Fuel, Flames, and Water: More Gear From Outdoor Retailer

11:29 p.m. on January 8, 2016 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,684 reviewer rep
4,188 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Fuel, Flames, and Water: More Gear From Outdoor Retailer"

We're going elemental today from Outdoor Retailer Winter Market. These new gear highlights from Primus, Snow Peak, BioLite, and SteriPen all involve water or flames and fuel.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2016/01/08/outdoor-retailer-fuel-flames-water.html

1:07 p.m. on January 11, 2016 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,518 reviewer rep
175 forum posts

Just curious, what is the weight of the new BioLite stove? And can it still burn wood/heat water without the fan? A stove the requires a solar panel to recharge the fan to burn the wood...seems a little complicated :) I have to smile about the Snow Peak Mini Flame... a 'bright' idea but $40 will buy a lot of tea-light candles! LOL. It must be really fun to ponder all the new products at these shows.

2:14 p.m. on January 11, 2016 (EST)
1,684 reviewer rep
4,188 forum posts

Lah said:

Just curious, what is the weight of the new BioLite stove? And can it still burn wood/heat water without the fan? A stove the requires a solar panel to recharge the fan to burn the wood...seems a little complicated :) I have to smile about the Snow Peak Mini Flame... a 'bright' idea but $40 will buy a lot of tea-light candles! LOL. It must be really fun to ponder all the new products at these shows.

Hey, Lah.

Sorry for not supplying that weight when I actually had it. BioLite has its CookStove listed at 1.6 lbs/725 grams.

I'll double check with BioLite on the other, instead of making any assumptions.

4:26 p.m. on January 11, 2016 (EST)
BRAND REP
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi Lah,

Thanks for writing in and asking more about the CookStove. While you can certainly build a fire in the stove's chamber without using the fan, the fan helps the fire burn more efficiently, which will make it hotter and cook quicker. It also improves combustion and gasifies the wood so you can have a campfire with virtually no smoke.

In terms of charging up the battery pack, you can recharge by plugging the micro USB into a wall port or via BioLite's other products such as a SolarPanel. With just one charge of the battery, the CookStove's cooking time is equivalent to 20 gas canisters of fuel! Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

Hayley

4:32 p.m. on January 11, 2016 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
925 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

The Snow Peak Mini Flame looks interesting.  Not sure I'd hump an extra canister in my backpack, but around camp it might be nice.

7:40 p.m. on January 11, 2016 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,441 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

From what Trailspace has shared, I've seen lots of interesting new gear at OR. Thanks for sharing TS! Tops on my list of interest are: 

• Osprey hydration systems by Hydrapak
  • Norvan SL Hoody running jacket with Goretex Active from Arc'teryx
  • Fall active collection or insulation collection from Brooks-Range
  • The waterproof, submersible Stormfront Pack from Patagonia
  • New Quantum rapid purification system by SteriPEN
  • Adidas Outdoors Techrock Hoody Fleeces
9:00 a.m. on January 12, 2016 (EST)
1,684 reviewer rep
4,188 forum posts

Thanks for sharing that BioLite info, Hayley.

9:21 a.m. on January 12, 2016 (EST)
1,684 reviewer rep
4,188 forum posts

KiwiKlimber said:

From what Trailspace has shared, I've seen lots of interesting new gear at OR. Thanks for sharing TS! Tops on my list of interest are: 

• Osprey hydration systems by Hydrapak
  • Norvan SL Hoody running jacket with Goretex Active from Arc'teryx
  • Fall active collection or insulation collection from Brooks-Range
  • The waterproof, submersible Stormfront Pack from Patagonia
  • New Quantum rapid purification system by SteriPEN
  • Adidas Outdoors Techrock Hoody Fleeces

Thanks for sharing which interest you most, Kiwi. I saw all of these personally and it's good to know what strikes our members' interests. 

7:22 p.m. on January 14, 2016 (EST)
273 reviewer rep
1,943 forum posts

Great Photo's from the show on Facebook..Loved the Coverage as usual...Looked like alot of fun..Look forward to the gear reviews that will follow...

7:52 p.m. on January 14, 2016 (EST)
1,684 reviewer rep
4,188 forum posts

denis daly said:

Great Photo's from the show on Facebook..Loved the Coverage as usual...Looked like alot of fun..Look forward to the gear reviews that will follow...

Thank you, Denis! I'm glad you enjoyed following along online.

August 23, 2019
Quick Reply