Survey

12:15 a.m. on March 11, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi there everyone I'm conducting a survey for my college class and would greatly appreciate your help!

1) Where did you purchase your current water bottle and why?

2) Do you prefer purchasing it in a store or online?

3) Would you pay a premium price for a water bottle?

4) What are your 3 essentials items to bring while hiking?

5) What do you like and dislike about your current water bottle?

5:58 a.m. on March 11, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,943 reviewer rep
1,342 forum posts

Hi Daniel,

Hope this helps. Good luck with your class.

1 Sporting goods store. They sell the bike bottles I've been using for years.

2 Don't care

3 Premium sounds too expensive. I'd pay more for a light metal bottle, but premium in this case means $50+ so I've stuck with plastic

4 I have more than 3, but the top 3 would be food, water and shoes :)

5 They are light but the plastic is hard to keep clean on extended trips.

9:36 a.m. on March 11, 2018 (EDT)
67 reviewer rep
334 forum posts

1. Probably REI

2. No difference

3. No

4.  There are ten essentials, not three, but hiking where i do, a water container of some sort is always with me.  Also fire making material and additional clothing appropriate for the environment.

5.  It empties too soon.  I would pay more for one that was self filling, with blue tooth capability and self propulsion, as well as internet connectivity.

A water bottle is a hugely mundane bit of gear.  A recycled beverage container does just as well as the fanciest item on the market.  All they do is hold water without leaking.  Capacity is key...

10:35 a.m. on March 11, 2018 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
3,381 forum posts

hikermor is right that the best water bottles are recycled plastic ones. They are free, light and it is a way to keep stuff out of landfills.  I don't care about the first 3 questions.  Three essentials are water, clothes and my dog. I like plastic, but feel like the aluminum ones are more dependable and durable.  Nalgene is heavy but works fine. 

10:57 a.m. on March 11, 2018 (EDT)
6,943 reviewer rep
1,342 forum posts

If you don't buy those disposable plastic bottles you don't have to worry about them ending up in the landfill. The first R is Reduce and comes before Reuse and Recycle ;)

2:21 p.m. on March 11, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
114 forum posts

1: local outfitters,...we have two very good ones

2: whatever is appropriate at that specific time

3: I have 40 oz and 64 oz stainless bottles as well as a 16 oz stainless sipping bottle. I guess you could say they came at a premium but have been used thousands of times and still as good as new, no leaching chemicals like plastics and water can be boiled and sterilized in a pinch.

4: My pack, the 10 essentials and my Helinox ground chair...

5: They contain the water in a dependable fashion...but they don’t make the water any lighter...

8:33 p.m. on March 11, 2018 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

welcone Daniel 

1 walmart just because I needed one

2 store - so I can examine it

3 yes if I thought it was that much better 

4 other than clothes- knife, fire starter and tarp (but as others pointed out there are 10)

5 it works

7:12 a.m. on March 12, 2018 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,893 forum posts

1) Dollar General I use disposable plastic bottles.Winter I have Nalgene bottles purchased online.

2) both

3) depends on material and use

4) I take 10 and theres a listing on this site...

5) I can recycle them when their old...

1:02 p.m. on March 12, 2018 (EDT)
192 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

Daniel McDonald said:

Hi there everyone I'm conducting a survey for my college class and would greatly appreciate your help!

1. I don't use water bottles. I have used the same hydration bladder for backpacking for 7+ years, have one in each of my packs.

2. n/a

3. No.

4. The essentials for hikers are 1. your well informed, well researched and trained brain, to keep you out of trouble and in the event trouble comes your way to get out of it. 2. the 11 essentials - food, water, shelter, light source, navigation tools AND skills, layered clothing, fire building skills/tools, a plan you leave with someone trustworthy, sun protection, first aid, emergency repair supplies.

5. n/a

7:19 a.m. on March 13, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,087 forum posts
  1. I get my bottles free (used medical saline bottles) - extremely light and durable.
  2. See above.
  3. No, I found price has no bearing on the performance of the bottle.
  4. A pack that contains considerably more than three items; knowledge of the areas I am traveling in; and knowledge of the weather forecast.
  5. Answered in #1 (above).
8:42 a.m. on March 13, 2018 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,615 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

-Heavy Cover, heavy cover canteen set. I prefer the canteen style as they don't roll, fits better in a lot of pack pockets, is bombproof and can be put on fire/stove. Lighter than a Nalgene, and tougher. Mouth is wide enough to easily drink and not spill but also big enough to put things inside easily. And lastly because Chris is a great guy, with a great product, and a fellow vet.

-I prefer in a store, but online is ok provided adequate information is available to research the product.

-Yes

Shelter, food, water. Though that is far from my complete list. Essential to us means things we can't go without. My 3 preferred or luxury items rregardless of essentialness would yield a completely different list.

I like that it is tough as nails, light, has the perfect width mouth, holds a little over a liter, doesn't roll away like round bottles, fits better in many pack pockets, can be put on fire/stove. Comes with a nesting cup and lid. What I dislike is the price, but I mitigated this with some trading and bartering.

10:20 a.m. on March 13, 2018 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
3,381 forum posts

I second ghostdog's motion to always bring a Helinox chair. 

I don't think there are 10 essentials, but a lot of other people do. 

12:54 p.m. on March 13, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
114 forum posts

ppine said:

I second ghostdog's motion to always bring a Helinox chair. 

I don't think there are 10 essentials, but a lot of other people do. 

