Elevation preparation

10:48 a.m. on August 25, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I currently live @ 500 ft and I'm preping to go to Mt Whitney CA and complete the mountaineer route. (8k to summit 14k)

So far I have increased my cardio and my lifting from bulking to strength anconditioning. I'm far from ready and I know the risks of altitude sickness I'm about to face. I can't afford a elevation mask at this time.  

Any suggestions/home remedies to prep for and or ease the effects altitude sickness?

11:36 a.m. on August 25, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,027 forum posts

The main thing is to not rush your climb. Cardio, lifting, etc, are all well and good. But they do not trigger an increase in your red blood cell count and get really acclimatized. You have to spend time at altitude to do that.

1. "Climb high, sleep low" - what this means is to move your sleeping altitude up by 1000 ft at a time.

2. As the guides on Kilimanjaro say - "pole, pole". This translates to "slowly, slowly". Pace yourself and don't rush. If you keep a slow, steady pace, you will not have to stop as often to catch your breath. It turns out that the slow steady pace is actually faster than running full tilt, with rest stops of a half hour. The town of Lone Pine is about 4000 ft altitude. Spend a night there.

3. The Whitney Portal campground is about 8000 ft. Spend a night or 2 there. This is roughly the altitude that people start having some difficulty. You might find yourself having some Cheyne-Stokes breathing sleeping at this altitude. This is a type of breathing where you stop breathing temporarily, followed by a sudden increase in breathing rate. At 8000 ft, this is annoying (you might wake up suddenly), but no real problem.

4. You might want to do a hike up the Whitney trail to Lone Pine Lake (10,000 ft) or Mirror Lake (11,000 ft) and return to the Portal for another night's sleep ("Climb high, Sleep Low"). Years ago you could camp at those lakes. But with the mobs, camping is not allowed there. You could also hike part way up the North Fork trail to Lower Boy Scout Lake (10,000 ft) and back. This is the trail you will take to get to Iceberg Lake, which will be your jumping off for the start of the Mountaineers Route. I don't know the current regulations, but you could also (if permitted) move your camp from the Portal to Lower Boy Scout for 1 night, then Upper Boy Scout for another night (11,000 ft), then Iceberg Lake (12,600 ft) for a final acclimatization night. The summit is about 14,500, so your last move up will be only a couple thousand feet of easy scrambling. Well, easy for me to say - if you stay on route, the Mountaineers Route is easy 3rd class, although many people like to have a belay over some sections if they are not experienced in route finding. Depending on exactly when you do the route, you can have snow and ice.

5. You did not state whether you are doing this solo, with an experienced group, or with a guide service. Going up the North Fork trail is pretty straight-forward, though if you are inexperienced, finding your way over the Ledges can be confusing, as can also be the case going up the Mountaineers Route.

11:43 a.m. on August 25, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

The best post by Bill I have read so far.  Thanks.

4:03 p.m. on August 25, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Thanks for the info.  Great.  Yeah I forgot some details.  I'm going with an experienced group who do this annually.  Acclimation is not a luxury I can. I live in tx.  Flying into lax Thursday,  driving to lone pine Friday for permits and final provisions. Starting the assent sat 0300 and doing it one day. This is how the group does it every year.  

I'm not going up with the delusion I will summit my first time.  But I'm also preparing in every way I can make it as far as I can physically and mentally. 

Having completed several mountain warfare packages I'm well aware of acclimating.  However that was decades ago and as said,  not a luxury I can afford.  

8:31 p.m. on August 25, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

Bill makes it obvious that you are destined to fail unless you are in the very small group genetically predisposed to dealing with altitude.

I remember flying to Cusco, Peru from Lima at sea level. The airport is 12,000 feet. We planned to ride mountain bikes the next day. yeah right. Mostly it was coca mate drinking and lying around. The first couple of days are really tough.

