Nick Clinch - a dear friend passes

1:17 p.m. on June 16, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

Nick Clinch, a great mountaineer, passed away yesterday, at age 85. Nick was a friend of mine and occasional climbing partner. He was a major force in American mountaineering. Among other accomplishments, he led the first ascent of Hidden Peak (the only 8000 meter peak first ascended by an American expedition), as well as Masherbrum and Mt Vinson (the highest peak in Antarctica). Clinch Peak, also in the Vinson Massif, is named for Nick. He spearheaded the establishment of the Teton Climbers Ranch, which has led to the American Alpine Club establishing a number of other climbers' camps around the US.

Among other things, Nick was responsible for my participation in the 40th Anniversary expedition to Antarctica and ascent of Vinson by a few of the original American Antarctic Expedition members and children of expedition members.

Nick was a neighbor, living only a few blocks from my house.

Barbara and I will miss him greatly.

2:52 p.m. on June 16, 2016 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,945 forum posts

Sorry for you loss and the climbing communities..If difficult when dear friends pass..I keep them in my thoughts....

3:53 p.m. on June 16, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,943 forum posts

I am sorry for your loss Bill. 

These types of people are a dying breed and we need to cherish the ones that are still around.

5:31 p.m. on June 16, 2016 (EDT)
107 reviewer rep
514 forum posts

He's on a higher peak now Bill. My prayers are for you and your loss God Bless you and yours at this time

1:58 p.m. on June 19, 2016 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,432 forum posts

I'm so sorry for your loss, Bill. I had heard of Nick, but never had the pleasure of meeting him.

11:14 p.m. on June 20, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Bill, he sounds like an incredible person to know and be able to call your friend. I am very sorry for your loss.

October 19, 2019
Quick Reply