South Sister Hike Advice

3:49 p.m. on July 15, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi all,

My husband and I are going to Oregon in August and considering hiking South Sister. I've heard that it's super difficult, so I want to make sure it's doable if we go.

We love hiking and are in shape, but we don't do tons of hiking. We did visit Patagonia where we did several 15-20 mile hikes which was fine for us, including Laguna de los Tres (Mt. Fitz Roy), and Torres del Paine. How much more difficult is SS compared to those? 

Thanks in advance!

DA

8:08 p.m. on July 15, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
671 forum posts

It's not that difficult.  And there are plenty of exits if you want to leave early.  I assume that you'll take a few days to do this?  You should be fine. 

10:46 p.m. on July 17, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,943 forum posts

Just watch the weather.  The Cascades can be cold and wet even in summer, especially at higher elevations. 

12:45 a.m. on July 20, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,943 forum posts

We did a trip to the Sisters Wilderness recently in early September.  There was a lot of snow on the peaks.  One afternoon at moderate elevation, at around 4,500 feet the high was 38 with a lot of wind.  We had snow and sleet at night. 

October 16, 2019
Quick Reply