Do you like coffee on the trail?

8:50 a.m. on July 18, 2019 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

Boy have i found the perfect thing last night!

I'm a bit of a coffee snob so i typically grind all my beans at home and then take my JetBoil stove and the JetBoil french press kit for on the trail. Anyways, anyone that's used this setup knows its a bit of a mess to clean up on the trail, especially if water is scarce. So last night while at WalMart stocking up on Ramen and Instant potatoes for this weekends trip, i cruised through the coffee aisle to see what was out there for GOOD coffee but in the tea bag type setup.

That's when i came across these guys: https://reborncoffee.com/
They were $1ea and that store only had the single origin guataemala flavor. I just tried one this morning and it's fricken awesome and the most genius thing i've used in a long time. Plus, it's 100% recyclable!! I'm now on the hunt to find more flavors, hopefully local and for the same $1 price as Reborn charges around $2ea on their website.

Let me know if anyone else has used these and if you love them as much i do!

9:22 a.m. on July 18, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

Glad you like the new coffee Willie.  You are a coffee snob but live on Ramen noodles and instant potatoes?  That makes no sense to me. 

9:28 a.m. on July 18, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

That looks interesting...hope the price stays there for me to try...I am back to Via for 50c per coffee at the most so that discount price would double my coffee budget that I already think is extravagant (yeah I'm cheap).  I like coffee but not enough to carry the grinder.  I have tried the reusable drip coffee thing but it cools down too much while filtering through for me especially in winter.

10:58 a.m. on July 18, 2019 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

PPINE...Yeah, i lead a complicated life!

Much more economical to splurge on coffee than it is spending a few bucks on ramens and instant potatoes compared to splurging on something like mountain house meal.

While i love the Reborn stuff i found last night, i also ordered an identical product made by Kuju that's sold on Amazon.  Ordered some of that to try as well.

I also found a place to order the filter portion only, and then you can use your own coffee.  Might try that as well.

12:31 p.m. on July 18, 2019 (EDT)
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

I assume you have tried the re-usable GSI Drip Filter?  I have one and used it a bit but as mentioned above found it took too long to filter and cooled down my coffee before it got to the insulated mug in cold weather.  Otherwise worked pretty well.

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/gsi-outdoors/ultralight-java-drip/

12:57 p.m. on July 18, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,824 reviewer rep
1,490 forum posts

FlipNC said:

I assume you have tried the re-usable GSI Drip Filter?  I have one and used it a bit but as mentioned above found it took too long to filter and cooled down my coffee before it got to the insulated mug in cold weather.  Otherwise worked pretty well.

A pour over basket like that is great for camping, but I'm back to using instant when covering distance. The weight difference is big and compounded by carrying out the wet grounds. Been rocking the Mount Hagen single serve sticks much of the time and find it works well enough. Price isn't too bad when you buy carefully in bulk online.

That GSI pour over got put to use last week when we awoke to a 5am power outage though! Big advantage of being prepared to live in the woods is being able to have coffee and meals without power :)

12:58 p.m. on July 18, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
217 forum posts

we have used Finum Brewing Baskets for years, super light, store in the cup and makes a coffee like French press coffee where the grounds are suspended in the water for the length of the brew. 

But it we are on an organic tea kick now with loose leaf tea in a stainless tea ball. 

1:46 p.m. on July 18, 2019 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

FlipNC said:

Haven't seen or used it.  Seems like it would be the same hassle for cleaning.  The disposable ones i found i can drop into a zip lock when i'm done and pack it out. Bam...done!

1:48 p.m. on July 18, 2019 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

FlipNC said:

A pour over basket like that is great for camping, but I'm back to using instant when covering distance. The weight difference is big and compounded by carrying out the wet grounds. Been rocking the Mount Hagen single serve sticks much of the time and find it works well enough. Price isn't too bad when you buy carefully in bulk online.

That GSI pour over got put to use last week when we awoke to a 5am power outage though! Big advantage of being prepared to live in the woods is being able to have coffee and meals without power :)

Why not dump the wet grounds (not the filter part) out in the woods?

1:58 p.m. on July 18, 2019 (EDT)
8,824 reviewer rep
1,490 forum posts

https://www.lnt.org

That is also why I appreciate the vertical tear opening on the Mount Hagen sticks. Most coffee sticks tear horizontally leaving a tiny bit of wrapper that folks tend to lose track of. The vertical tear lets you get a big opening without separating the package into two pieces.

8:14 a.m. on July 19, 2019 (EDT)
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Those Via nubs are annoying but I just slip it into the main sleeve once it's open and the coffee is in my mug. I would love a good alternative and have looked at Mount Hagan, but got scared by several comments and description of it being light or weaker in flavor. My one criteria is strong for coffee...LS what do you think of it compared to something like Via? A couple of other instant coffees I have tried have cost double the price as I was using two packs per mug. 

