WTB: Piece of leather

10:55 a.m. on April 19, 2017 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,351 forum posts

I want to buy some leather, like elk and deer. I want raw leather softened, not stiff planks. Plan to get back into leather working. In 1990 I made a whole outfit of a mountain man, Me! I used elk,deer,buffalo,bear,fox,weasel and moose hides and spent 45 hours hand stitching it together into a fox hat,a deer hide shirt,elk pants, deer and moose leggings, moose gaiters, elk and deer moccasins, Moose hide stiffened and made onto huge mittens. And I had a bear and buffalo cape. Whole things weighed 1/4 my body weight. I walked around Jackson that summer of 90, the 150th anniversary of the last Mountain Rendezvous.

So anyway anyone know where I can find leather of many animals?

download.jpg
In a couple years I am looking at retirement, well I have been semi-retired since 1982. And I want to spend it more outdoors, then IN. 

3:41 p.m. on April 19, 2017 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,377 forum posts

Many hunters take their kill to nearby butchers for processing.  They are usually only interested in the meat.  You can get the cast away skin from the butcher.  Gun shops might know of local hunters who may have a hide for you. These of course will be unprocessed skins.  As for soft raw leather, I thought you had to process leather to get it soft. Perhaps a Native American council with members that actively hunt will have what you want.

Ed

3:48 p.m. on April 19, 2017 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,877 forum posts

I was serious about buckskinning for many years living in CO and WY where they take it seriously. 

By softened do you mean tanned hides? Get those from a leather supply house. Tandy Leather stores will have some, but higher prices and poorer quality. 

For green hides taxidermy shops will turn some loose especially in the fall after hunting season. 

A buckskinner friend of mine called me once and said I needed to come over on Sat because he just a moose, 5 elk and 11 deer hides from a taxidermist. We slipped the hair with wood ashes and then brain tanned them.

August 17, 2019
Quick Reply