Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2014!

2:44 p.m. on January 7, 2015 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,235 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2014!"

Congratulation to Trailspace's top gear reviewers of 2014! Meet the individuals most recognized by their fellow community members for their helpful, informative gear reviews.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2015/01/07/congratulations-2014-top-gear-reviewers.html

8:18 a.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

Thank YOU for providing a place where we can share our gear experiences. As I've often said, I lurked on TS for years before I started writing my own reviews. The reviews on this site have saved me from a lot of bad purchases over the years (and got me to buy a lot more gear than I should have!).

Also, I think it's great that 2 of the top 25 are from out of country (Japan & Norway).

8:43 a.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
8 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

My thoughts are : Stick to reviews of the gear and leave out the chatter. I want to know what sleeping bag or boots are best for me. I don't want to know what each of you think of each others review. I watch a lot of you tube reviews of gear travel and other stuff. A big turnoff is seeing someone talk their pals for 3 mins on 5 min gear review. If you want to chat to each other do it on your time please. Also many gear reviews lately seem to be of discontinued gear. If I can't buy what your talking about the review is useless to me . 

9:35 a.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
2,900 reviewer rep
256 forum posts

Don't forget Jake from Canada! Well done everyone and thank you Trailspace.

@Mark, I think G00SE said it best when he said "gear experiences." Sometimes there may be too much chat (perhaps you are referencing the comments section of a review?), but I think that putting personal experiences helps give more credibility and real-world scenarios to the review. That is to say, more than what can be read from manufacturer's specs. 

Places like Sierra Trading Post often sell discontinued or closeout goods, so, at least for a time being, reviews of discontinued gear can be useful. Always gotta keep in mind sales and trades of used gear too! 

9:45 a.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
NONPROFIT REP FORMER STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

Thanks to all of our reviewers! Seeing the top 25 reviewers smiling faces is the cherry on top of my holiday season!

9:59 a.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,597 reviewer rep
618 forum posts

@Mark: Thanks for your insights. For me, I believe the great thing about Trailspace is that it can be different things for different people. It's not forcing any of us to do any certain actions. For some folks, they can stick to reading and writing reviews only (which sounds like your preference). For others, they may never write a review, but contribute thoughtfully and extensively in the forums and review comments section. And for others yet, they choose to do all the above. Everyone is welcome and as long as they don't break community norms/rules, all contributions are welcome. 

11:37 a.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
1,096 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

Thanks TS, it's a real privilege to participate in a great community like this. I enjoy all the great reviews I have access to thru this site and look forward to learning much more in the coming year.

12:49 p.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
1,540 reviewer rep
140 forum posts

This is awesome!!! Thanks TS :)

9:06 p.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

And Jake! (Sorry Jake)

10:49 p.m. on January 8, 2015 (EST)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Congrats to all you guys & gals, you put forth a lot of effort.

Mike G.

7:47 a.m. on January 9, 2015 (EST)
BRAND REP TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,878 reviewer rep
62 forum posts

I love reading the reviews, especially when I am considering a new piece of gear or clothing....I do sometimes buy used gear ( especially things that last for a long time in the trade market, i.e. canoes, skis), so having reviews of new and older equipment is helpful to me. In my reviews, I try to share the information I would give to friends, if they are considering a purchase...honest, and fair, and based on my experience with the item(s). Thanks all for sharing!

10:40 a.m. on January 9, 2015 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,827 reviewer rep
1,682 forum posts

It would be fun to find out how many misadventures and days of frustration, not to mention wasted $$ that I have avoided by reading good reviews of products before I bought them. 

Its cool to have a place to pay it forward.

12:50 p.m. on January 9, 2015 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,235 forum posts

Congratulations again to all of our top 25 reviewers!

I'm genuinely grateful when I think of all the effort and time our members contribute to the site, sharing their gear reviews and outdoor experience for the sake of helping others.

The Trailspace community wouldn't exist without you, and it's better with all of you!

9:37 p.m. on January 9, 2015 (EST)
751 reviewer rep
44 forum posts

It's been a kick to read these reviews over the last few years, and to write a few.  Looking forward to a new year with new adventures, new gear, and new reviews!

Bill

12:10 p.m. on January 10, 2015 (EST)
5,205 reviewer rep
1,107 forum posts

Glad to be on the team. Looking forward to more gear testing opportunities (=outdoor fun) in 2015!

10:35 a.m. on January 15, 2015 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

Nice Work!

9:27 p.m. on February 18, 2015 (EST)
11,737 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

Received my major award today! Thank you. It proudly goes next to my 2013 bottle at work.

7:58 a.m. on February 20, 2015 (EST)
2,900 reviewer rep
256 forum posts

Got mine yesterday too, thanks Trailspace!

8:42 a.m. on February 20, 2015 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,235 forum posts

You are all welcome. Thank you!

7:12 a.m. on February 21, 2015 (EST)
BRAND REP TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,878 reviewer rep
62 forum posts

Woot Woot! Thanks for the cool water bottle!

9:59 p.m. on February 21, 2015 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

My Top 10 container arrived in the midst of a very busy period (preparing to send my monetary contributions to Washington DC and Sacramento, California, teaching a snow camping course for adult Boy Scout Leaders -a bit difficult in the midst of a drought entering its 4th year, and preparing for a High Adventure Training Course for other adult Boy Scout Leaders). However, I managed to carry out a thorough series of tests of the Trailspace Innate Motus Top 10 Reviewer Water Bottle. The review may be found and read at this URL. The trophy is currently occupying a central location on my mantle, along side my first ice ax and some other recognition hardware.

3:05 p.m. on February 25, 2015 (EST)
5,597 reviewer rep
618 forum posts

My wife opened the package with the water bottle in it and she immediately glared at me. I knew exactly what it was about.

Last year, I convinced her that I needed a $30 water bottle, so when she saw this new bottle, she thought I lost my mind and bought yet another water bottle. After she realized that it was prize, not purchased, she smiled, congratulated me, and then proceeded to get one more jab in about that $30 bottle. 

Thanks for the great bottle.

11:09 p.m. on February 26, 2015 (EST)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Congrats to everyone!

You can't have too many water bottles,

or stoves - tents - boots - backpacks - and other such necessities.

7:34 a.m. on February 27, 2015 (EST)
8 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Its true trouthunter. One can never have enough stoves, pots, lanterns, tents, jackets, knives, water bottles, and lots of other stuff. 

November 20, 2019
Quick Reply