I tried to climb Mt Whitney in about 1974 when no permits were required. I was in great shape in my 20s but lived at sea level. I got to about 12,400 feet and hit the wall and was done.  Don't get your hopes up.

8:49 p.m. on August 25, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,027 forum posts

TX, eh? I am going to guess you are either Houston or Austin... so either sea level or 500 ft to 14,500 ft in 48 hours. Sounds like you are going with a bunch of "macho men". That's a high probability prescription for AMS. Maybe even HACE or HAPE (either of which can be fatal)

I am going to suggest that, if you are really intent on that fast an altitude change while carrying your pack with tent, sleeping bag, and food, you see your doctor, talk with him or her, and get a prescription for Diamox (Acetazolamide). This is a prophylactic that you can reduce some of the symptoms of AMS. You start taking it about 3 days prior to making the ascent. It has some side effects (it is a diuretic, so lots of potty calls, but that's part of the process of tempering your blood acidity, and most people get tingly hands). But TALK TO YOUR PCP, preferably someone familiar with people going to altitude. You might be very lucky (as I am) to have the 6 magic genes that allow rapid acclimatization (about 10% of the population), or you might be in the unlucky 10% who have serious difficulty with AMS by the time you get to 9000 ft (you will find out if you get a severe headache by the time you reach Whitney Portal - Ibuprofen offers very little help for those headaches).
Your machoman buddies may tell you to just "tough it out". But I have helped way too many AMS sufferers down the mountain far below their planned peak.

According to the medical books, the majority of severe AMS sufferers are men in the 18-45 age range (mid-life crisis and all that).

Oh, yeah - lots of the SuperClimbers like lots of alcohol - that just makes matters worse on the ascent.

Good luck! you will need it. By the way, boosting your cardio and/or muscle building does absolute zero for dealing with the altitude. You need the red cells, and gym exercise and running on flatland do not help with that.

11:38 p.m. on August 25, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Great info.  They aren't real "macho" and I'm not one to give in to the macho bs. I know my bodies limits.  I've never been effected by altitude,  sea sickness etc but like I said this is my first challenge in a long time.  I was already lifting but once I was offered to change to join the group I stayed the cardio top lessen my body weight.  (We carry light weight gear, no need to carry access fat as well) I run at the local college and I do the risers and bleachers.  And I do all my cardio before I lift now so my mind and my body are used to performing while taxed.  And that's before I go to work.  I'll will make an appointment to speak with my doc and the prescription. Like I said mentally I'm preparing to go as far as my body let's me and if that's the top so be it.  If not.  Then I'll have a goal to beat next year.  I plan on making this an annual trek. Thanks for the great advice. And encouragement (sort of)

9:59 a.m. on August 26, 2016 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
424 forum posts

Best wishes on your trip.  The Mountaineer's Route is a neat experience, even more so if you can enjoy the trip.  I would suggest that next year you allot a bit more time and acclimatize, which only means you will spend more time in the mountains.

Perhaps this raises the question- why climb?  Is it to acquire bragging rights?  Is it to get away from normal conditions and spend time enjoying the outdoors?

10:55 a.m. on August 26, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I love the out doors. It's a personal challenge and goal.

I decided a little over a year ago to get healthy for me and for my kids. I was always tired. Headaches. Got sick easy.  But I was just bulking.  I just wanted to lift lift lift.  Diet sucked. My lifting actually sucked.  But I was doing something.  I just wanted to get bigger bigger bigger.  Then taking to my wife's cousin he brought up this trip he does every year.  And then I started researching and reading and I actually changed my way of thinking.  Started eating paleo because it's something I could commit to and stick with.  Started adding cardio and actually getting "HEALTHY" not just pushing iron so I fill out my t shirts better.  Since June 1st I've lost 20lbs 2 pants sizes and even though I wear larges I can fit into a med t shirt. I still have a way to go.  I don't have a target weight or anything.  I just want to be and feel healthy,  be an example for my kids.  And having a goal like whitney helps me stay focused and on track. It gives me an excuse to stay motivated instead of excuses to skip the gym or eat that piece of pizza.  

