The New MSR Windboiler

7:08 p.m. on December 12, 2014 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
426 forum posts

I haven't been around much lately due to work, but my company just got bought out, and I'm out of work with a bit of time on my hands until something comes along.

I've been reviewing The new MSR Windboiler.

DSC00012.JPG

I've got two videos posted that show wind testing. One video is of a Jetboil, and the other of the MSR Windboiler. The winds in the desert canyon were strong, and the results are quite dramatic.
DSC00295.JPG

Of course it's just nice to get out. There are still some really nice places even with the drought in California where I live.
DSC00152.JPG

Anyway, it's nicely done stove. I'm sure it won't be for everyone, but for those who want a nicely integrated system or astounding levels of windproofness, it'd be a great choice. Either way the review is worth reading. Of course. :)

HJ
Adventures in Stoving
Hikin Jim's Blog

11:29 p.m. on December 15, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
272 forum posts

HJ,

Are you allowed to do what you want with demo stoves you receive?  Guessing with your writing, stoves are sent to you.  Interested in selling this one? :)

Duane

1:51 a.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,028 forum posts

Duane,  the rule for Trailspace Gear Review Corps is generally that (1) you return it via Trailspace to the manufacturer if the manufacturer stipulates it must be returned or (2) if the manufacturer stipulates, you may keep the gear or donate it to charity (youth group or for clothing/sleeping bags/etc Goodwill, Salvation Army or similar). Selling test gear is forbidden by Trailspace rules. This has to do with the same set of rules about having no connections with the company or its competitors and other potential biases. Affiliations must be explicitly declared.

Hikin_Jim is not on the TSGRC. He has no statement of affiliations, but is not required to list any, though it is strongly encouraged.

12:44 p.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
426 forum posts

hikerduane said:

HJ,

Are you allowed to do what you want with demo stoves you receive?  Guessing with your writing, stoves are sent to you.  Interested in selling this one? :)

Duane

Hi, Duane,  (I assume this is the Duane I met at Henry Coe State Park, yes?)

The majority of stoves I review I buy with my own money, typically eBay.  

The next largest set of stoves are ones that people loan me for the purposes of a review.  A lot of people are very interested in having an impartial review of their stove and are curious as to what I will say about their stove.

The smallest set of stoves in terms of where they come from are ones sent to me by a manufacturer.  I typically don't send them back unless asked.  I like to keep them so that I can later compare them to other stoves or if people ask me a question, I like to be able to answer it.  

With regard to the Windboiler specifically, that one was sent to me by the manufacturer along with the hanging kit and coffee press.  I don't normally sell stoves sent to me by manufacturers for the reasons listed previously but also because it seems odd to sell things that were provided free of charge for a review.  After the passage of time, maybe I'll sell some, we'll see.  I mean I only have so much space in my place and I have hundreds of stoves.

The Windboiler is probably not a stove I will sell.  It's a "keeper," and that's coming from someone who doesn't typically use integrated canister stoves.   I typically use alcohol for solo trips and a remote canister stove for group or winter trips. The Windboiler is the nicest integrated canister stove that I've seen, and I think I will get some use out of it.  There's no stove I'd rather have if it were going to be windy (well, maybe it's cousin the Reactor, but that's the same family of stoves).

HJ
Adventures in Stoving
Hikin Jim's Blog

12:53 p.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
426 forum posts

Bill S said:

Duane,  the rule for Trailspace Gear Review Corps is generally that (1) you return it via Trailspace to the manufacturer if the manufacturer stipulates it must be returned or (2) if the manufacturer stipulates, you may keep the gear or donate it to charity (youth group or for clothing/sleeping bags/etc Goodwill, Salvation Army or similar). Selling test gear is forbidden by Trailspace rules. This has to do with the same set of rules about having no connections with the company or its competitors and other potential biases. Affiliations must be explicitly declared.

Hikin_Jim is not on the TSGRC. He has no statement of affiliations, but is not required to list any, though it is strongly encouraged.

Bill, 

Where would I make this statement of affiliations?  For the record, I have not affiliation with any stove manufacturer or retailer.  I've got no dog in that fight, so to speak.  Neither do I have a devotion to any particular class or type of stove.  I am a stove agnostic, agnostic in the sense that I think all stove types have their place and time.  I use wood, ESBIT, kerosene, alcohol, white gas, and canister gas as I see fit or the conditions demand.

I do make a small amount of money on the blog due to advertising, typically something like a $1.00 per day, but sometimes I receive more if I post more frequently.  Lately it's been maybe $1.50 per day.  That money goes toward paying my fuel and hosting costs.  After fuel and hosting costs are covered, there might be some money left over, but it's not much.  I pay for the food used in the tests usually out of my own pocket.  The blog just doesn't bring in very much.  

HJ
Adventures in Stoving
Hikin Jim's Blog

1:52 p.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
272 forum posts

Bill S,

HJ and I go back a ways to a certain extent.

HJ, I thought I would ask, since these are up for sale and I could get a nice discount if I chose to buy one.  I didn't know if there were any strings attached and I could not recall if you had to pay for all of your stoves.  Seems you've mentioned this before.  Bidding on a Campingo 1 at the moment.

Duane

1:53 p.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,028 forum posts

jim - two places to give affiliations -one is in the body of the review, near the top, the other in your profile. Generally, the disclaimer/affiliation is only needed when the review is of a product that is associated with the reviewer (works for the company, as a distributor, is a competitor, etc), or was provided directly by the company as a gift to get a review posted. In other words, if there is a potential conflict of interest. It is only required for TSGRC members, though it would be desirable for all reviewers and posters to reveal any potential conflicts of interest. Several of the magazines do not reveal such conflicts, including paid ads that keep the magazine in business.

I did not mean to imply that jim was breaking any rules. He does write great reviews. 

3:20 p.m. on December 16, 2014 (EST)
81 reviewer rep
426 forum posts

Bill,

Thank you for that.  I have updated my Affiliations statement.  And thank you for your remarks on my reviews.  I try hard, as time permits.  Right now I'm between jobs (my company got bought out), so I'm a little more flexible as to my time.

If you guys in the Review Corps ever have an interesting stove come your way, I'm usually interested in having a look. 

HJ
Adventures in Stoving
Hikin Jim's Blog

July 18, 2019
Quick Reply