"See the Beauty!" says Elizabeth, Reviewer of the Month

4:35 p.m. on July 20, 2016 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,219 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article ""See the Beauty!" says Elizabeth, Reviewer of the Month"

Congratulations to Elizabeth McCoy, an enthusiastic solo hiker and RN from Tacoma, Wash., and our latest Reviewer of the Month! She wins a 10 Essentials prize pack worth $300+.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2016/07/20/elizabeth-mccoy-reviewer-of-the-month.html

7:01 a.m. on July 21, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,258 forum posts

Congrats Elizabeth, thanks for sharing your story!

9:48 a.m. on July 21, 2016 (EDT)
609 reviewer rep
28 forum posts

Congratulations Elizabeth! 

9:54 a.m. on July 21, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,812 reviewer rep
1,679 forum posts

Congrats Elizabeth.  We'll probably be hiking a lot of the same trails.

10:05 a.m. on July 25, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,943 forum posts

"Seeing the beauty" may be the most important thing I have heard on this forum.

12:31 p.m. on July 31, 2016 (EDT)
648 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Thanks guys! I am so excited to have won some more essential gear. I may actually take a few of the new items on my JMT hike next week. I am getting excited,nervous, anxious about trip. All the last minute details and work involved with planning a trip like this. All my re supply buckets sent out last week. Securing last minute ZERO day cabins has been tedious. I am staying at VVR (Vermilion Valley Resort) and I am contemplating a cabin at Tuolumne meadows which is my first re supply station. I have been trying to get a cabin at MTR (Muir trail Ranch) for months! No cancellations yet! If they still don't have anything available by 8/17 or 8/18 I may just hop on over the extra 5 1/2 miles to Florence Lake Resort. It's difficult to plan what my body is going to be willing and able to do in the future LOL

Any advice from anyone who has done this hike?

I have planned out daily mileage a million times and finally committed to an actual plan (with some wiggle room).

I'm thinking my hardest struggle is going to be carrying 9 days of food after MTR. Don't think I can cram it all in my Bear canister. 

I'm praying for good weather, because my low points on the trail definitely involve rain. 

Thanks ppine regarding my "Seeing the Beauty" comment. I think that if we all got the opportunity or took the chance to really get out to these beautiful places on our planet we would be more appreciative of the little things in life. I think that after you send someone into the woods they come out a different person in some small way, a better person, a more ALIVE person. I have always wanted to be that person who may get to be the only person to stand on a certain area or see a view that no one else has seen and that is where my passion for the outdoors comes from. 

9:18 a.m. on August 5, 2016 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,219 forum posts

Congratulations again, Elizabeth!

You have a great attitude about getting outside! Have a wonderful time on your upcoming trip. We'll be curious to hear how it went after you get back.

October 18, 2019
Quick Reply