Titanium Cookpots to Cast Iron Skillets: Meet Randy, Reviewer of the Month

8:00 a.m. on January 27, 2016 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,164 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Titanium Cookpots to Cast Iron Skillets: Meet Randy, Reviewer of the Month"

Congratulations, Randy from Tennessee, our first 2016 Reviewer of the Month. Because our members are so essential to Trailspace, Randy wins a 10 Essentials prize pack of outdoor gear worth $300+.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2016/01/27/randy-cadenza-reviewer-of-month.html

9:51 a.m. on January 27, 2016 (EST)
BRAND REP TOP 25 REVIEWER
3,278 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

It was fun reading your bio. I loved the otter story. At first I thought it was coons since I've been raided by them all working in concert. Funny how you mentioned to have your ashes spread at your favorite site. I am the same way and want mine tossed into Gichi Gami (L. Superior). Strange how if you get in tune with the land (or water), you realize you want to go back to it in the end. Not to mention it would give my own kids an excuse to come to the spot once a year. 

Thanks and I've enjoyed your reviews.

Jesse

10:09 a.m. on January 27, 2016 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,120 reviewer rep
1,451 forum posts

Gray Jays will work together like that too. One will put on a show right in front of you to get your attention while the other one or two will attack from the rear. They aren't afraid to take food right out of your hand so as soon as I see one while taking a break I start looking for the other behind me.

Congratulations on the honors and prize package Randy!

2:01 p.m. on January 27, 2016 (EST)
3,173 reviewer rep
2,253 forum posts

Hey congrats Randy! We are sure to cross paths someday. I think I'm heading to Slickrock this weekend.....Big fat Gap loop around the Bob and such

8:13 p.m. on January 27, 2016 (EST)
2,885 reviewer rep
256 forum posts

Congrats, Randy! I moved from NC this summer to Florida and your tales an pictures are making me reminisce about the mountain of western NC. Great review, keep 'em coming!

12:19 a.m. on January 28, 2016 (EST)
1,259 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

Thanks to you all.  I'm flattered by this, though honestly I sometimes think my reviews sound like rambling drivel.

Patman, it's surprising we haven't crossed paths yet.  It is inevitable.  I always enjoy your posts.

I did the Big Fat Gap, Slickrock/Nutbuster, Hangover Lead loop this past August.  Mentally, I still think I'm 29 but my knees and hips say I'm 60.  High mileage days with a heavy pack are increasingly a thing of the past.

2:06 a.m. on January 28, 2016 (EST)
158 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

your bio and pics were a great read! Congrats on being reviewer of the month! I'll actually be cabin hunting in western NC and Maine this year and if I do move to NC your welcome at my cabin anytime. 

7:19 a.m. on January 28, 2016 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,164 forum posts

I also really enjoyed learning more about Randy—who is a very interesting fellow!—and hearing his stories.

I loved the river otter one (I was guessing raccoons at first too) and I was moved that he and his friend have made time annually for three decades to take a trip together. And I remain intrigued about "The Dolly Trip."

I enjoy hearing about different facets of our members and learning more about them as individuals.

Congratulations again, Randy!

8:31 a.m. on January 28, 2016 (EST)
5,441 reviewer rep
599 forum posts

Thanks for sharing, Randy.

If I had a nickel for every time my father said, "You get what you pay for." I'd be a rich, rich dude.

Enjoy the Essentials!

11:53 a.m. on January 28, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Love the article!!! Backpack with my youngest son and we plan a week trip every year. I turn 60 in June but that hasn't slowed me down!!!! 

4:54 p.m. on January 28, 2016 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
10,139 reviewer rep
446 forum posts

Congrats Cadenza! I've been using an Arc'Teryx Altra pack for a lot of trips over the last several years, the hip belt absolutely makes up for the weight penalty!!! 

11:41 p.m. on January 28, 2016 (EST)
1,259 reviewer rep
31 forum posts

Oh, what the heck…. I have previously confessed that in my younger years I was dumb enough to imitate a pack mule.  A young stud in his 30's will never admit that a pack is too heavy.  I had a huge pack and I crammed it full until it was bulging at the seams.  And yet this still wasn't enough.  In those days we were always trying to figure out a way to carry an extra 6-pack of beer to be chilled in the cool stream.

I had read somewhere about an old abandoned settlement along Hazel Creek on the South side of the Smokies that had a road that was cut off to access when Fontana Lake was formed.  The road was supposedly paved up to Proctor.  The only real access was from the lake.  I learned that one could hire a boat from Fontana marina to ferry backpackers across the lake.  I came up with a harebrained idea that if this road were paved it might be possible to put gear on a dolly with wheels which could then be rolled up to a campsite.  This would allow heavy stuff,…..like a wooden crate with lots of food and a big cooler full of beer on ice.   :)

We packed up every manner of heavy gear and provisions, had the boat haul us across the lake, stacked coolers on wooden boxes, and loaded it onto a dolly as one might use to move a refrigerator.  We started pulling it up the road.  (This was in ADDITION to our fully loaded monster backpacks!) Pretty soon it became apparent that this road hadn’t been maintained in many years.  There were big pot holes.  Then the asphalt ended.  To further complicate matters it had been raining.  The further we went up the 'road', the more the path deteriorated, until eventually we were dragging the dolly through deep mud.  What had seemed a good idea, and a way to cartage heavy luxury items to a remote campsite had turned into excruciating work.  It didn’t take long to understand the folly of our plan.

We did manage to drag that monster all the way to the Proctor campsite a couple miles up the trail.  We were exhausted by the time we got there.  It was a lesson learned the hard way.   But years later Nimble and I still chuckle at our stupidity and refer to it as “The Dolly Trip.”

8:13 a.m. on January 29, 2016 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,164 forum posts

Good story, Randy! Thanks for sharing it.

I've now got a mental image of you dragging a dolly through the mud. I hope the beer and food you lugged tasted extra good that night!

10:05 a.m. on January 29, 2016 (EST)
273 reviewer rep
1,935 forum posts

I can't recall anyone ever saying they had a friend they did a trip with one week a year for 30 years..That's awesome...Congrats on that and winning...Your stories are interesting and funny...Although at the time the made you a little upset maybe.But you seem the type to laugh at it afterwords....

9:58 p.m. on January 31, 2016 (EST)
1,096 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

Great stories and what a career change, Congrats!

July 18, 2019
Quick Reply