8:29 a.m. on July 19, 2019 (EDT)
8,824 reviewer rep
1,490 forum posts

I have always used two sticks, no matter the brand or flavor. I want one strong cup while breaking camp. Previously I've used two different brands at a time. Blending seemed to take the edge off their bad points. The MH I double up and while not great, it gets the job done. We're not talking a cup of joy here. Just industrial caffeine infusion.

For good coffee I will carry small, 10g bags of stuff I ground at home and do the pour over thing. I can get two or three pours out of that which is nice when camping and I have the time. Some joy in those cups heh. Just not worth the weight for distance hiking though.

9:47 a.m. on July 19, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

Keep an eye out for roasted beans with a chocolate coating to carry during the day.  We used them for long days in the field.  I wish a I could chew coca leaves like in S America. 

9:58 a.m. on July 19, 2019 (EDT)
8,824 reviewer rep
1,490 forum posts

Target carries a fabulous concoction under their store brand that we call Chocolate Explosion. Choco covered almonds, praline almonds, choco coffee beans, choco chips, hazlenuts and mocha flavored pecans. Lots of fat and carbs to give the caffeine something to burn.

I carry a bag as emergency fuel, but it makes a great stoveless breakfast, usually on the last day when I want to get moving fast. We're headed up to climb the Greatest Mountain next week and have prepared two doses laces with granola for summit day breakfast so we can be off at first light.

11:11 a.m. on July 19, 2019 (EDT)
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

I wonder if this is the 100th coffee thread on Trailspace yet?  We seem to have a conversation at least once a year about it - shows how important it is to us addicts...

11:23 a.m. on July 19, 2019 (EDT)
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

By the way, the LNT approach is a reason I went away from drip coffee, besides the cooling down as well.  I often camp in pristine areas well off trail where I want to leave as little footprint as I can.  Pack it in - Pack it out.  Wet coffee grounds are not something I prefer to carry.

5:19 p.m. on July 19, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,438 forum posts

LoneStranger said:

"..We're headed up to climb the Greatest Mountain next week..."

Greatest Mountain - is that its name, or a informal reference to a favorite, in which case what mountain is it?

Ed

5:27 p.m. on July 19, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

There is only one "Great One"  

Denali, Alaska.

6:40 p.m. on July 19, 2019 (EDT)
8,824 reviewer rep
1,490 forum posts

From the googles:

Named Katahdin by the Penobscot Native Americans, which means "The Greatest Mountain", it is located within Northeast Piscataquis, Piscataquis County, and is the centerpiece of Baxter State Park.

You'll have to take it up with the Penobscot if you want to argue, but remember Pamola is on their side

3:48 a.m. on July 20, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,438 forum posts

Gotta respect someone who knows the lore of his mountains.

Mount-Katahdin.jpg

Above: Mount Katahdin as as viewed from Twin Pines Camp.
Below: Ppine's Great One, an aerial view of Denali (Athabaskan for high or tall).

Denali.jpg

As for "Great Ones", using Ppine's coinage, I have heard K2, known locally as Chhogori (Balti for big mountain), gets the nod for that accolade, with its symmetry and savagery. 

K-2.jpgAbove:  K2 on a good day, as viewed from Baltoro Glacier.

My "Great One" is in Peru, named Nevado Verónica (Snowy Veronica).  The Quechua know it as Willka Wiqi (holy tear), located along the railway leading to Machu Pichu, between Olantaytambo and Agua Caliente, .  

Nevado-Veronica03.jpg
Above: The majestic symmetry of Nevado Verónica just beckons to be climbed, here as seen from a hill above the ruins of Muray.
Below: Nevado Verónica as viewed from the jungle side, along the Urubamba River.  The photo doesn't convey how close you are to this very tall mountain.  You must crane you neck around 45⁰ to obtain this view.  VERY STEEP!

Nevado-Veronica02.jpg
You may catch a glimpse of Nevado Verónica between breaks in the clouds and jungle canopy while on the train to Machu Pichu.  It will be the first snowed capped mountain you pass on the right side of the train.  We climbed it from the jungle side, starting from a village whistle stop the trains make.  Most high altitude mountain climbs are toughest near the top.  But since few people bother climbing Nevado Verónica from the jungle side, the real battle for us was getting above the jungle flora.  Should anyone consider this adventure, I highly recommend doing it from the other side, where you won't have to deal with a thick jungle; and can hire locals to teamster your gear half way up the mountain.  Live and learn... 

Ed

7:19 p.m. on July 23, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

Good work Ed. 

9:32 a.m. on July 24, 2019 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,949 forum posts

Yes I do enjoy cups of coffee and hot tea along the trial...But I had to look back at what BIg REd said about Mount Hagen organics he found on amazon that was instant he said it was as good ad Via...I need to order some and try it...

December 7, 2019
Quick Reply