I grew up in nor Cal and spent my youth in Yosemite and tahoe. My kids are getting to the point we can go camping fishing etc.  With grandma they watch cartoons with daddy we watch dual survival.  I just want to be something they can admire. 

I Like when my kids go to school and tell their friends.  "My daddy goes to the gym when it's still dark and drives a jeep!" And their friends say "my daddies have beards and drive a prias"

12:53 p.m. on August 26, 2016 (EDT)
1,977 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

Your training is good and will help with stamina, but it has virtually nothing to do with acclimatizing to high altitude.

A big factor is not just how high you go but how high you sleep -- if you ascend during the day and then get to a lower altitude to sleep that is better than sleeping at the higher altitude.

2:47 p.m. on August 26, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

Another great post by Bill. He outlines potentially life threatening issues in a place with no emergency help.  i would rethink your plan.

I used to be friends with lots of geologists. Some of them were in the field all the time, and went to the places like the Andes looking for gold. Especially during the recession, they went out of the country for exploration.

One guy decided to climb Aconcagua in Chile which is over 19,000 feet. He was working above 12,000 feet and had gone as high as 16,000 feet.  He trained hard and carried a 50 pound pack on a stair climber whenever he was at home. My friend got to 18,500 feet when he found two Japanese cliimbers in body bags next to the trail and he turned around. Listen to Bill and change your plans.

6:34 p.m. on August 26, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Thank you bill.  I'll tap out and decend if I feel the on set of altitude sickness.  I'm not one of those gung-ho pride guys. Like I said,  I don't plan on reaching the summit my first time out. 

3:57 a.m. on August 27, 2016 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,278 forum posts

Sorry if my bluntness puts you off, Joe but...

Me thinks Whitney is a reasonable when taken as three days on the trail.  Any shorter and it quickly turns into a forced march (unless you are training for and participating in marathons several times a year). 

This annual trip your friends do is definitely a macho thing.  I've been up Whitney a number of times, including once as a there-and-back in a single day excursion.  Notice I said I did that only one time.  The question isn't can you do it; the question is would you do it again, once having experienced it.  It wasn't fun.  It was way too much effort for what such a trip offered.  This advice coming from someone who was in top condition and trekked much higher altitudes back in the day.  Since you don't do this on a regular basis, you likely will be experiencing the soreness, stiffness and muscle cramps one gets during the first three days of college football preseason two-a-day workout sessions.  Such is the price of bragging rights for a weekend warrior to claim bagging Whitney in one day.

Hey, if you're into doing bucket list stuff for the sake of saying been there done that - and gain little else for your effort - go ahead and knock yourself out.  But I suggest you first experience a little trial of what awaits you: try climbing the stairs to the top of the JP Morgan Chase Tower in Huston six times or the B of A Tower in Dallas 6 1/2 times.  These excursions approximate the elevation gain you are considering.  Throw in an extra lap to make up for the lack of altitude. 

Now that we have all chimed in, you owe us a trip report to share your experience!

Ed

7:52 p.m. on August 27, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,027 forum posts

Ed,

Did you notice that Joe's intended route is the Mountaineers Route, not the Whitney Trail? So add in the last 2000 ft elevation gain being a 3rd Class climb from Iceberg Lake. Depending on the exact time of year plus the weather (which has been more than a bit weird for the last couple of years - with snow and ice on the Mountaineers Route plus thunderstorms) the challenge will be a bit more than the Whitney Trail. Joe specifically said the intention is the Mountaineers Route, not the Whitney Trail.

