Save fuel and cooking method I have used 40 years.

1:42 p.m. on June 22, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,338 forum posts

You can save weight and dehydrate your own foods at home, even without a commercial food dryer.
I sometimes carry beans and rice that I have dehydrated at home by cooking it first (both the rice or beans separately), then drying it in a standard oven by barely turning on the oven, place the cooked beans or rice on either sheet pans or even wax paper on the racks in the oven and leave the oven door open slightly to let the moisture out, check periodically and when completely dry place in Ziploc bags. 
When ready to make a meal, simply put the rice or beans into boiling water and its instant recooked. 
Easy to make whole grain wild instant rice at home. And all types of beans can be cooked and dehydrated this way.
If you want to dehydrate veggie, you can do it the same way as the beans and rice by chopping first the veggies into 1 inch squares (dehydration will reduce them by half) then simmering the veggies till almost cooked, don't over soften them or they will be mushy when rehydrated. The dry as the method for the beans/rice and place in Ziploc bags. When re-cooking/hydrating add to boiling water.
Be sure not to have the water boiling or simmering when you add any of the above veggies, just add them to water that is heated but just in the pot, so not to over cook them the second time.

April 21, 2019
Quick Reply