GT 106 Gaz cartriges

3:06 p.m. on May 28, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi

Are these any good? I have just purchased 4 of these (as well as the little heater they go with). Well, I say purchased the GT106's, they were actually at the bottom of a box of old tools I bought at an auction.

Any help or advice would help :)

Thanks

Paul

11:24 a.m. on May 29, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

The GT106 Camping Gaz (Bleuet) canisters are a puncture-type canister. Once you mount the burner onto the canister, you cannot remove the canister until the butane mix is completely exhausted. If you try to remove the now-punctured canister, you risk getting a spray of the liquid butane as it expands and rapidly cools, causing a serious case of frostbite (which I hace ween) and/or a spectacular burst of flame if there is an open flame in the near vicinity. The canisters and stoves have long been discontinued because of safety risks. There is an O-ring on the stove that seals the burner against the canister. This O-ring deteriorates with time and develops cracks, which allows the butane to leak. If the leaking gas is close to an open flame, it will ignite and can actually explode.

In some ways, it was a clever design. But the fact that if you remove the stove before the canister is exhausted plus the deterioration of the O-ring over time made the puncture approach a high risk device. Manufacture of the puncture-type canisters was discontinued by Camping Gaz many decades ago. The company (French) was bought by Coleman.

There were 2 sizes of canister, the 100 series which you have, and the 200 series. The puncture style was replaced by a version having a lindal valve that has no threads. This can be removed, just as the current canisters with the now-standard threaded canisters. But these canisters can only be used with the Bleuet stoves with the slide-on connector.

If you were very careful and made sure to replace the O-ring periodically, these were great little stoves. I still have one with a couple of unused canisters. However, I have not found the right-sized O-ring (the one on mine is about 40 years old and shows cracking).

IF you make sure the O-ring is in good condition and only operate it outdoors far from any open flame, it will serve you well as a compact light-weight stove. But be extremely aware and constantly monitoring it for leaks. 

Makes for an interesting antique, though.

If I get some time, I will shoot some photos to guide you. But don't hold your breath - Life is very busy just now.

October 19, 2019
Quick Reply