Ice Climbing Season...

8:10 p.m. on January 5, 2015 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,710 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

Well, I'm planning to tear my arms off this winter with some ice climbing. That said, I've been doing a few exercises, specifically, to help keep my shoulders in their sockets.

I'm all outfitted, including a SPRI Ultra Heavy Tube w/handles and few sets of the lighter-resistance Rogue Fitness monster bands. Now, I know how to do a fair bit of the basic movements for shoulder/rotator cuff conditioning, but I'm looking for someone to drop some knowledge on my head...

I don't have a rack; just myself, a couple door frames and their hinges. I've just been doing supersets...Help me think outside the box!

I do 4 of the following supersets 3 times a week, with all movements performed around 15-20 times, until muscle/form failure. Most of my exercises are done planked at 30-degrees off a door frame...I concentrate on maintaining a stabilized core, with tight, explosive movements and a long negative return. Maybe a two-minute rest inbetween sets. My routine:

Woodchoppers both ways

Haymakers both ways

Rotator cuff isolations all four ways

Wide chest presses

Standing rows high and low

Overhead triceps extension/isolation

Bent-over biceps curls

Bent-over triceps press

Front shoulder raises

Side shoulder raises

I also incorporate shoulder raises using Valeo 6 & 10lb, soft fitness balls. (These are 5 inches in diameter, and you just hold onto them.) Again, I aim for a tight core while raising them parallel, 15-20 times, both to the front and side.

All this takes me about an hour, and I am absolutely gassed by the end of it.

On other days, I do supersets of doorframe pull-ups, pushups, crunches, flutter kicks, and leg raises.

I still can't bring myself to run regularly, but I do whoop my ass with a jumprope quite frequently...

So, what am I missing? I'm all for muscle shock, so help me switch it up...Thanks in advance for your input!

5:13 p.m. on January 14, 2015 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,956 reviewer rep
1,692 forum posts

I am not an ice climber and I hear that nothing trains like the real thing but you look like you are coming pretty close. 

I hope you get some good sends and don't forget to post some reports!

February 24, 2020
Quick Reply