Ozark Trail 10 piece cook kit modified for hiking.

10:31 a.m. on August 13, 2018 (EDT)
MEDIA
87 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Good morning,

There are a lot of videos on youtube and various forums that state this cook kit is too much for hiking, I, however, have modified it and made it work for hiking. This is my go to for any 3-5 day hike. It doesn't weigh too much to carry but it is also efficient. Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/1yCdBavYsHE

10:39 a.m. on August 13, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,752 reviewer rep
1,479 forum posts

Skipped around the video due to it being so long...looks like a GSI kit right down to the color of the cup/bowl combo and the pot handle. Have you done the research to compare the weight to a similar GSI model? I'm curious if they come in at similar numbers on the scale so if you haven't done it already I'll have to :)

8:05 p.m. on August 13, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,423 forum posts

Don't need a stuff sack for the kit, or pouches for the spoon and burner.  I'd leave two of the bowls and bowl lid back home.  Also I prefer drinking from a cup, but that's just me. Taken individually these items may not weigh much, but I be they are close to 1/2 pound as a group. 

As for justifying the sack as a water carrying device:  It is too small.  One issues with human impact in the BC are the trails pounded into the terrain from camp to lake or stream side, caused by repeat trips back and forth to fetch water.  I carry one of those 2-3 gallon collapsible jugs to haul water, hauling enough water in one trip for a day or more for two people. Yea, it adds 5oz weight to my kit, but my intentions and convenience of having a bulk water supply handy justify the burden, IMO.

Ed

10:42 p.m. on August 13, 2018 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,948 forum posts

That's the weight on this 2 pounds? that's kinda high to have for a cook kit wouldn't think?

5:51 a.m. on August 14, 2018 (EDT)
8,752 reviewer rep
1,479 forum posts

The GSI kit (GSI Outdoors Halulite Microdualist Complete) comes with a windscreen and heat shield but still weighs less than 23oz. I'm all in favor of saving money, but cheap knock offs are cheap for a reason.

9:22 a.m. on August 14, 2018 (EDT)
MEDIA
87 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

I am not saying that I would carry this for a thru hike of the AT, I'm saying that for the money, the space, and the function, I can justify the weight for a 3-5 day section hike. 

My last section hike was 4 days in late March/early April in north GA, so it was still cold. I carried this cook set up. With all my food, starting with 2 liters of water, and enough clothes to stay warm, my pack was at 21 lbs and a few ozs. 

9:56 a.m. on August 14, 2018 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

A perfectly appropriate kit can easily be significantly lighter.

12:13 p.m. on August 14, 2018 (EDT)
8,752 reviewer rep
1,479 forum posts

You are the one carrying it Doug, so you get to decide what goes in your pack :)

I was just curious what the cost of saving the money by buying the knockoff was. Looks like the price is more than a few ounces which is a lot to some and not much to others. We use the GSI kit this is copying for family trips with three of us and I will carry the pot in Winter when I need to melt snow for water on solo trips. It is overkill for one person, but if it makes you happy that is all that counts.

2:43 p.m. on August 14, 2018 (EDT)
MEDIA
87 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Yeah, I know there are plenty of options that are lighter weight. As far as weight goes, I have learned ALOT over the years. My first trip on a section hike, my pack was well over 45 lbs. Now, I am pretty embarrassed to say that, but I say it because I have literally learned on each and every trip I have taken. On the way home from every section hike, I go through and decide what can be cut out or weight reduced. I very much hike on a budget and this def supersedes my previous set up in function(not weight). My last kit was an esbit stove, which was super light weight but not as dependable or efficient. 

LoneStanger, I honestly do appreciate your last comment, "You are the one carrying it..." because most people on forums just want to tell people that they are doing it wrong and why they should conform. I posted my review/modification here and to YouTube just to show people that may just be starting out, it is possible. Every review of this cook kit on YouTube that I found prior to mine, basically said this kit is only good for car camping or if the power goes out at your house. 

6:44 p.m. on August 14, 2018 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,948 forum posts

MrGriff I am not knocking it please don't take it that way.I was just bringing up the conversation there maybe lighter options..But your right this works for you may work for someone else and yes this is a great starter kit if your on a budget..I understand why LS knows about this kit...

7:23 p.m. on August 14, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

most people on forums just want to tell people that they are doing it wrong and why they should conform.

Doug

One reason I hang out on this forum is you don't get too much of that...sometimes a poorly chosen but well intended word choice but mostly folks on TS take in your information and respond respectfully with their own opinion.

I have none on this subject not due to lack of interest and no offense to your video. I'm just not much of a YouTube guy... you should post a gear review for us old schoolers who prefer to read than watch videos! :)

6:27 a.m. on August 15, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,423 forum posts

Doug Griffin said:

LoneStanger, I honestly do appreciate your last comment, "You are the one carrying it..." because most people on forums just want to tell people that they are doing it wrong and why they should conform. I posted my review/modification here and to YouTube just to show people that may just be starting out, it is possible. Every review of this cook kit on YouTube that I found prior to mine, basically said this kit is only good for car camping or if the power goes out at your house. 

Actually Doug, the last sentence in your initial post asked us to state what we think.  So if you feel like any of us here were blowing back too hard, well you did solicit our opinions.  But all I see on this thread is candid comments, no flaming.  Sorry if I came off like a UL snob (I'm not my pack is a beast!)  but having been a backpack mule for over 50 years, I try to make sure every ounce I carry nowadays serves a purpose.

Ed

12:54 a.m. on August 18, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,384 forum posts

I have carried a 1 quart MSR cookpot for about 15 years. I rarely cook or eat out of more than that every meal whether I am cooking food,eating my bowl of cereal from it or using it as a cup to drink hot cocoa from it.. It weighs almost nothing and my stove,lighter,spork and scrubby all fit inside.

Never understood the need for multi pot cook sets. If I need a frying pan, I usually use a flat rock, I can bake in the coals of a campfire and bake bread on a stick.

November 20, 2019
Quick Reply