Help needed....on emergency egress kit.

2:41 a.m. on January 11, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

I know very very little about the ropes out and available now I just took what I was given which was a couple 100 feet of 550 cord and a figure 8 and 2 caribiners and a hook you could use or not use. Hook up and repel 3-4 stories. Now If any one would know it's yall ! Is there a better rope but not much thicker (gotta keep it small) or is there a better setup? I never had to use mine thank god but if I do I wanna know I'm  not just gonna fall 3-4 stories .

9:17 a.m. on January 11, 2016 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
365 forum posts

Whatever you use, DON'T USE 550 cord, and for that matter, I am not a big fan of figure 8's...Go to a good climbing store and get something there.  Various sizes are available. Anything will be better than 550 cord.

Why is a small  diameter rope essential?  storage?  You didn't mention a harness or hasty sling, normally employed for a rig of this type.   In an emergency, it takes time to set an anchor, get into a harness if you will be using one.  I would suggest forgetting the figure 8, and rappel using only the rope using the body rappel technique (you can tell I am an old climber).

Your anchor is critical.  If your situation offers secure tie points (scout this out before hand) forget hooks, and tie off the line securely.  You know your knots well enough that this won't be a problem, right?

For a four story building, sixty feet of 9mm sounds about right.  Working in canyon country, I carried that much EDC.  It took up very little space and came in handy quite often.  If you and I were trapped and you had the fig 8, etc. two of us could get out quickly.  I would go first, body rappelling.  By the time you were rigged up in your fig 8, I would be on the ground, cheering you on.

In short, all you really need is a properly sized rope of the necessary length.  Everything else is embellishment and not really necessary for emergencies, where speed is a good thing.

I think there are specific rigs, developed for firemen, for emergency rappelling.   Check this out:  http://www.cmcrescue.com/equipment/escape-artist-lumbar-system/  > It ain't cheap, but what is your life worth?  They have other systems as well, some magically branded "tactical."

Finally, consider other alternatives.  They may well be a lot better, depending on you specific situation.

9:47 p.m. on January 11, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

It attached just to our belts! Most tactical belts have this option now. It was only to be used in an emergency.Also yes it was for storage. It could only take up so much space on our plate carriers. I  eventually just quit using mine as it served no purpose I could see with a positive outcome. Now I can sit back and overlook all the gear we went through and this one always just baffled me. I'll take a look at that website and I appreciate the help more than you know...Thank You.

11:12 p.m. on January 11, 2016 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
365 forum posts

I have rappelled using a rigging belt...once.  I do not recommend it.  A body rappel would be better,  especially since you are talking about relatively short distances, although the body rappel has problems as well.

11:31 p.m. on January 11, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

That makes sense. They actually encouraged us to use these from greater heights and I died laughing. We got alot of test equipment to field and I hated it (Here take this hope it works). Fortunately I worked in very few areas where I'd even need to use one but I wouldn't mind having that piece of gear around only of much better quality. A riggers belt is not ideal but it's stiff so it holds my 2 thigh rigs without folding and it cuts down on all the crap I'm carrying already. We weren't taught much about repelling. 

12:52 p.m. on January 23, 2016 (EST)
77 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Learn to tie a swiss seat. Some will scoff, but in the army that is all we ever used and I rappelled out of helicopters in ffo with that set up. When not being used as a harness you have a nice extra piece of rope, and you don't need to pack a harness that you may never need. Not to mention that in my opinion this is a much better setup than using a body rapell method.   

11:55 a.m. on January 24, 2016 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
365 forum posts

It is nice to be conversant and capable with all methods from simple to complex.  The advantage of the body rappel is that it is simple and quick - only the rope is required(and of course, your tender bod).  The disadvantage is that it can burn if done at high speed.

I often rappel over cliffs to excavate archaeological or paleontological specimens.  When I do this, I employ a nice padded harness, a rappel rack and a rig for ascending, if necessary, since in this situation I may be hanging for an hour or more.

It all depends on the situation and circumstances - know them all and pick the appropriate technique for the job.

2:10 a.m. on January 25, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Well I got word I won't be needing to worry about one of these kits or repelling anymore which makes me very happy! I don't like repelling or jumping out of planes...lol. I'll be on leave till I'm medically better which means I'm gonna be really board! I was really hoping to go to Syria or back to Afghanistan. 

2:18 p.m. on February 5, 2016 (EST)
136 reviewer rep
623 forum posts

If you end up needing a rope or just want one in case it's needed for rappelling or climbing, go to gearexpress.com and click in short ropes.

They are basically the ends of giants spools of climbing ropes after most of the rope had been cut to specific lengths to sell. Whatever is left over they inspect and sell as an odd length rope. I've seen them anywhere between 60'-130' and they're typically much cheaper than a regular climbing rope but every bit as good

8:07 p.m. on February 5, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Iclimb I really hope I never have to repel another day in my life...lol. It's up there with skydiving and HALO jumps. I don't mind helicopters at all, but the rest I admit was not at all for me in the least. I never saw a situation where I'd need a kit for emergency egress and the more I thought about it hearing the responses here I'd rather jump for it if I had to. I think those days are behind me now though atleast for the next few years and man its been boring to say the least.

January 17, 2019
Quick Reply