Mountain Climbing gear

10:04 p.m. on June 27, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I'm going on my first Mountain climbing experience with Adventure Consultants next spring Beginner course.  I have a lo of questions, like where is a good place to get gear, Average weight of a pack, can you buy your own oxygen? If you can buy your own Oxygen where can you get it from? Any other suggestions about product advice Mountain climbing advice period all is welcome, and Thank you in advance.

10:53 a.m. on June 28, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,273 reviewer rep
2,318 forum posts

i would ask the guides.  Betting they rent equipment, and that's probably a good way to go if this is your first foray into climbing - it's expensive to buy all that gear if you may or may not use it a lot going forward.  I'm almost certain that if you are high enough to need oxygen, the guide service will supply it, but best to ask them about that too.  

11:24 a.m. on June 28, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,036 forum posts

Adventure Consultants has been around for a number of years. Their Beginner course will answer all those questions you posed and more. They are more pricey than a lot of other companies.

You can get a lot of your questions answered by just reading the posts here on Trailspace, since most of those questions have been answered many times. However, the answer to all your questions is "It depends" .... except the oxygen one. You are getting way ahead of yourself there. The oxygen, for one thing, is not needed until you are doing 8000 meter peaks. That will be many years down the line. The guide service you settle on will handle the oxygen thing for you.

Not knowing where you live, in my opinion, there are several companies who, based on my observations in having climbed and hiked on all 7 continents, are far better on teaching the basics than Adventure Consultants, and at a much lower cost. AC is good, and a lot of people like them. But there are a number of companies that are excellent for teaching the basics and intermediate skills. AC is more for people with a moderate amount of experience. But my observation of their expeditions, having been on mountains at the same time, is that their clients mostly just want to be led up the mountains - sort of like the bus tours in big cities.

On the West Coast, American Alpine Institute (Bellingham, WA) specializes in teaching the basics (they also run expeditions to such places as the Mexican Volcanoes and the 7 Summits). On the East Coast, IME in New Hampshire runs excellent beginner to intermediate courses. In the Tetons, Exum has been around for years and does an excellent job of basic training.

Somehow, I get the impression that you are all eager to get up the 7 summits within the next year, but have little or no outdoor experience.  My basic advice is "BEGIN AT THE BEGINNING!" . Frankly, the 7 Summits are a bit over-rated. As examples, Aconcagua (South America), Elbrus (Europe), and Kilimanjaro (Africa) are all just slogs up trails, all with crowds of people. Much more interesting climbs are the Cordillera Blanca (South America), the Dolomites (Europe), and Mt. Kenya (Africa). 

As an aside, the photo of me in the avatar was in Antarctica, on our way to climb Mt Vinson - easy climb, but Antarctica is well up in the "most beautiful places in the world". No oxygen needed, but very warm clothes.

5:26 p.m. on June 30, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Thanks for all your help!

February 24, 2020
Quick Reply