Good pijamas?

11:41 a.m. on November 27, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hello.

I know you usually talk about more important things, like boots or jackets, but what I'm looking now is a pajama, a good and thick one, very warm, for men.

What brands do you suggest with a price between 50 and 130$?

Preferably not made with an unpleasant fabric (that discards many fleece of inexpensive plastic fabric).

It will be used both for sleeping in the mountains and for sleeping in a cold house.

12:34 p.m. on November 27, 2016 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

Long johns, while designed as a base layer, can serve the multiple purpose of a warm layer and a pajama. Any of the good brands will wick sweat away and keep you warm. Look on the Trailspace reviews for tops - https://www.trailspace.com/gear/base-layer-tops/ and bottoms - https://www.trailspace.com/gear/base-layer-bottoms/ . There are one-piece ones as well. You can get them in various warmth levels. I have light, medium, heavy for different levels of winter outings.

1:42 p.m. on November 27, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

I agree.  For lightweight PJs, I use some very light cotton.  But for warmth, some nice long-johns are the ticket. Lots of option there. 

Look for ones with flowers or fairies on them for special treat on the trail....hee hee

10:09 p.m. on November 27, 2016 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,419 forum posts

+1 on LJs

Ed

5:54 a.m. on November 28, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Do they feel nice?

I mean, I don't like the feeling of most synthetic fabrics, though I can tolerate it if it's really cold.

9:15 a.m. on November 28, 2016 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

LJs are available in non synthetics also....

3:11 p.m. on November 28, 2016 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,916 reviewer rep
2,269 forum posts

if you don't like synthetic, merino wool long johns might suit you better.  patagonia's merino air is particularly comfortable.  alas, the merino air are terrifically expensive, about $130 for a top and the same for a bottom.  

well worth not sleeping in cotton.  during a summer trip, my son was inundated while sleeping under a tarp.  his sleeping bag, his clothes, his pack all got soaked.  he would have been better off sleeping in something that wasn't cotton. had a very unpleasant night.  

1:03 a.m. on November 29, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,972 forum posts

When its warm cotton. When its cool flannel. When its cold merino wool or fleece pants. Sometimes two layers if it is below 10-15 degrees.

6:15 a.m. on November 29, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Most things I've seen are very expensive. I buy from Spain and the shipping is expensive as well.

10:37 a.m. on November 29, 2016 (EST)
28 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

every once in a while Sierra Trading Post and Campmor have silk underwear on sale.

Long pants and long sleeve shirt. Really comfortable to sleep in and does add a decent amount of warmth.

1:05 a.m. on December 4, 2016 (EST)
1,024 reviewer rep
682 forum posts

Good polyester long johns are "fleeced" (lightly knapped) in the inside so they are soft and, unlike wool, non-allergenic. They come in about three different weights.

Take long johns instead of PJs so they can do double duty on cold days if necessary.

Plus even on average cool summer nights lightweight long johns will keep your sleeping bag cleaner and much less stinky.

1:31 p.m. on December 4, 2016 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,205 reviewer rep
1,106 forum posts
11:24 p.m. on December 18, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

LJ's will answer your question and need 

10:19 p.m. on December 22, 2016 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
377 forum posts

silk pajamas can be very light and you may find some at a reasonable price.

I use merino pants (bottom)  and Tee but only in cool to cold weather.

BTW, if you are in Europe, Aldi two or three times a year have very good value Merino stuff. You need to try for size, they can be a bit tricky.

6:56 a.m. on January 5, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

Silk, capaline, and merino are all viable options for long johns. Now I don't know your intended use exactly, but figured I would throw in down. There once again are many options when it comes to down pjs.

When its just cool to cold I just use Patagonia capaline 3 top and bottoms(long johns). I would like to got some wool ones but these fit the bill for now. Capaline is a synthetic but doesn't have that not breathable plastic feel that I think you might be referring to.

When its really cold I wear down long johns, sometimes over the capaline. They are super warm. I personally really like the ones from Cabela's as they are far cheaper than other options.  I only own the pants because I don't have a need for the top.

They feel great on the skin , in my opinion anyway, and are by far the warmest option. The one down side to the cabelas down long johns is that they don't have pockets. Other than that they are perfect for my winter needs.

Often I will just lounge around camp in the winter with them on, often sleep in them when its super cold, and sometimes wear them as a mid layer under regular pants while hiking in very frigid temps though this use is pretty rare. If I am going to be doing a lot of camp chores such as gathering firewood etc then I will wear pants over them to prevent damage.

5:19 p.m. on February 25, 2017 (EST)
196 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Im not a guy, but Smartwool all the way, baby!!!  

Although when freezing my buns off in Utah, I have slept in (drumroll please) my down pants, down jacket and fleece socks (lol) and that's in my Montbell 15 degree down bag, most of the time I'm perfectly happy with Smartwool leggings and tops.  Warm, breathable and stretchy, I love these things.  

10:12 p.m. on February 26, 2017 (EST)
97 reviewer rep
79 forum posts

Long johns with light sweatshirts or sweatpants.

November 18, 2019
Quick Reply