You are absolut correct. The original idea was 10 catagories and has evolved into 10 systems but it is mostly a catchy name. It is simply a good checklist to get one thinkin. That is probably the most essential thing. From experience I personally adhere to most of the categories to a minimalist but highly functional degree leaning heavier towards protection and readiness in regard to weather exposure but not forgetting other experiences either. There are plenty of folks who don’t take any of them, see it all the time...

As as for the Helinox ground chair, that goes on every day hike too. As you know, it turns any spot in the world a comfortable lounging abode. The Mountainsmith lumbar day pack makes a fine lumbar cushion for it, amazing comfort, low enough to use the ground for a table. Within a short 15 minute drive there is a trailhead that is a portal into more than 400 square miles of designated wilderness from upland Sonoran desert to sub alpine mountainous terrain and everything in between, and we take advantage of that at least twice a week. The minimalistic chairs make all that as comfortable as our living room during meal stops.Guess that makes it my 11th essential...

10:08 p.m. on March 13, 2018 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
3,381 forum posts

Lone Stranger, 

I never said anything about buying water bottles, just using them. 

9:41 a.m. on March 14, 2018 (EDT)
67 reviewer rep
334 forum posts

A nice addition to a recycling plastic beverage bottle is a steel cup in which the bottle fits.  If the cup fits a nalgene, it will probably fit a Gatorade, etc.  There is critical variation in diameters of some cups.  This gives you something in which to boil and cook, although creek Steward demonstrates boiling water in a plastic container over an open fire..

There are actually 9.8577462 essentials. Precision is very important!

11:06 a.m. on March 14, 2018 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
3,381 forum posts

I learned backpacking from Dad and started at age 11.  We never made a list. When my pack was done, he would come in the room and ask some questions like "Do you have something to make a fire with, something to sleep with, and something to cook with"?

"Okay then you are ready." It was the same conversation every time. 

5:22 p.m. on March 14, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
114 forum posts

hikermor said:

A nice addition to a recycling plastic beverage bottle is a steel cup in which the bottle fits.  If the cup fits a nalgene, it will probably fit a Gatorade, etc.  There is critical variation in diameters of some cups.  This gives you something in which to boil and cook, although creek Steward demonstrates boiling water in a plastic container over an open fire..

There are actually 9.8577462 essentials. Precision is very important!

i’ve seen the plastic bottle trick but have so far abstained from that fine beverage. LOL we used to boil water in a paper bag just to see it happen when I was a kid. 

And I do like your decimal point precision! ;)

7:50 p.m. on March 14, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,299 forum posts

I use Gatorade and Poweraid liter bottles, because they are cheap and last a long time.

Circle K stores

I have not bought a specially made water bottle in a many years, I used to use Nalgene.

Day hiking: Day pack, snacks and water     Backpacking Tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad

I like its light weightness, can't think of any dislikes

8:41 p.m. on March 14, 2018 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

If you don't buy those disposable plastic bottles you don't have to worry about them ending up in the landfill. The first R is Reduce and comes before Reuse and Recycle ;)

Actually it‘s Recycle,reduce then reuse, according to my English teacher or was it grammar:)

awh what the heck did they know anyway? LOL

6:02 a.m. on March 15, 2018 (EDT)
6,943 reviewer rep
1,342 forum posts

John Starnes said:

LoneStranger said:

Actually it‘s Recycle,reduce then reuse, according to my English teacher or was it grammar:)

awh what the heck did they know anyway? LOL

I'm guessing that might have been the alphabet you were studying there John. If you were learning about preserving natural resources they would have explained that the biggest thing we can do avoid sending stuff to landfills is to not make or acquire it in the first place. By using less or none of something like plastic water bottles we take the strain off of the systems in place to deal with them. Reuse is nice as is recycling, but especially in the case of those stupid plastic bottles, not using them in the first place is best. That is why Reduce comes first.

This isn't about just water bottles. It is about all of the crap we buy and then throw away. You may have noticed that I and others will include mention of excess or streamlined packaging in our reviews. A little thought goes a long way when it comes to not screwing up the planet we live on any more than it already is. The problem is that too many people are focused on the little part and not the thinking part.

7:01 a.m. on March 15, 2018 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

I'm guessing that might have been the alphabet you were studying there John.

Correct- That was an attempt at humor.

and I agree  with you . It is sickening to see all this garbage being thrown all over the place, ugying  nature by unfaithful stewards of our planet. Make me mad as H_ _l At what people throw out the window and along the trail. So I’m definitely with you!

7:56 a.m. on March 15, 2018 (EDT)
6,943 reviewer rep
1,342 forum posts

Just used your humor as a foundation for my sermon John. Never miss an opportunity to preach the gospel of a clean earth is my philosophy :)

That being said, I'll just leave this here in case anyone is looking for a reason to give up their bottled water habit.

https://orbmedia.org/sites/default/files/FinalBottledWaterReport.pdf

7:31 p.m. on March 15, 2018 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

Just used your humor as a foundation for my sermon John. Never miss an opportunity to preach the gospel of a clean earth is my philosophy :)

That being said, I'll just leave this here in case anyone is looking for a reason to give up their bottled water habit.

https://orbmedia.org/sites/default/files/FinalBottledWaterReport.pdf

Well preacher we get that it is bad. It looks ugly all over the ground it’s bad for the soil and it’s turning us all to plastic on the inside. So what’s a planet to do? We can’t use aluminum cause the scientists already warned us about them. Recon we ought to go back to using clay jars(mighty heavy) or Gords( awful bulky)? Since I’m on your team in this. Educate us.

maybe start a new topic so we don’t take this one off course 

September 18, 2018
Quick Reply