Storing fresh potatoes in the back country

9:53 a.m. on July 12, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hello-

I am looking for advice from anyone who has taken fresh, whole potatoes into the back country. I will be going for only two days in a warm in the day, cool at night environment with bears, raccoons and with my luck, Sasquatch around. So all food will be hoisted up a tree most of the time, say and night, hot and cool. When I go by myself I have everything dehydrated and don't mind less than perfect results. My companion this trip is just edging into back country camping and I would prefer to use whole potatoes rather than flakes.

I am concerned that double or triple bagging as I do, will trap moisture from the potatoes in the Zip-loc style bags and make the potatoes either mouldy and/or inedible.

Does anyone have experience with this?

10:14 a.m. on July 12, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,709 reviewer rep
1,577 forum posts

Never carry potatoes but I do bring fruit, especially apples, quite often. I don't pack them with the rest of my food except at night. During the day I let them ride in an open topped produce bag inside my pack so moisture isn't sealed in but they are still wrapped up. I'd guess similar would work for potatoes.

You planning on roasting them in a fire? Oh, and welcome to TS!

12:44 p.m. on July 12, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks, Stranger! That makes perfect sense. I am sure that would be fine for the short period we will be out there.

1:30 p.m. on July 18, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,173 reviewer rep
1,701 forum posts

Wrap them in foil, poked and spiced so you can toss them right in the fire to bake.  Potatoes keep really well, you'll have no issues with them going bad as long as you aren't gone over a week

12:47 a.m. on July 19, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,757 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

An excellent substitute for flakes is the dried hash-browns...usually next to the flakes. I have fried...roasted...and stewed them with great results. If you are not cooking them with fresh food items you may need to reconstitute them first...but generally I wrap them up...or put them in a closed pot with other foods and they come back on their own by the time the other foods have cooked through/become tender.

1:47 p.m. on July 21, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,074 forum posts

Spuds will be fine for longer than you want to be out there. I went on a pack trip once and we had an extra horse so we packed a whole bag of potatoes and corn on the cob for a week with no problems.

11:21 a.m. on July 26, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Thanks, everyone. We just returned from what turned out to be far too easy (in that it was only a 15 minute paddle from "civilized" campsites ) back country camping and, as shameful as it is, I ran out of time for planning....  and turned over all meal planning to my girlfriend. It turned out to be pasta, not potatoes.

April 7, 2020
Quick Reply