Tent advice

11:10 a.m. on April 26, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Fist a little about me, I am a complete novice when it comes to camping, I have never spent a night in a tent, so I am clueless.  During June I cook at a camp for 11-13 year old kids.  There is a cooks cabin however it is reserved for the female kitchen staff.  We men either sleep in the boys cabins with campers or bring camp trailers.  I am not ready to buy a camper yet and do not relish the thought of sleeping in the cabins with the boys again.  They are good kids, but they are kids, they stay up late, I get up early.

Anyway I am looking for an easy to setup cabin style tent with room for a full size air mattress and my gear, that is well ventilated and able to withstand a South Carolina Thunderstorm, and easy to stow in the trunk of my car or backseat.   I will be living in it for a week at a time.

Thanx for any advice.

3:29 p.m. on April 26, 2019 (EDT)
2,017 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

For those needs you should stay away from "backpacking" tents and look to tents made for car camping. Backpacking tents are designed to be small and light, you are going to want some living space and headroom, and it sounds like overall weight won't be an issue for you. There are many, many choices, I suggest going to an REI or other outdoor store and looking at tents, bend a salesperson's ear to give you input.

6:57 p.m. on April 26, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
673 forum posts

JR is correct.  We've had very good luck with Kelty and Eureka car camping g tents.  Try to avoid really cheap tents, as they leak in the rain....

And learn the tricks to picking out the best way to pit your tent...out of drainage areas, staked out tightly, covering the groundcloth completely, and with a small trench to re-direct and water on the ground...

10:29 p.m. on April 26, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,120 reviewer rep
1,060 forum posts

Balzaccom has a great point- even the best tents will fail if you pitch them poorly, or have bad site selection, etc. On the flip side a lower cost (as long as it’s not a terribly constructed) tent will do just fine if you learn to protect it to minimize sun, wind, rain. If you are really concerned about it letting water in ask, or research, a tents Hh (hydrostatic head). It will give you an idea of the type of conditions it is designed to withstand in terms of water pressure (the higher the number the better in terms of water resistance). They will often give you a value for the floor and fly separately. 

Also a note to keep your eyes out for used deals. So long as it’s been stored, and cared for properly, many tents outlast the couple years people use them for. 

11:57 p.m. on April 26, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,402 forum posts

Coleman, and the brands mentioned by balzaccom are good brands.  If you are on a budget, consider buying used off E-Bay.  I prefer the "cabin" style tents.  They have vertical side walls, a roof sloping up from the left and right sides of the ten to a high point over the main entrance.  Get one with large, screened vent windows on the left and right side walls.  Cabin tents are ususally cooler than dome shaped tents or tents with sloping side walls. 

Standing water after a rain can be an issue, regardless of tent design.  If you are there for weeks or more consider devising a method to elevate the tent floor above the surrounding ground level, AND DON'T PLACE YOUR TENT IN A LOW SPOT WHERE WATER MAY COLLECT!  Some folks assemble a decking from 2X4s and plywood and place it under their tent to reduce water issues; I have also seen folks raise the ground level under under the tent with an earthen platform made of dirt excavated elsewhere, or bags of sand.  Most large tents will stand up well to a 25 mph wind, but all bets are off beyond that.  Base camp expedition tents fare better in winds, but they tend to be rather pricey.  If it gets real windy you may need to collapse your tent, else risk wind damage.    

cabin-tent03.jpgExample of a cabin tent.

Ed

4:53 p.m. on April 27, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,300 reviewer rep
407 forum posts

And while the wind itself can certainly damage a tent, don’t overlook the wind breaking off tree limbs, tops, or even blowing over entire trees or standing deadwood onto the tent. 

1:30 p.m. on May 3, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

From my limited experience, I really enjoy a tent I can stand up in. That is if I don't have to hike it in. Just makes it easier to change and move around. 

October 19, 2019
Quick Reply