Breakfast without cookware

8:49 p.m. on June 26, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

If one is using a campfire you can also use natural materials to cook on. Take a flat rock (not from a stream bed, could explode) put in fire pit, when hot, lay two or more slices of bacon in a cross on the rock, take a slice of bread and take part of the middle of the slice out, making a hole in the middle, lay this so the center of the X of bacon is in the middle, break 1-2 eggs in the hole. The bacon keeps it all from sticking to the rock. Bacon ,egg and toast! Add a slice of cheese just before you remove it, fold the bread over the meat and egg and cheese, instant egg, bacon ,cheese sandwich!

9:02 a.m. on June 28, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
706 forum posts

The clean the rock carefully to LNT,...and in bear country, remove the tock to avoid attracting bears to the campsite....grin

2:28 p.m. on June 28, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I once found a hunting camp in early springtime that was used the winter before. The hunters must have cooked on the fire a lot, cause when I saw their campfire area, a bear had completely dug it out getting at all the grease and other smells. It was a crater 3 feet deep, with definite claw marks where the bear had gouged it out.

1:28 p.m. on June 29, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
242 forum posts

So, you have bacon, eggs, bread and cheese but not a simple pot to cook and keep it free of dirt, grit and ashes? Someone did not think this through lol. 

The Anasazi had a huge problem with grit, wore their teeth down and when that happened at 25 to 30 years old they were dead. 

5:46 p.m. on June 29, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I don't believe it was the worn down teeth that killed, then it was just the mortality rate in those days. I have few teeth in my mouth because I have been a sugar addict for 55 years and have lost 75% of them. But I have made it to 62 and still able to eat. I don't have any false teeth.

Never practiced camp cooking without cooking vessels?

A little dirt,grit and wood ash won't hurt you. Actually wood ash is good if you have a upset stomach, and for filtering water.

9:13 a.m. on June 30, 2018 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

As an archaeologist for more than 60 years, I have excavated more than a few prehistoric burials.  Typically they do show tooth wear,  but that is not usually the reason for their demise.  The population life expectancy was low because of very high infant mortality.  Many lived to a decent old age, even by our standards.

My choice for a breakfast without cooking vessels is a choice between Clif, lara, and Tanka bars, perhaps a few others.

FWIW, mammoths did wear down their six sets of molars during their lifetime.  When the last is worn down, they are chomping on bare bone, and death is not far away - usually around age 60 or so..

12:37 p.m. on June 30, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
242 forum posts

Like they say, put three archaeologists in a room and you get five opinions ;)

1:09 p.m. on June 30, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,734 reviewer rep
1,140 forum posts

Yeah but how do you make a cup of coffee?

2:44 p.m. on June 30, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I have never made coffee outdoors or in town. Not a coffee drinker, so unsure a primitive method. 

9:18 a.m. on July 1, 2018 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
487 forum posts

Realistically, for coffee, you need a metal cup in which to brew that essential fluid (which I am consuming as I type this).  Most of mine fit around the bottom on my water container and are always at hand.

Ghostdog - I am pretty sure if you ask any three intelligent, inquiring people ( and not all archaeologists fit that bill - I can think of a few exceptions) you will get at least five opinions.  Then you begin the job of testing and evaluating.  That generally is how intelligent, carbon based life forms work.

8:07 p.m. on July 1, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
706 forum posts

Hikemor--thanks for your input on the teeth question.  One of the reasons I love this board is that highly educated and knowledgeable experts share their thoughts and expertise with those of us who have only a smattering of background on the topic. 

Thank you again.  I'd love to hear more about your work...

And the version of that joke that my dad always told (he taught economics) was that if you got all the economists in the world together and laid them end to end, you still couldn't reach a conclusion...

2:43 a.m. on July 2, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,491 forum posts

Early man died young, not from tooth wear, but from nagging spouses, hounding them to death to get on that project they promised, regarding inventing dish wares and utensils.  This cause of death still plagues the species.

Ed

11:54 a.m. on July 2, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
242 forum posts

balzaccom said:

And the version of that joke that my dad always told (he taught economics) was that if you got all the economists in the world together and laid them end to end, you still couldn't reach a conclusion...

A favorite quote the economist, John Maynard Keynes...

“Long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead.”

6:46 p.m. on July 2, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,491 forum posts

From home economics to macro economics, all within a dozen posts.  Yet we still have hunger and poverty as I post.

Ed

6:19 p.m. on August 30, 2018 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

Why would you go into the backcountry without cookware? Even if it's just a cheap steel pot or large mug, there are many ways to cook nutritious and delicious food out back of beyond.

February 18, 2020
Quick Reply