FBC Cooks: Experience with newer version of Glad FBs?

11:41 a.m. on July 15, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,883 reviewer rep
1,416 forum posts

Not sure when they changed as I buy them a few hundred at a time in bulk, but on starting a new batch it seems they have. The newer bag is noticeably thinner and more flexible to the touch. I'm assuming product change as opposed to a bad batch because the size of the white stripe you can write on is a different size though I can not find changes to the printed boxes.

I've done some testing here at home and they don't seem as strong, but I'm curious if anyone uses these bags and has field experience with them. Leaving Friday for a week long loop and feeling a little nervous about dinner. 

11:55 a.m. on July 16, 2015 (EDT)
1,738 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Yeah man I hear you. I haven't had any experience with the newer bags, but thinner does not sound good!

Are you doing FB cooking...I guess?

Bags are certainly more convenient (for me) than vacuum sealing for short term food storage, and that's what I do mostly, but I trust the vacuum bags a lot more.

Thanks for the heads up LS!

4:03 p.m. on July 16, 2015 (EDT)
4,999 reviewer rep
577 forum posts

I use Ziplock myself, and noticed they recently added a tab to the top of the zipper for easier opening—slight improvement, but nothing earth-shattering. In fact, I was thinking of changing over to Glad, as lately the Ziplock ones don't seem to stay airtight, but I may rethink that if the Glad ones are thinner and weaker. 

4:12 p.m. on July 16, 2015 (EDT)
7,883 reviewer rep
1,416 forum posts

I scrounged up enough of the old ones to get me through this trip by moving some cold cereal I had packaged into new bags and using the old ones for dinners. When I have time I'll call them and ask whats up. Maybe they are making cheaper bags to sell in the multi packs sold at discount stores.

I was able to pour boiling water into the bag and rehydrate some old rice I had laying around.  The bag didn't lose its shape and the dry rice didn't poke through when I squeezed the water around. They may be ok for cooking. I'm more concerned with how they will travel with macaroni in them.

9:33 a.m. on July 18, 2015 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,336 forum posts

"KiwiKlimber said I use Ziploc myself".

I am a Ziploc guy too, and I always double bagged things like macaroni just to be safe in case they did poke holes in the bags. 

Do you know you can save money by buying your Glad bags at Dollar Tree? Available in all the normal sizes for just $1.00. I work at Dollar Tree, but no discount being everything is just $1.00, but I shop there for 90% of my food and other things. 

So you could/can pour boiling water in the older thicker bags? That's amazing, never would have thought that would be possible. Must have to wear gloves to "squeeze the water around"? 

Are you talking about instant rice you are rehydrating? I make mine at home by cooking wild rice, the drying it and then adding to soups and other dishes in the field. Much cheaper than store bought brands, which most are just the white inner part of the rice anyway.

I have used Ziploc's since the late 1970's, rebagging everything from food to small items in my office stuff, using large bags for keeping clothing in and toilet paper and lighters dry, even use them for keeping my smelly dirty clothing in.

I reuse mine over and over again as many times as I can. I learned to wash them out as needed from my mother and then turn them inside out to dry. I rarely write on them as I may be using the same bag for something else later. But a strip pf duct (Duck) tape is as easily used for labeling and peels off the bags easier than off most things.

10:12 a.m. on July 18, 2015 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

So you could/can pour boiling water in the older thicker bags? That's amazing, never would have thought that would be possible. Must have to wear gloves to "squeeze the water around"? 

Absolutely. That's why it's called "freezer bag cooking" (FBC). Helps to have a cozy for rehydrating, keeps the food hot and protects you from burns, a simple one made from reflectix/windshield reflector works well, cheap and easy to DIY and very lightweight.

7:35 p.m. on July 18, 2015 (EDT)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,335 forum posts

I am not an FB cook, but use ziploc type bags for storage purposes on trips. If the manufacturing is changing and regularly available bags are getting too weak for FB cooking, you may want to consider some alternative sources. They won't be as cheap, but you can get some really strong bags from specialty places like ones we use to store soil and other samples in the field. I have a box of about 500 liter sized bags that I have been gradually using since the early 90s. I still have most of them because of their durability...just keep reusing the same ones. I can't recall the source but you could try Forestry Suppliers or possibly someone like US Plastics. If that is of interest and not found I can check around for other sources at work.

February 23, 2019
Quick Reply