Beginner Hunter - Needs Help Finding Where to Start?

5:10 a.m. on August 5, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hey all!

I'm looking to purchase my first compound bow and I'm not sure what I need to look for. Where do I start? What should I avoid? What do I want to look for? I'd like to begin with target shooting and work my way up to turkey and white tail deer.

Any recommendations or help is greatly appreciated!

7:45 a.m. on August 5, 2016 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
3,226 forum posts

Read some books and find someone to help you.

5:14 p.m. on August 15, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,590 reviewer rep
1,630 forum posts

Hey David, welcome to trailspace! This is not really a hunting forum however some of us are hunters, myself included.I am not a compound bow user, so i cant give too much insight in that regard. I am a long bow user myself. Almost all of the bows on the market will suffice but there is alot of fitting and measurements needed to find a bow that is a good fit for you. I would recommend finding an archery shop near you and have them help you get set up. If there is no real archery shop near you then a cabelas, bass pro, or dicks could also work. A good archery hunting forum to checkout is Rokslide.

if you have any specific questions i would be glad to help however i can.

12:18 a.m. on September 25, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Read more online hunting forums to help you out with that

9:01 a.m. on September 25, 2016 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
3,226 forum posts

Bow hunting is difficult. First you have to learn to be accurate with a bow, which takes some time.  Shoot all the time and focus on distance and the drop of your arrows.  Second, you have to learn a lot about the critters because you need to get close.  Many people bow hunt for years without being successful, but they get hooked on all the close encounters.

June 24, 2018
Quick Reply