Hammock Camping?

5:47 a.m. on May 31, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

i am a newbie. was wondering if people have tried camping hammocks rather than tents? i just read a blogger's explanation and i feel like trying a full hammock camping rather than sleeping in tents.

any one with experience?

6:26 a.m. on May 31, 2019 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
521 forum posts

Jessica Ann Lee said:

i am a newbie too. was wondering if people have tried camping hammocks rather than tents? i just read a blogger's explanation and i feel like trying a full hammock camping rather than sleeping in tents.

any one with experience?

Jéssica 

depending on where you hike , yes there are quite a few advantages that hammocks offer. Sleeping is great if your back allows, since you won’t be completely flat. Other advantages are you always have a recliner and a tarp over you for rain and sun block. And during summer you get a breeze under your back also. So yes many nice features come with them. But I would suggest you try one in your back yard 1st.

on a side note and this applys no matter how you camp always look for dead limbs above and trees that are large enough. 

1:47 a.m. on June 2, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,974 forum posts

Some people really like them.

My back cannot take a nap in a hammock, much less sleeping all night. 

A lot of places there are no trees.  You can't move around.  Where is my dog going to sleep?  Where is my girl going to sleep?

3:16 p.m. on June 4, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

personally speaking, Hammock is more suitable for short time sleeping! I prefer the tent!

4:20 p.m. on June 4, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,752 reviewer rep
1,478 forum posts

ppine is right, some folks like them, some don't. You have to try to find out which you are.

We set up three last weekend on a family outing and all slept well. Frau Stranger said it was the best night's sleep she's had in months despite windy squalls passing through all night.

5:10 p.m. on June 4, 2019 (EDT)
6,916 reviewer rep
2,271 forum posts

for summer, i tend to prefer tents because most of my hiking is in the Northeast. You have to expect relatively unexpected rain and high winds in the mountains, and I think tents deal with that better.

that said, I have taken week-long trips with a hammock and a tarp strung overhead and enjoyed it. the plus/minus depends a bit on whether you sleep well in hammocks or not (some people just don't like it) and on weather.

I have a ENO doublenest hammock and atlas straps; I rigged a generic tarp to save money but would probably spend on a dedicated tarp in the future.

advantages:

-no need to find flat ground or anchor a tent.

-in many places in the East, rangers will tolerate backwoods camping outside the designated areas because it's easier to leave no trace.

-significantly better air circulation than a tent.

-no need for a sleeping pad

-in decent weather, you can use a quilt instead of a sleeping bag

disadvantages:

-can't use them if you don't have adequate places to anchor the hammock or tarp.

-a good hammock, hanging straps and purpose-built tarp aren't much lighter or less expensive than a decent tent.

-no matter how good the tarp is, high winds and vertical rain can make for a long night. 

1:53 a.m. on June 5, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,419 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

You have to expect relatively unexpected rain and high winds in the mountains, 

??? :)  But if you expect the unexpected, isn't then expected?  And all winds in the mountains are high, by virtue of the elevation which they occur...  But should you encounter a high wind in a low valley, it is probably just me clearing my pipes.

Ed

12:20 p.m. on June 5, 2019 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,948 forum posts

always wise advise to test a hammock or tent for a couple of nights in your yard.You have to see if its really what you want to use for a shelter....

12:48 p.m. on June 5, 2019 (EDT)
6,916 reviewer rep
2,271 forum posts

whomeworry said:

leadbelly2550 said:

You have to expect relatively unexpected rain and high winds in the mountains, 

??? :)  But if you expect the unexpected, isn't then expected?  And all winds in the mountains are high, by virtue of the elevation which they occur...  But should you encounter a high wind in a low valley, it is probably just me clearing my pipes.

Ed

sorry if i was unclear.  i don't mind hammock and tarp sleeping if it's breezy and a little rainy, which is entirely possible where i hike -even in the mountains, because like any sane person, i'm sleeping in areas that are well below treeline and at least somewhat protected. 25-30 mph and higher, driving rain? not hammock weather for me.  

6:49 p.m. on June 5, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,419 forum posts

Andrew:

You were plenty clear, I was just having fun with the literal interpretations of the adjectives used in this context. 

I guess, based on your additional comments, my preference for camping in the alpine zone (at tree line) is yet another indication of my insanity.

Ed

4:05 p.m. on July 23, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
91 forum posts

https://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

I tent and hammock, both have their benefits and I enjoy both but hammock set ups are generally a little heavier due to the need for under insulation.

9:35 a.m. on July 24, 2019 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,948 forum posts

Jessica have you tested to see if you like it?

9:48 a.m. on July 27, 2019 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
521 forum posts

Rocking the park! my great nephew Jaxson, 1st hang. 7 yrs old spent the whole nite.

proud of him
79D65E35-E9F2-4C28-8683-D98BCEA2D36B.jpg

November 19, 2019
Quick Reply