyester oxford floor with 2000mm coating; 75D 185T polyester fly resists UV damage and stays taut; Guy ropes included
  • Factory sealed fly and floor seams give best weather protection; Extra large zippers on doors; Straight side walls allow more room for cots
  • Weatherproof fly buckles to tent; Base Size: 10' x 15'; Center: 7'3 (H); Tent Area: 150 sq. ft.; Total Weight: 30 lbs. 11 oz.; Packed Size: 12" x 30                                                                
  • Ok.....would this be a good family tent for two adults and a 12 yr old and 15 yr old daughter?  I will probably be using 2 queen blow up mattresses 1 for the kids and 1 for us.  Also it says that everything is factory sealed, however should I reseal the seams and waterproof tent? And if I did would this void the warranty?

Cabin tents are great for car camping!

It'll work fine.  I found my daughter preferred having her own tent (space), so my wife and got to have the big tent to ourselves.  The daughter's tent was an old 2 person backpacking dome tent, not up to the demands of the backcountry, but plenty adequate for our car camping intentions.  It was perfect; she could invite a friend and they could go about their business without feeling underfoot.  You may not be able to get an air mattress similar to the ones you describe for a small tent, but there are suitable sleeping pads, nevertheless. 

Ed

For family camping, we always had one big tent and smaller ones for the kids to sleep in. Then Mom and Dad can have some privacy, and the kids get some independence.

We used canvas umbrella and Baker tents. I have used a canvas wall tent for 35 years for base camps and for hunting. A wood stove changes everything in the cold weather. I have lived in the wall tent for up to a month running tree planting crews.

I still get a lift out of the smell of canvas and wood smoke in a tent. For Nevada Day on Oct 31 which is also Halloween, we will be having a large outdoor party with the wall tent and a canvas tipi. Cooking will be over a fire in iron Dutch Ovens and a professional musician for a concert.

September 24, 2020
Quick Reply