RAMEN warning

5:59 p.m. on September 1, 2018 (EDT)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

Perhaps most of your already know this but I only recently learned that Ramen has a wax-like coating. 

My wife brings our Ramen to a boil and drains it then rinses it in hot water, getting rid of most of the wax, before she boils it to "al dente" softness.

So one of backpackers' (& college students') favorite meals now has an extra step.

I'd recommend boiling/draining/rinsing Ramen at home and dehydrating it then re-packaging it to save time and fuel.

I dunno if I even want to go through all that so I may just substitute other noodles.

Eric B. 

4:52 a.m. on September 2, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,505 reviewer rep
1,042 forum posts

https://www.hoax-slayer.net/instant-noodles-do-not-contain-a-wax-coating-that-causes-cancer/

Google "ramen wax coating" and you'll find a lot more reassuring debunkery.

I think an awful lot of through hikers have somehow survived months of ramen more or less every night without changing the water. Ditto a lot of college students.

11:19 a.m. on September 2, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,336 forum posts

I have been eating Ramen for 40+ years, never double cooked it. I break  up the individual packages into large ziploc bags, and put the flavor mix packages into another one. 

I mix a can of soup, stew or chili into my pot of ramen. I also often eat the Ramen dry right out of the bag.

3:44 p.m. on September 2, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,454 reviewer rep
1,334 forum posts

No wax coating but for those who don't like preservatives like TBHQ there are healthier options out there that tend to take more cooking. I can't eat the regular cheap ones (unfortunately) due to something in them giving me heartburn. Could be the preservatives. Don't believe everything you read about TBHQ either though...some rumors say it's made from butane but it actually has butyl in the name not butane. Jury is out on its health effects but as stated above a lot of people eat them for thru hikes and college.

11:06 a.m. on September 3, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,636 forum posts

I have only one warning about Ramen.  It is crummy, don't eat it.  An amazing number of people seem to live on noodles and granola bars, but what is the point?  If you are exercising hard you need some real food. 

2:55 p.m. on September 4, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,389 forum posts

LOL.

If you like and want to eat Ramen's then by all means do so. Though they do not contain hardly any nutrition they are a super quick meal when on the run as well as adding flavor and texture to what can be an otherwise super dull meal. And, they are just flat out a great filler when on the run and you don't have time to construct a real meal.

I use them when camping/on the road/hiking by chopping up as many veggies as possible into little pieces. I then pan fry all veggies and start the Ramen cooking, after I've crushed it in its package, in a separate pot in water and it's seasoning pack. When the veggies are done I put in the proper amount of eggs, usually 6, and scramble. When the eggs are just about cooked I then pour the water out of the Ramen and then stir in the remaining Ramen noodles into the egg and veggi mixture and cook till the eggs are completely cooked. I then have enough food to pig out on for at least two meals.

Ramen's are great if you like them and you are not so very poor that you have to live on them day in and day out to stay alive as I did for a number of years during and after my short stint in collage.

4:41 p.m. on September 4, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,389 forum posts

Now, after having said that ^,

"Friends do not let friends eat Tofu." ;)>

6:58 p.m. on September 4, 2018 (EDT)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

The "flavor packets" in Ramen are WAAAAY too salty. Why does processes food have so much sodium?

Actually I haven't taken Ramen backpacking in years. Too many really good meals out there to lower myself to Ramen.

My wife only uses it with fresh cooked veggies and meats without the "flavor packet".

Eric B.

8:17 p.m. on September 4, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,389 forum posts

300winmag said:

The "flavor packets" in Ramen are WAAAAY too salty. Why does processes food have so much sodium?

Actually I haven't taken Ramen backpacking in years. Too many really good meals out there to lower myself to Ramen.

My wife only uses it with fresh cooked veggies and meats without the "flavor packet".

Eric B.

Yep,

So all of the old schooler's that I know that use Ramen's, that think there too salty.............well, they only use half the flavor packet and save the other half for some rice dish or something else. 

As far as there being "Too many really good meals out there to lower myself to Ramen."  I'm glad that you don't have to "lower" yourself to eat the food that the some of the rest of us have to "lower" ourselves to eat when we venture out into the wilderness.  I know that I can't afford to buy and eat the $5.00-$9.00 meals that some people are able to afford per meal.  Some time's, I can only afford $5.00 per a day to eat when I go out on the road or camping/hiking/riding, I know......right.  That necessitates being cheap and frugal, unlike some of the my more well off friends who can not "lower" themselves to the horrors of actually eating a Ramen.

