water filtration in NC - worry about virus?

3:53 p.m. on May 16, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Looking at water filtration/purification systems - thinking the sawyer squeeze would fit me best.  Good balance and versatility - able to fill bottles, but also comes with bags that don't take up much space - simple to use.

That being said - it doesn't filter out viruses - from what I see hep A is the big virus to be worried about - and in the US the risk in minimal - I am vaccinated against Hep A due to previous travels - but obviously don't want to rely on that as a primary defense.

How big of a deal are viruses in the us - do most people use a "better" system for water purification?

thanks

7:16 p.m. on May 16, 2018 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
486 forum posts

Well only you can answer that question. If you have any doubts I suggest you do. I use the sawyer squeeze and am fine with it. And in the mountains sometimes just drink straight out of streams. And Patrick reminded me when we hooked up on a recent hike that up top it’s pretty pure. And he’s right about that! 

Now if your in a heavily conjested (especially hunting) area or the water is extremely questionable boil it! The reason I say that is having grown up hunting wounded deer would quite often run to water to cool down that hot lead then die right there, and I have seen to often where some slob hunters would dump carcasses in creeks and rivers. 

As too the specifics on viruse, I’ll leave that to those people who are better informed than I.

I personally would suggest you use a bottle with the Sawyer, because you usually have to expand the bags anyway to fill them up. Try them in the sink 1st and you will see how much easier the 1 liter bottle is.

7:36 p.m. on May 16, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

John Starnes said:

Well only you can answer that question. If you have any doubts I suggest you do. I use the sawyer squeeze and am fine with it. And in the mountains sometimes just drink straight out of streams. And Patrick reminded me when we hooked up on a recent hike that up top it’s pretty pure. And he’s right about that! 

Now if your in a heavily conjested (especially hunting) area or the water is extremely questionable boil it! The reason I say that is having grown up hunting wounded deer would quite often run to water to cool down that hot lead then die right there, and I have seen to often where some slob hunters would dump carcasses in creeks and rivers. 

As too the specifics on viruse, I’ll leave that to those people who are better informed than I.

I personally would suggest you use a bottle with the Sawyer, because you usually have to expand the bags anyway to fill them up. Try them in the sink 1st and you will see how much easier the 1 liter bottle is.

ya - read a lot of the reviews and they say to use a bottle, figure I could have a bag as a back up if I know I might be longer between sources - the water out here always looks pure, but the things you can't see are the things that get ya!  I and my wife are very cautious - so would likely never drink straight - haven't done that since the boundary waters area

8:35 p.m. on May 16, 2018 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
486 forum posts

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan and are doing your due diligence well. And if it worries You overly much then do this in addition to all your other precautions carry hand sanitizer also. A million people will filter water/ boil, but it makes no difference if they do all that and then wash hands in the same water and touch food utensils eyes and such. I had many of the same worries and finally decided that if I didn’t get past my what ifs, then I’d never get anywhere. For me it came down to prepare as best as possible kinda like your doing but that there were just things I would have to get past or deal with as they happened. Things like spending my 1st night in bear country ( not much sleep that night), getting cut real bad, hiking 5 1/2 mile on a messed up knee and so on. 

What im getting at is you will probably be and do just fine because you‘ve taken the time to do your homework. 

Happy Trails. 

10:36 a.m. on May 17, 2018 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

What are the water sources you plan to be drawing from? Can't determine what type of filter/purification is "right" without knowing what you're dealing with.

2:05 p.m. on May 17, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Springs and creeks in the Nc mountains 

10:58 p.m. on May 17, 2018 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Then the Sawyer Squeeze would work for you. I use the Mini, smaller and lighter but some people experience diminished flow compared to the Squeeze.

I ask because the Squeeze and Mini are designed for the kinds of water sources you're talking about, but they would be the wrong choice at lower elevations near or downstream from any kind of population, agriculture, livestock, manufacturing/processing, etc.

6:41 a.m. on May 18, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Thanks.  There is some camping I do near falls lake (not a Clean water source) which is near those things you mention. there I bring in my own water.  If I had to purify near Those sources, do you recommend boiling? Or a higher end filter? (Or either) 

8:12 a.m. on May 18, 2018 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Sawyer has a new filter that is designed to handle some of those kinds of things. There are others as well. Boiling doesn't remove heavy metals or many chemical compounds.

4:12 p.m. on May 21, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,525 reviewer rep
2,150 forum posts

the lightest and least expensive way to kill viruses is a steripen. there are some filters that can screen out viruses - but they are heavy and pricy (see MSR Guardian). 

in the US, i think the primary microorganism concern is probably bacteria and protozoans, not viruses, but everyone has their own risk tolerance.  

4:06 p.m. on May 22, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,390 forum posts

Now would be a good time to discuses the difference between water sterilization and water filtration.   There is much to be said on the subject.  I also think that anyone who has water filtration/sterilization thoughts and questions, if they are serious, should start out with Bill S.'s four part series.  https://www.trailspace.com/articles/backcountry-water-treatment-part-1-hydration.html

4:15 p.m. on May 22, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,390 forum posts
February 23, 2019
Quick Reply