Friends of Joshua Tree

1:17 p.m. on October 14, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

CLIMB SMART 2014 is here Oct. 17-19AUGUST 31, 2014 · POSTED IN ARCHIVESCALL TO ACTIONCLIMBER ALERTEVENTSGENERALNEWS 

Mark your calendars (OCTOBER 17-19, 2014) for the kickoff event of the Fall climbing season in JTree… Climb Smart 2014. A benefit for Friends Of Joshua Tree as well as JOSAR, this gathering at the Joshua Tree Lake Campground and Astronomy Arts Theater and various venues in and outside of the Park is simply an awesome way to sharpen your trad skills, meet some amazing climbers, get to win piles of swag, see Real Rock 9 “Valley Uprising” Friday night and meet John Long Saturday, and give back to the Park and just have fun with loads of new climbers.

http://www.friendsofjosh.org/save-the-date-climb-smart-2014-coming-oct-17-19/ 

Here’s what you get by registering for Climb Smart 2014:

• 2.5 days of skills clinics with PCGI and SCMA instructors
  • 2 dinners
  • 3 nights camping (through Saturday night)
  • Ticket to Reel Rock Film Tour #9
  • Vendor village for learning about the latest gear innovations
  • Lots of other climbers, beginner to advanced, to build your network out
  • Athlete presentations and coaching
  • SEE THE 2014 Climb Smart SCHEDULE HERE CS clinics 2014 FD (schedule subject to change… heads up! )

It’s our biggest event of the year and we go all out!  REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN

Climbing-clinic.jpg

10:33 a.m. on October 15, 2014 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,047 forum posts

Over forty years ago I moved to southern California because the "waves were better." Going to Joshua Tree especially in the winter, was one of the closest places to get away from people. Camping on dirt roads we wouldn't see another vehicle in those days.

Now that JT is a National Park, it is predictably much more crowded. I think the Park has a lot of friends already, and maybe it doesn't really need anymore new ones.

Now to have the same experience, one must travel further to an unnamed  place in the Mojave Desert.

2:54 p.m. on October 15, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,429 forum posts

I bicycled through JT in November 2012 from the Salton Sea to 29 Palms. I had every campground to myself. I really loved the one with boulders all over the place,White Tank I think it was called? 

In the late winter of Jan-May 1980 when I wintered in Yosemite I would always hear the climber talking about Joshua Tree but didn't make there till that fall of 2012.

Most all the way from the south entrance off I-10 to where I dropped down to 29 Palms I had it mostly to myself. Can't remember the time of the week I was there. I stayed in 29 Palms for three weeks waiting to get a used rear wheel from a cycling friend in Florida after mine had split on the rims brake wall.

7:01 p.m. on October 16, 2014 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,047 forum posts

Gary,

I am glad to hear that the off season is still quiet. November is a good month to be there before the winter tourists.

February 18, 2020
Quick Reply