Camp Dessert Ideas

8:14 p.m. on July 10, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
443 forum posts

I have been asked to take some teenage girls on an overnight backpacking trip.  For some of them it will be their first experience with backpacking.  The total group, including the girls and some other adults, will be 15 people.  I have the dinner worked out, but I want to have a good dessert, too, so that the girls will have fond memories.  The freeze-dried desserts are a bit expensive for a group of this size.  Can anyone suggest some really good dessert ideas that don't involve carrying a lot of weight up the trail?

12:12 a.m. on July 11, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,124 forum posts

Popcorn.  A little oil and seeds yield a huge volume.  Add some sugar to get kettle corn; or butter and herbs to get savory popcorn.

For the kids: if you have a camp fire, there is the classic smores.  

For the adults: I found the combo of a high quality whiskey paired with high quality milk chocolates is almost narcotic!  This is a tasting experience, not an excuse for getting buzzed.

Ed

3:36 p.m. on July 11, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,314 forum posts

I second the S'mores idea for the girls, a classic camp treat, fun to make and well to eat!

4:23 p.m. on July 11, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
443 forum posts

I would love to do S'mores, but campfires are prohibited where we are going so we need to do something that does not require a campfire.

4:33 p.m. on July 11, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,314 reviewer rep
1,641 forum posts

Jiffypop! 

It works on a stove 

4:52 p.m. on July 11, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,304 reviewer rep
1,284 forum posts

Just stay away from Smoreos...a good name but bad food created out of necessity one night.

9:40 p.m. on July 11, 2018 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
3,507 forum posts

Chocolate and whiskey are hard to beat. 

Home baked cookies or banana bread are really appreciated up in the mountains away from home.  Carrot cake is good. 

10:21 a.m. on July 13, 2018 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
3,507 forum posts

I like to bring an aluminum Dutch Oven for river and pack trips or car camping.  People really enjoy dessert after a while in the outdoors.  Baking a cake or fruit cobbler is always a hit.  For my 65th birthday on a famous river in Oregon I made a pineapple right side up cake with pineapple and marachino cherries.  

6:34 p.m. on July 16, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
134 forum posts

Cake is a great idea. I have a friend that loves to use his aluminum Dutch oven, mostly on canoe trips but he did hump an MSR skillet over the entire JMT for trout.

We use two nesting titanium pans to make cake double boiler method on a canister stove turned as low as it can go with our own cake mix but store bought works fine. It takes about 35 minutes and once girlfriend tried it she never wanted dry baked again, though a good Dutch over does a fairly moist cake too, just weighs a ton. We even make a rich frosting for the cake in the double boiler setup. That cake is sublime.

6:44 p.m. on July 16, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,304 reviewer rep
1,284 forum posts

Good old chocolate pudding mix with dehydrated milk is always a good simple idea. Not much weight for a group.

3:43 a.m. on July 19, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Take some chocolates and sweets.

November 20, 2018
Quick Reply