0 reviewer rep
409 forum posts

Sad...RIP to the Swiss Machine.

Ueli-OR-Aug-2011.jpg

12:50 p.m. on April 30, 2017 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,026 forum posts

Ueli was a friend who I crossed paths with several times in the mountains. I recall  running into him during one of my Climber Science Program expeditions in the Cordillera Blanca. He and his wife were on their way out from an attempt on Nevado Artesonraju as we were on our way in to Lago Paron. They had been caught in an avalanche - no injuries, but Ueli warned us that the conditions were unacceptable. That was the same trip I wrote a trip report here on Trailspace, where we got involved in a rescue of an American climber and recovery of the body of his partner on Piramide.

Despite the high speed with which he climbed, he had very few close calls. But you never know with the mountains.

This has been a sad year for me, with the loss of several friends and climbing partners.

6:13 p.m. on May 2, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,619 reviewer rep
1,644 forum posts

He and Conrad have always been really inspirational to me.  Ueli's philosophy of climbing changed mountaineering a lot.  We play dangerous games so you have to be ready for this.

March 22, 2019
Quick Reply