Protester tries statue of liberty free climb

6:39 p.m. on July 4, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,922 reviewer rep
2,088 forum posts

Law enforcement stopped her around the feet of the statue. She looked stuck. Fuzzy, but looks like she is wearing running shoes. About 150 feet from the base to the pedestal that she successfully climbed.

Arresting officers are wearing harnesses and roped.  Appears they are putting a harness on her.  

9:34 a.m. on July 6, 2018 (EDT)
67 reviewer rep
334 forum posts

I only saw a brief clip of the operation, but the arresting officer, although roped, appeared to be traversing from his belayer toward the suspect, with no protection placed,  meaning that his rope would do him little good if he should fall.  Looked like fairly easy ground, at that.

Probably a big no-no to drill for bolts, and there probably aren't cams big enough to fit the folds on the statue....

2:04 p.m. on July 6, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,922 reviewer rep
2,088 forum posts

it wasn't easy to tell, but I think the rescuers were top-roped. Good question, I don't know how much slack was in the system if someone had fallen. 

5:38 p.m. on July 6, 2018 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
3,391 forum posts

Resist or you are complicit. 

12:38 p.m. on July 11, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,243 reviewer rep
1,640 forum posts

It was bold, bit I imagine that the arrest/rescue was almost as likely to cause a fall as the climb.

7:43 p.m. on August 27, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

wow i must have missed it. gonna look for it on news websites

September 21, 2018
Quick Reply