Spreading Outdoor Ethics and Lasting Impact: Dean Ronzoni of Leave No Trace

7:00 a.m. on November 7, 2014 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,221 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Spreading Outdoor Ethics and Lasting Impact: Dean Ronzoni of Leave No Trace"

"Most people want to do the right thing. They just don’t always know what the right thing is," says Dean Ronzoni. That's where Leave No Trace comes in.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2014/11/07/leave-no-trace-dean-ronzoni.html

10:19 a.m. on November 7, 2014 (EST)
2,900 reviewer rep
256 forum posts

First off, thank you, Dean, for your hard work with the LNTC! Like you said, the principles are so clear, but sometimes we forget to do that right thing.  Great to keep in mind both on the trail and off the trail with newer folks to LNT!

I sew occasionally and I'll be working on my first big project in the next month or two, a Karo-Step Top Quilt for ground use! 

Cheers!

1:18 p.m. on November 10, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,540 reviewer rep
610 forum posts

I love the fact that LNT's 7 principles are printed directly onto the inside of my Osprey Atmos 65. I'm not sure to what extent LNT has expanded this sort of collaborative work, but my Osprey Talon 22 doesn't include such feature. I'd love to see this sort of collaboration become the industry norm. Imagine, every time you bought a piece of gear intended for outdoor adventure, be it a sleeping bag, pack, jacket, etc., you're reminded in some way, of the LNT principles. 

11:13 a.m. on November 12, 2014 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,944 forum posts

This is an important topic. The country needs some anti-littering campaigns and more programs to help educate outdoor users. Campsites are as trashy now as they were in the 1970s. The last campfire ring I used in the backcountry had some trash in it.

I appears that having people pick up after themselves is not intuitive and people must be trained and educated. LNT is definitely not intuitive. It should be taught in public schools.

8:02 a.m. on November 13, 2014 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,221 forum posts

Thanks to everyone who helps spread the outdoor ethics of Leave No Trace to all outdoor visitors.

Sadly, not everyone intuitively cleans up after themselves (in the outdoors or not) and we can all unintentionally cause harm. As Dean mentioned, even when we want to do the right thing, we don't always know what that is.

In addition to the seven principles, LNT also puts out info specific to certain activities and areas.

For example, they offer a mountaineering guidereference cards for fishing, winter use, canyoneering, hunting, and more; and skills and ethics booklets for regions like Alaska wildlands and Northeast mountains and activities like caving, sea kayaking, and rock climbing, and more.

Some of the info is common to all, but it's nice to have some specifics too.

11:39 a.m. on November 14, 2014 (EST)
230 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Kudos on your work on your work on Leave no Trace. One thing I did not see mentioned is the practice of bringing out more than you bring in.  I attempt to pack out a little extra trash on every outing, including cleaning up fire pits when car camping.  It was amazing the  look on some younger campers faces when thy observed this for the first time, in this dispose of everything world, the thought had not occurred to them.  A second note in some areas, dismantling a existing fire pit is counter productive as a new one will be build nearby.  Some heavily used areas should be left build up, as its better to have all that traffic stay in one area.  I disagree with removing any trail marking  rock piles and signs as not everybody uses a G.P.S. and they can be critical for the safety of inexperienced trail users.  In rural areas try to go with the local vibe to avoid alienating locals that may not have the same education and view point you may have, educate in a gentle fashion, by example.  

October 22, 2019
Quick Reply