Last year, I went to Whitney with a group, intending to do the East Face. But the guy I got stuck with in the tent and was supposed to be on the same rope for the climb, was restless all night, plus I quickly realized he was not going to make the climb (he turned back at the beginning of the climb). My option was joining another guy with the same partner problem (I was acquainted with some of the group, but most were unknown to me). It snowed a few inches overnight at Iceberg. We started about an hour behind the rest of the group and headed for the Mountaineers Route and summited before anyone else. We waited for a while and observed the incoming clouds (and thunder), so bailed back down on a slightly different track to avoid the ice.  We got a bit more snow and rain overnight, but got ok weather for the hike out.

My "reminder lesson) was make sure you know and have climbed with your intended partner ahead of time.

10:32 p.m. on August 27, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,027 forum posts

Joe, So you get some idea of what you will encounter on the approach and on the Mountaineers Route:

DSC_3396-X2.jpg
Soon after you leave Whitney Portal on the North Fork "Trail", you will be doing a bit of brush beating. You can't see it in this photo, but the "trail" was running water in a stream at our feet. That's me at the front.

Ledges2.jpg
You soon will encounter the "Ledges" These are a series of switchbacks that climb from one ledge to the next.

TheLedges.jpg
Going from one ledge to the next where the "trail" switchbacks includes a few climbing moves - nothing difficult, just some places where you want a handhold, or maybe handing your pack up to the next ledge.

StreamCross.jpg
There are streams to cross along the way.

The2mantent.jpg
Once you get to Iceberg, you set up your tent - this was supposed to be a 2-person tent - but NOT with my tentmate. Know your tentmate BEFORE you agree on sharing the tent. My fault, not having seen the tent beforehand.

snowCamp.jpg
We got snow overnight - and thunderstorms during the climbing day, and lots of rain.

MntnrRte.jpg
My new partner and I headed for the Mountaineers Route. Note the snow around the rocks. There were also sheets of ice on the route. The route is easy enough. It is just a 3rd class scramble. Then again, if you are pushing it up there at 13,000 to 14,000 ft, gasping for air, with a pounding AMS headache, it's no fun at all.

If you follow the rope, you will see the tiny dot that is my partner. I had my tiny P&S on maximum wide angle to get everything into the picture. Actually, he was about a half rope length away.

WhitneySunrise.jpg
Nothing beats a Sierra Sunrise.

To truly enjoy your climb of Whitney, or any mountain, you need to take it one step at a time. Look around. Take lots of photos.

The Mountaineers Route is just beyond the right side of the photo. You can see the East Face and East Buttress routes in the middle of the face.

12:12 p.m. on August 28, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
782 forum posts

Joeseph, have you climbed any 14ers?  I read through the posts but I didn't notice any comments concerning that.  If you haven't, I would suggest, since you live in Texas (as do I), going to Wheeler Peak in NM.  It's not a 14er but it comes in at just over 13k.  Give it a go and see how you do.  The standard route keeps you above treeline for 6 miles.  There is a big difference between traveling below the treeline than above the treeline.  Weather is much different.  Comfort level is much different.  Being able to see for a very long distance has psychological effects with regards to perceived distances and false summits.  I would also suggest a low grade 14er in Colorado, Culebra.  It's a class 2 walk above treeline, but, it's still not an easy walk.  See how you fare with these closer options before you decide to tackle Whitney.  The jump from 12,000 feet to 13,000 feet isn't that bad.  Going to 14,000 feet is a more serious undertaking.  Bill mentions a 3rd class scramble is involved on Whitney.  3rd class means hands and feet, no rope, three points touching at all times.  A fall can be lethal on 3rd class due to exposure.  Are you able to handle that?  Many folks freeze on 3rd class going up and going down 3rd class is more difficult than the ascent.   

Good luck.

1:11 a.m. on August 29, 2016 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,278 forum posts

Bill S said:

"Ed,

Did you notice that Joe's intended route is the Mountaineers Route, not the Whitney Trail? So add in the last 2000 ft elevation gain being a 3rd Class climb..."

Oh yes, the Mountaineers Route does add a distinct safety risk factor, given all of the physical rigors a single day assault on Whitney entails.  A good turnaround point on such a trip is the foot of the Mountaineer's Route.  As Bills photos attest, you will get plenty enough terrain trekking just getting to the lake.