9:14 p.m. on September 4, 2018 (EDT)
1,967 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

Ramen can be good -- Tsuta is a ramen restaurant in Tokyo that has earned a Michelin star. 

6:11 a.m. on September 5, 2018 (EDT)
3,454 reviewer rep
1,334 forum posts

When I ate them I left the flavor bomb behind and added them to soup mixed or other meals. Now I use rice noodles or something else.

8:13 a.m. on September 5, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,212 forum posts

apeman said:

"..I know that I can't afford to buy and eat the $5.00-$9.00 meals that some people are able to afford per meal.  Some time's, I can only afford $5.00 per a day to eat when I go out on the road or camping/hiking/riding, I know......right.  That necessitates being cheap and frugal, unlike some of the my more well off friends who can not "lower" themselves to the horrors of actually eating a Ramen..."

Hmm, I thought Eric's comments had to do with the palatability of of those ramen snacks.  In any case we all have prioritizes, some spend on gnarly monster trucks, some on bourgey cuisine, others on tent and vintage gear collections.  It's all good, no need to get personal.  Personally I find the most expensive part of camping is the value of time off and transportation costs.

Ed

3:48 p.m. on September 6, 2018 (EDT)
6,525 reviewer rep
2,150 forum posts

i generally prefer something a little more interesting than ramen, but there is nothing inherently wrong or bad about it for me - just very salty.  NOLS Cookery has some interesting recipes that include grains other than noodles, adds some variety and gets you thinking about planning meals.  

if you like asian flavoring but shy away from ramen, there are great instant miso soup packets. add some dried mushrooms, seaweed, and udon noodles, and it's really good. if you prefer or want to try pre-packaged, mountain house has a lot of noodle-based options. i find them a little fatty and salty, but they're easy and taste pretty good. except for the now-retired turkey tetrazzini, known as 'tet offensive' by some. filling but bleh.  

11:42 p.m. on September 6, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,212 forum posts

leadbelly2550 said:

".. there are great instant miso soup packets. add some dried mushrooms, seaweed, and udon noodles, and it's really good..."

+1. 

I was amazed when I tried a packaged miso soup from the grocer.  It had the basics and was excellent.  We added dried sea weed, enough to give you something to chew on, and it was satisfying on a level similar to pizza & beer at the end of an extended trip.  

Ed

1:15 p.m. on September 7, 2018 (EDT)
6,589 reviewer rep
1,642 forum posts

Similar to pizza and beer?  Wow!

1:15 p.m. on September 7, 2018 (EDT)
6,589 reviewer rep
1,642 forum posts

1:16 p.m. on September 7, 2018 (EDT)
6,589 reviewer rep
1,642 forum posts

4:29 p.m. on September 7, 2018 (EDT)
6,525 reviewer rep
2,150 forum posts

whomeworry said:

leadbelly2550 said:

".. there are great instant miso soup packets. add some dried mushrooms, seaweed, and udon noodles, and it's really good..."

+1. 

I was amazed when I tried a packaged miso soup from the grocer.  It had the basics and was excellent.  We added dried sea weed, enough to give you something to chew on, and it was satisfying on a level similar to pizza & beer at the end of an extended trip.  

Ed

one of my favorite post-trip places is Elvio's Pizzeria in North Conway, NH. 

6:49 p.m. on September 10, 2018 (EDT)
34 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

Wax coating? LOL! No, instant ramen doesn't have a wax coating. You are aware, I hope, that instant ramen noodles are fried before packaging?

If you find instant ramen too salty, I suggest you stay far away from teh premium brands that I eat, which cost as much as about $2-3 a packet. The premium imported brands can contain over 3000 mg of sodium. Most of the cheap ones rarely top 1200-1300 mg.

11:05 p.m. on September 11, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,389 forum posts

Yep, they are deep fried noodles with overly salty little flavoring packages.  I have a friend that believes that the noodles are made from,  or with, the insulation that is used in between the floors of high-rise buildings in big cities.  Nothing I can say or do can convince her otherwise.  Really, you can't make this stuff up.

9:37 p.m. on September 16, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Instead of using the flavor packet, I put low sodium boullion and some oil on my noodles.

February 19, 2019
Quick Reply