Meet Wade: "Paddle Fanatic," Landscape Photographer, Reviewer of the Month

7:00 a.m. on May 10, 2019 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,324 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Meet Wade: "Paddle Fanatic," Landscape Photographer, Reviewer of the Month"

Congratulations to Wade, an avid paddler and landscape photographer and our newest Reviewer of the Month! Wade lives in Northern California’s Sierra Nevada foothills and wins more than $360 worth of gear in thanks for his contributions.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2019/05/10/meet-wade-in-water-reviewer-of-month.html

9:51 a.m. on May 10, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,030 forum posts

Always good hear from a paddle head Wade.  I like your photography.  Keep it up.  Ever consider a salt water kayak trip?  It is like playing chess with Nature keeping track of the tides. 

9:34 p.m. on May 10, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
472 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks for the kind words.  No, not yet anyway.  I lived right on the beach in San Diego when I was younger and used to surf; later in Pacifica, CA as well.  I hadn't discovered kayaking yet back then.  Up here, I get to play chess with the dam operators.  The operators of the dam above my favorite 25 mile stretch of river don't feel it's necessary to report their intentions; we're lucky if they report what they did yesterday.  Sometimes it's two or three days before they report.  So we never know what to expect and sometimes it even changes drastically while we're on it. All said, ever since I purchased my Stellar S14S, I've been wanting to try my hand at surfing it on the ocean.  Looks like it would be fun.  I'm sure I'll make it out there one of these days.  It's just tough to spend all that time driving when I have so many awesome choices virtually in my back yard, and I could be paddling instead of rolling down the freeway.

As for those tides, I have spent time paddling in the delta and know what you mean.

Deep-into-a-25-mile-run-on-the-Mokelumne

9:11 a.m. on May 11, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,030 forum posts

Fluctuating river levels reminds me a trip on the Snake River in ID.  We paddled Birds of Prey NWR.  The weather was hot and we were camped below a set of rapids.  During the night the upstream dam released water to account for AC demand.  We woke up at 0300 and our campsite was partly under water.  We put everything in the canoes and headed for higher ground.  I was sitting in a chair drinking a beer, waiting for my sleeping bag to dry hanging in a cottonwood.  My partner looks over at me and says "its a good thing there are no women on this trip."

10:12 p.m. on May 11, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,471 forum posts

When I was in scouts we had a canoe trip between the Havasu and Imperial Dams on the Colorado River.  Tons of fun.  We were advised about water level fluctuations; nevertheless some camped too close to the water line and were flooded out in the middle of the night.  One team did not moor their canoe and it floated off.  Fortunately it was located about three miles down river the next day.  Young boys on a river trip - talk about chaos!

Ed

9:04 a.m. on May 12, 2019 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,030 forum posts

We paddled from Blythe to Yuma a few years ago in February.  At night no lights were visible.  Just the sound of wild donkeys, owls and coyotes.  A lot of the river has been channelized, but it is still very interesting. 

10:09 a.m. on May 12, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
472 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

There's a scout troop that does a two day trip down my favorite stretch every summer whomeworry.  Since I frequent that river I've had a chance to catch the chaos myself on a few occasions.  Lots of fun watching them all get out and over a giant, downed tree blocking the river; for me anyway.  I'm not so sure about the troop leaders.  They definitely had their their hands full!

2:17 p.m. on May 13, 2019 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,324 forum posts

Thanks again for sharing your photos, stories, and gear reviews with us, Wade!

I was sorry to hear that you lost part of your hearing so suddenly and with it being a musician. I can only imagine how hard that was. However, I'm enjoying your photography creative outlet.

Thanks again!

2:42 p.m. on May 13, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
472 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

You're very welcome and thanks for the opportunity.  I don't usually post stuff about myself or even "selfies", but to be honest, it was kind of fun.

6:47 a.m. on May 14, 2019 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,324 forum posts

Wade in the Water said:

You're very welcome and thanks for the opportunity.  I don't usually post stuff about myself or even "selfies", but to be honest, it was kind of fun.

Great!

10:26 p.m. on May 15, 2019 (EDT)
INCENTIVIZED REVIEWER
964 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Nice images. Congratulations on the prizes

11:12 p.m. on May 15, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
472 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Thanks!

5:49 p.m. on May 16, 2019 (EDT)