New Everest Movie

6:56 a.m. on September 3, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
783 forum posts

There's a new Everest movie due to be released September 18th starring Jake Gyllenhaal.  I'm sure most already have seen the previews being shown on TV.  The story:  climbing expedition gets devastated in a severe snowstorm.  No doubt it will be Hollywood-ized but it should be entertaining.  I've watched plenty of the Everest documentary style movies especially the one which document the 1996 tragedy.  I'm thinking this movie is supposed to be similar.

9:10 p.m. on September 6, 2015 (EDT)
136 reviewer rep
623 forum posts

I believe it's about the storm from '96. There are several good documentaries that account for all angles, opinions, and views of the tragedy from both people who were on the mountain and people who were not.

This seems to just be a Hollywood buy in of recent tragedies and controversy that have put Everest in the spotlight year after year. It looks like they added events that never occurred during that storm, and all for the purpose of selling a movie. The story and people who were in it was harrowing enough, adding a bunch of garbage is just dumb. 

I also wonder if the actors actually climbed anything or if the whole thing was green screened. Or if the actors actually learned how to use climbing equipment. I'll probably watch it just to criticize what I see :-P

4:13 p.m. on September 8, 2015 (EDT)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

Saw a preview for the first time this weekend. My first thought was, "Gee, they sure have a lot of energy/oxygen for being above 20,000'."

4:19 p.m. on September 8, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
783 forum posts

I think it will be pretty silly.  Might watch it when it makes it to Amazon. 

5:17 p.m. on September 8, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,943 forum posts

It is always interesting to see how people react under stress and duress. There are usually opportunities to learn something. Everest has definitely become commercialized in some strange ways. with people's lives hanging in the balance.

6:58 p.m. on September 19, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
60 forum posts

The thought occurred to me that with now 3 movies out, Wild, A Walk In The Woods, and Everest, there will be some awesome deals on "hardly used" and "never used" gear on Craig's List in about a year. I think you all can connect the dots on my thinking here. 

9:41 p.m. on September 19, 2015 (EDT)
2,017 reviewer rep
387 forum posts

Dale 2 said:

The thought occurred to me that with now 3 movies out, Wild, A Walk In The Woods, and Everest, there will be some awesome deals on "hardly used" and "never used" gear on Craig's List in about a year. I think you all can connect the dots on my thinking here. 

Like how hospitals see a spike in births nine months after a big power outage...

10:40 a.m. on September 20, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

The current issue of Backpacker has an extended article on "Everest". As usual with Backpacker, it is a bit of a puff piece. However, I noticed that several people I know personally and respect did work and provide advice on the picture. So that tells me it should be reasonably accurate, despite being a "blockbuster".

OTOH, there was a rather scathing review in one of the major newspapers by one of the better movie reviewers, with comments on parts of the film being very boring.

October 19, 2019
Quick Reply