Reel Rock 8 Everest episode, very clear

4:45 p.m. on August 19, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,956 reviewer rep
1,690 forum posts

Not to reopen a very controversial topic but...  I just received my Reel Rock 8 DVD and watched the Steck and Moro vs all of the Sherpa episode.  In the video its very clear who the aggressors were. Wow!

People capable of that degree of savagery are scary.  Melissa Arnot is my new favorite hero.  I saw a textbook example of how passivity can provoke greater aggression, like running from a mean dog. 

Watch it if you get a chance!  I imagine that libraries might have copies.

10:00 a.m. on August 20, 2014 (EDT)
612 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

It is for sale for about 24 dollars to buy.

11:24 a.m. on August 20, 2014 (EDT)
6,956 reviewer rep
1,690 forum posts

I wish I could play it for my kids but theres way; too much salty language.  Maybe the oldest two.

9:23 p.m. on September 29, 2014 (EDT)
136 reviewer rep
623 forum posts

I wish it would be available for rental online or something. I never buy movies or shows on dvd if I wouldn't watch it over and over, and I feel like after a couple views I'd never watch it again.

8:18 p.m. on October 1, 2014 (EDT)
136 reviewer rep
623 forum posts

I did just watch some youtube clips of the fight tonight. I'm not sure exactly what happened up high other than some ice being knocked down on the rope fixing sherpa, but the sherpa were CLEARLY the aggressors. As the pacifying western climbers asked for forgiveness and said sorry (which anyone would do when outnumbered 10:1) the sherpa continued to assault them, throw rocks, etc.

Not to reopen a can of worms or unnecessary conversation, but knocking ice down onto others is not an uncommon occurrence. Also, the western climbers did not use the rope, and were independently climbing. I think I remember from previous posts that the western climbers may have briefly been physical during the climb, but nothing like what the sherpa did at camp 2.

As someone who specializes in behavior modification as a professional therapist, I can tell you that the sherpa behavior was clearly aggressive and unnecessary. It seemed to me more a matter of pride and ego, and the mob mentality common in social psychology.

10:29 a.m. on October 2, 2014 (EDT)
6,956 reviewer rep
1,690 forum posts

For sure, the response was WAY over the top.  Ignorant guided rich westerners undoubtedly do MUCH worse.  The mob was encouraged, in my opinion, by the submissive way the western climbers reacted.  I think that confident assertiveness would have won the day but thats a projection of my personality just a bit but also an observation from several times I had to face down angry mobs when I was a cop. 

Predictions are ALWAYS wrong but I imagine that standing up for themselves might have gotten Steck and Moro into a one-on one fight rather than a 1:30 mob attack. 

February 20, 2020
Quick Reply