Ed

10:25 a.m. on August 29, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

This is a great discussion and points out the potential consequences of planning that is way too aggressive.

I would sum it up this way. This whole plan is macho Texas bullshit.  Choosing the Mountaineer's Route just makes it more obvious.

10:28 a.m. on August 29, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

I used to work with a very skilled wildlife biologist when I lived in Wyoming.  He was a No Dak farm boy and his relatives always wanted to "come out West" and go elk hunting. It took a couple of years to get tags, but 4 of them came for the long anticipated hunt in the mountains. The hunt was planned for a week. The elevation game them so much trouble they left on the third day and barely even saw any elk.

11:35 a.m. on August 29, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,757 reviewer rep
1,647 forum posts

I was at 14,416 yesterday (TR to follow) and I agree that taking as much time to adjust as you can is a great strategy.  My two Chicago climbing partners spent two days hiking around at Paradise (~6,000 ft) before the climb and I am convinced that it helped them. 

Fitness won't stop mountain sickness but it will certainly make the climb MUCH more enjoyable so train as hard as you can knowing that it won't help you ward off altitude sickness if you are susceptible but, once you get there, it will make everything more fun. 

12:23 p.m. on August 29, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,027 forum posts

Hang on a minute, folks!

Climbing Whitney by the Mountaineers Route is a very worthy objective. It is challenging, and goes to the highest peak in the lower 48 states. The scenery is beautiful. The water along the route is readily available and pure enough that you don't need to go through all the purification routine.

The route is not a crowded one (the challenge is enough that people either turn back or have done enough acclimatization to not suffer AMS (or worse).

Joe, I am not saying "do not go - you will die" I am saying pay attention to what the challenge is and prepare. Rob R's recommendation is an excellent one. Wheeler Peak in New Mexico (near Taos) is a fun climb, but still challenging (my wife and I have climbed the NM Wheeler a couple times - fun and scenic). There are a couple of other Wheeler Peaks that are interesting as well, like the one in Great Basin in Nevada - PPine can tell you about that one. There is several nice peaks in Texas as well (the far western corner, a couple tucked up against the NM border and some just south of that).

What I am saying is that if you do the 48-hour "home to the summit" of Whitney itinerary, you will find the trek pretty miserable and no fun at all. Push too hard and succumb to your buddies' macho, and you run the risk of needing an evacuation.

Your choice is this:

A. Go with your friends at their pace and suffer miserably with no fun at all

B. Do some multiday 14ers, acclimatize properly, and have one of the most wonderful treks in your life, one which you will have fond memories for the rest of your life.

Oh, so you will know where I am coming from - I have (like Ed) climbed a number of peaks over 20,000 ft (Denali for one, plus several peaks in the Andes, as Ed has as well), 3 of the "7-Summits" (because they were interesting, not because they were 3 of the "7" - Denali, Kilimanjaro, Vinson), climbed on all 7 continents, been doing technical climbs since I was in my teens, I teach technical climbing, etc etc - and I have been involved in several rescues of people who went beyond their abilities, some of which were on "walk-ups"/

1:32 p.m. on September 16, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Driving to lone pine from Castaic.  If I don't post anything by this time Sunday then you'll know the Mt. Won.  

Via con dios

4:26 p.m. on September 16, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

20160916_132029.jpg

12:22 a.m. on September 18, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

The mountain didn't win.   Stepped off from the port hole @ 3 am.  Made the summit by 12. The Gulley was the hardest thing physically and mentally I have ever endured.  The Devils back bone was the highlight of my day by far.  Took the whitney trail down all 11 miles.  What an exhausting trek.  Got back to the porthole @ 7pm.  I will post a play by play with pics when I have some rest and better service.  

20160917_122107.jpg

All praise be to God 

10:38 a.m. on September 18, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

Are you talking about Whitney Portal?

