Building Trails on Water: American Rivers' Fay Augustyn

9:29 a.m. on September 26, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF TOP 25 REVIEWER
2,008 reviewer rep
4,462 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Building Trails on Water: American Rivers' Fay Augustyn"

Trails don't have to be on land. Fay Augustyn helps communities access, connect to, and protect their rivers through the creation of Blue Trails at American Rivers.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2014/09/26/american-rivers-blue-trails.html

11:05 a.m. on September 28, 2014 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,074 forum posts

This is an important concept, especially in areas with little public land. There are relatively few long river trips available in many parts of the country, due to dams, private ownership, lack of access, etc.

We inherited the European model of turning our backs on rivers in cities. Now we are changing learned habits and embracing rivers in many part of the country. Dam removal is likely to continue. Buying private land for put-ins, takeouts, and camping spots has changed the experience of tripping on many rivers.

Thanks to Alicia for her post. I just traveled the Willamette River Water Trail in Oregon, and finding public land was easy, and there are some great maps to show the way. We could resupply in towns along the way. Corvallis was a highlight.

3:22 p.m. on September 28, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF TOP 25 REVIEWER
2,008 reviewer rep
4,462 forum posts

ppine said:

Thanks to Alicia for her post. I just traveled the Willamette River Water Trail in Oregon, and finding public land was easy, and there are some great maps to show the way. We could resupply in towns along the way. Corvallis was a highlight.

You're welcome, ppine. I'm glad to hear you've found a great water trail to access.

April 7, 2020
Quick Reply