One Stove or Two?

9:13 a.m. on March 20, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

My wife and I are going on a 4 day hike and I have a Jetboil Flash.  Should I pack a stove for each of us or just use the one and share?

9:27 a.m. on March 20, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,730 forum posts

One good one is the right answer. 

9:50 a.m. on March 20, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks.  I want us to be able to eat at the same time and not have to wait, clean and now you cook.  I like the Flash.  Do you consider it a good one?

5:10 p.m. on March 20, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,404 forum posts

Here are the reviews from members and nonmembers of Trailspace.  If you do not already own the stove I would read all of them and then decide if that stove will fit all of your needs on the trail.

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/jetboil/flash-cooking-system/

6:22 p.m. on March 20, 2019 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
420 forum posts

two people can easily cook together, using any of the more common backpacking stoves.   Are you planning completely separate meals?

9:41 a.m. on March 21, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,730 forum posts

A stove has to be dependable.  Butane/propane is okay in warm weather.  In the cold you need white gas. 

5:03 p.m. on March 21, 2019 (EDT)
1,977 reviewer rep
361 forum posts

Are you cooking or just boiling water for rehydrating? The Jetboil isn't great for cooking, narrow and deep means food isn't as evenly heated and makes it harder to clean. It is optimized for water boil (hence the name).

May 22, 2019
Quick Reply