Congratulations. You defied the odds.

10:54 a.m. on September 18, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
612 forum posts

Nice work!  

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier ( we were out on the trail in late August). But I would have added o e key note to Bill's excellent posts on altitude:. Water.  The symptoms of dehydration and altitude sickness are very similar in the early stages, and the two exacerbate each other.  Stay hydrated!

And if you ARE planning a trip to Peru, don't forget that 12 hours on an airplane help you get acclimated -- after all, the cabins are pressurized at around 6K

2:10 a.m. on September 19, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Ok.....

Flew into LAX from Houston Thursday evening.  Got our rental car and drove to my wife's cousins house in Castaic.  Friday 0730 Drew (wife's cousin who invited me and started this journey back in June) drive to the visitor center to get the permits and meet the rest of our group.  No permits available. Tinker around lone pine and go back at 2 and get our day passes.  Lone pine is one of the "cutest" little towns I have visited and a great place for last minute resources. Checked into the Dow Villa a beautiful inexpensive and history rich establishment.  We stayed on the "old side" and I highly recommend it if you can handle the hostel style bathrooms. Ate some pretrek pizza and crashed.  Sat 2 am alarms go off and we get up.  I'm ready fast and stretching. 

IMG-20160918-WA0026.jpg
0300 we are at the portal.  Last minute adjustment and gear check and a brief from our guide (8th trip up)

We set off and there is no "muchesmo" there is no "brovado" it's encouragement and team efforts. We travel at the pace of the slowest hiker (me)

Stop at lower boyscout to refuel and refresh. It's freaking cold.  39 degrees.  We are back on the trail and heading to the ledges.  A brief miss calculating and some back tracking and we make it to the ledges.  The sights are majestic and I know there is a God more than I ever have.  

By this point I'm already exhausted and my legs are full of lactic acid.  But the Alpenglow kept me going. 

20160917_060552.jpg
Continuing on we stick to the mountaineers route breaking occasionally and pointing out wildlife,  rock formations and taking it all in.  Lunch at iceberg lake before taking on the Gulley.  This is my first TRUE thought of turning back.  Looking up in notice small dark figures ascending the Gulley in the shadow just right of the East face.  I'm exhausted but other than the effects of fatigue I'm feeling no signs of altitude sickness.  But my lungs are heavy and full. I'm readying how I'm going to word my resignation to the rest of the group. 

20160917_085325.jpg
But before I can gather my thoughts the encouragement continues. And at 0930 we step off for the Gulley.  Every step, every reach, every stretch on the Gulley comes with a price.  It's freezing in the shadow.  For anyone hitting the Gulley for the first time I recommend sun block and excessive chapstick.  The wind is cold and pushes down the draw like a warning that your efforts are in vein and there is no reprieve from the self inflicted a agony your in.  But that sun at the top looks warm and inviting.  And every inch your closer to the top and closer to the sun.  

IMG-20160918-WA0020.jpg

Finally you reach the top.  The Notch.  One of the most blessed places on earth.  The view is amazing.  The accomplishment is astounding. I'm a better man at the notch than I was at the base. A quick rest and refuel and reflection in the notch @1130

There are 2 ways to the summit from here. Skirt around the north edge and then ascend from the west.  OR straight south from the notch.  The Devils back bone.  500 ft from the summit. We go slow.  We point out ice in handholds to the next climber.  We are fluid and focused.  A slip here,  a fall here,  a lack of concentration here and they don't need to rush to your aid. Save the fuel, there's no rush, your body isn't going anywhere.  This was my favorite part.  I felt more in control of my life and body than I ever have.  It's me and the mountain.  She put hand holds, ledges and crevices in the granite for me,  it's up to me to pick my line and follow through. I don't recommend this route to anyone.  It's dangerous and it's an unnecessary risk.  But obviously that's just a public service announcement.  It's glorious and it's rewarding.  

