Dollar Tree saves me so much....

9:44 a.m. on June 11, 2014 (EDT)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,434 forum posts

Dollar Tree saves me so much money on food costs I can go from the $40 a week I used to spend on food for home and camping to $20 a week. 

I can buy $20 worth of pasta,ramen,peanut butter,crackers,oatmeal and instant drink mixes which will easily last me a week. So now instead of shopping at the normal grocery stores like Safeway,Albertson's and Smiths and spend at the least $40 a week I can shop at Dollar Tree and in other area's Dollar Stores and live on $80 a month.

Thus now instead of having to work 3 months this year I am only working 2 months and saving enough to live on for more than one year.

Yes, I live cheaply. My house,bed and kitchen are on my back or bike when I travel and backpack. No mortgage, car payments and/or family to support. So I live on $1000 a year spending my hard earned cash at Dollar Tree and Store's. 

So now next month in July I am leaving my job and heading out to hike the Gros Ventre,Teton and Wyoming Ranges here in western Wyoming for about a month. Then heading to spend a time in the Escalante country of eastern central Utah, then down to Zion NP, then to the Paria/Vermilion Wilderness, then up to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for a weeks hiking on Powell Plateau and down to Thunder River. Then to spend a week crossing the Grand Canyon rim to rim, then down the Arizona Trail to the southern portion south of Tucson.

10:14 a.m. on June 11, 2014 (EDT)
Patman
REVIEW CORPS
3,278 reviewer rep
2,311 forum posts

Clay,

That is a remarkable amount of money to live on.  So I'm remarking. :)

Have fun, be safe, and check-in when you can!

5:48 p.m. on June 11, 2014 (EDT)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,434 forum posts

Thanks Patman, I have made a life of living cheap and frugal. Now that I have worked at Dollar Tree a few weeks I know why I came back to Jackson this summer. Also with wages here being so much higher than other places I have easily saved enough in two months of work to live on the rest of the year for just groceries. 

I still have about 3 1/2 weeks of work with my last work day being the 5th of July.

Today I bought 12 ten ounce jars of peanut butter for $12, had i bought the same from Smiths or Albertsons the two regular grocery stores I would have spent about $36+ for the same amount.  I eat peanut butter straight from the jar or on crackers when I am backpacking. 12 jars will last me about a month.

Today I priced Top Ramen at Dollar Tree, its 5 packs for $1, Egg noodle are 12 oz for $1, instant oatmeal is 12 individual packs for $1, and I am thinking of making my own bear spray from a mixture of straight hot sauce and water or maybe come thick cooking oil to make it stick better in the face and eyes of bears and other hungry tent invaders. I can use a standard spray container set either to st or stream shot.

Even minced garlic is $1 for a large container.I use garlic to repel bugs by mixing it in food or eating it raw. In Alaska 36 years ago I found it worked better than bug spray and it doesn't wash off.

12:35 p.m. on June 12, 2014 (EDT)
herdingcats
919 reviewer rep
66 forum posts

Love it.  Adventure on!

1:57 a.m. on June 13, 2014 (EDT)
Erich
743 reviewer rep
1,446 forum posts

For my expeditions, Dollar Tree works, as does a store called Big Lots. Years...well decades ago, I used to get discounted foods for climbing expeditions by buying damaged cartons of things like ramen and sardines. I also shop at a store called Cash and Carry which is basically for restaurants, and suppliers for the fishing industry here in Seattle. Great prices on dried goods.

10:03 a.m. on June 13, 2014 (EDT)
Daniel Oates
2,900 reviewer rep
256 forum posts

Nice, Gary, very impressive! Cheers

11:05 a.m. on June 13, 2014 (EDT)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,434 forum posts

Erich, what are the prices like at Big Lots? They have them down in Tucson, my winter home area.

12:05 p.m. on June 13, 2014 (EDT)
Erich
743 reviewer rep
1,446 forum posts

Gary, I think Big Lots has good prices. They are essentially a clearing house for super markets that have one of three things. Damaged cartons, discontinued items, or out of date items. Often the labels say something like, "Best if used before....". Sardines, packages of Ramen, tins of mandarin oranges, lose a bit when they have been sitting too long. However, they are still edible. I always look for things like instant oatmeal in unpopular flavors, same with ramen and sardines. Dried beans, crackers, and odd ball stuff I've not seen before. I've also noticed that my local Safeway has an area of discounted items. Beer that doesn't sell well, or they only have a couple of bottles left. Basically, anything that they don't want to waste their time putting a couple of items out and use shelf space. It is essentially the same as the discount clothing outlets. Shelf space is expensive and they want to move it. The plus is that if it is what we want, we can save $$$. Sardines in jalapeño sauce, anyone?

12:28 p.m. on June 13, 2014 (EDT)
GaryPalmer
244 reviewer rep
5,434 forum posts

At Dollar Tree we have sardines,oatmeal,ramen 5/$1, CheezIt crackers $1 instead of $4.49 at Albertson's or even $3.39 at Kmart. We do not have any refrigerated stuff but Dollar Store's do as I used to shop at them in Kanab Utah near Zion NP. We also have many varieties of beans canned and dry, canned chili,soups,veggies all at $1 and the same brands as the regular grocery stores. A couple days ago I bought 12 ten ounce jars of Shurfine peanut butter for 12.72 including Jackson's .06 cents on the dollar taxes, at Albertson's it would have been over $36.

June 4, 2020
Quick Reply