We are now at the summit.  Each climber turning around to encourage the next.  Once all 7 are safe and flat footed at 14508 ft we celebrate.  1200

IMG-20160917-WA0100.jpg
Sign the register.  Take a couple selfies and take a some group pictures.  You've made it to the top.  

IMG-20160917-WA0074.jpg

But your journey isn't over.  Refuel, regroup. The way up is a methodical tactical and thought out maneuver.  The decent is a marathon.  The decent is a different Beast. Equally as physically demanding and mentally taxing. I never used trekking poles but I HIGHLY recommend them for the walk down. 

The 11 miles back down the whitney trail of switch backs, steep grade,  occasional accenting and trekking is tedious, monotonous,  daunting and taxing. TAXING is the ideal word to describe it.  Next to the Gulley it is the second hardest thing I have ever subjected my body too. But once again,  around every switch back is another sight to behold.  Another glance up at the summit.  Another step closer to comfort.  

20160917_134510.jpg

20160917_145207.jpg

20160917_174928.jpg

We finally make it back to the portal just as dark feel on the valley.  1900.  We went out of the way to check out lone pine lake pictured above.  The picture doesn't do it justice.  A true work of art from the a Master Illustrator.  

To anyone who might be taking on this task for the first time I offer only a few tidbits of advice.  

TRAIN: be in the best physical condition you can be in. You should be at a level in fitness that you embrace the suck.  Relish in the pain of a great workout. Wear soreness like a badge of honor.  If you go watch the news on the treadmill and shoot the shit in the locker room, then whitney will eat you alive.  cardio was a huge factor for me and I have 364 days to work on before next year's trip up.  But upper body strength and leg strength came into play tremendously.  I struggled.  I know the areas I can improve on. You should also be at the level of fitness that you can eat and be satisfied with foods that provide function over flavor.  You eat because it serves a purpose and provides you a resource.  

HYDRATE: no you CAN'T ward off altitude sickness,  but you can keep it at bay.  I firmly believe that diet, ecersize and hydration puts your body in prime condition to operate and function efficiently.  Then once your body experiences deficiency it's a deficit from 100% opposed to a deficit from 75%. If that makes any sense.  I started off with 32oz of gatorade. Then filled my life straw bottle from natural resources.  Then refilled for another 32oz garotade mid day.  Followed with more life straw bottle

GEAR: pack light.  Spend the extra money to get the correct gear. We had a wide array of gear in our group. From t shirts and carpenter pants, underarmour head to toe, compression leggings and shorts.  I wore columbia hiking shoes (low rise for maneuverability,  some recommend high ankle support, but I'm more comfortable with flexibility) and magellan pants, compression tank underskirt, dry fit short sleeve,  and a thin magellan shell pull over. Beanie n gloves.  Hat I wore a ball cap, but recommend a boonie style hat.  

11:14 p.m. on September 20, 2016 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,919 forum posts

Congrat's ...You got some great shots and glad the trip went well...Nice trip report BTW....

1:33 p.m. on September 21, 2016 (EDT)
141 reviewer rep
81 forum posts

Way to go! Excellent!!!

9:46 p.m. on September 21, 2016 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,278 forum posts

Now that you have crossed this off the bucket list, would you do it a second time in one day?

Ed

3:58 p.m. on September 22, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Yes we are already planning next year's trip.  The guide who took us (8 times up) says this was his last trip up.  If that's a fact my wife's cousin (drew his 4th) trip will lead the group. I absolutely loved every second.  the preparation, the time before stepping off, the sights, the pain, the self doubt that each step was my last then it wasn't.  The juice was well worth the squeeze.  

In a perfect world I'd spend weeks at a time there.  I could have camped at several locations for extended periods and been perfectly content. 

But I fish when I can-not when I want.  I hunt when I can-not when I want.  I will climb when I can-not when I want. Or id be climbing now

May 26, 2019
Quick Reply