You versus Bear (Grylls that is)

4:00 p.m. on March 30, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,235 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "You versus Bear (Grylls that is)"

Whether you love him, hate him, or couldn't care less, Bear Grylls of Man vs. Wild can stir up emotions on outdoor forums like Trailspace. Well, here's your shot to show Bear how you measure up. Discovery Channel is running a Fan vs. Wild contest now through April 30. Interested entrants can apply to the casting call by telling their most extreme adventure and why they should be chosen. Bear will...

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2010/03/30/you-versus-bear-grylls.html

8:58 p.m. on March 30, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'd like to point out that the Discovery site says they'll select four "adventure-minded guys" to compete, but, I should hope that's just an oversight and that this contest is open to any adventure-minded individual, regardless of chromosomes. Right?

Nope.. from the looks of their waiver and release agreement:

1. I represent that I (a) am a male who is 21 years of age or older, (b) am a U.S. resident

9:19 p.m. on March 30, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,235 forum posts

Thanks for pointing that out. I should have found that myself. While, I don't personally want to enter a reality TV contest, I'm surprised they'd cut off half the population like that.

I think Discovery and Bear are taking the whole "man vs. wild" thing a bit too literally.

8:06 a.m. on March 31, 2010 (EDT)
52 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

I would hope that the gender requirement isn't based on the title, but rather some completely logical but unpublicized limitation of the situation. Barring that, it could simply be that Bear prefers to work with men and that Discovery has decided to take the blame for that particular detail. Who knows...

12:07 p.m. on March 31, 2010 (EDT)
22 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Well I'm sure there's other reality tv shows where men are not allowed as well. Like yock said, who knows the reason. I bet its probably a fairly reasonable one, but who knows. It is sponsored by a mens product. Blame the sponsor?

Either way, I say this latest Bear Grylls thread/blog is already headed down a bad road Alicia. Close it now. Close it now! ha ha :0

6:42 p.m. on March 31, 2010 (EDT)
78 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I don't have a problem with it any more than seeing "America's Next Top Model" being all women, etc. I understand that it's sponsored by a "men's product" company, and that probably explains it right there. While I would prefer it to be open to both sexes, I'm okay with them placing whatever restrictions they wish on the deal. It's their money, so to speak. And should they happen to severely anger a bunch of people, well, again it's their money. (Or won't be, if they see a backlash against their products.) I'll admit that this has piqued my interest a bit--I might even watch the show when they do this. Might. But probably not.

9:15 p.m. on March 31, 2010 (EDT)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

As I have repeatedly told my kids:

Having the right to do something does not automatically make it the smart or wise thing to do.

I respect their right to set up the parameters of the contest as they see fit, keeping in mind that they may have concerns I'm not aware of, but I do think excluding women is a shame.....unless of course Bear is scared.

That last part was a joke.

It is commonplace in today's society for the word 'discrimination' to be used in a negative sense, that is not always the case.

I will say that there are times when sexual discrimination is appropriate, take public restrooms for example, summer camps, also certain activities. Not because one sex is better than the other, but because failing to acknowledge that there are distinct differences between sexes is to fail to acknowledge the special traits and abilities of each sex.

I would not take a beauty pageant to court and demand that they allow me to participate, nor would I intrude on an all girls softball team just to make a point.

I would also be in favor of all boys & all girls schools (or sections) knowing what I know now about how distracting the opposite sex can be during teenage years.

However, I do not see why women would be excluded from a contest of this nature, I fail to see anything significantly gender specific about wilderness adventuring, racing, or survival. I have several female friends who have earned my respect (not that there was a lack of it) in differing pursuits, and I would be honored to have them as part of the team.

9:33 p.m. on March 31, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

In my .02c

Survivor Man is way more cool.......let the $*@! hit fan......maybe its just cabin fever :o)

9:48 p.m. on March 31, 2010 (EDT)
67 reviewer rep
757 forum posts

Trout, I find your post to be very enlightening. (:->)

After I left the Boy Scouts, girls sued for the right to join. I never got to join the girl scouts, and I always wondered whether female boy scouts shared tents with male boy scouts, or probably since that was the beginning of women's lib, they called them women person scouts. (:->)

I wold get a kick out of joining Bear, I'll have write to him since I am over 21 AND I have the correct chromosome combination.

Jim S

10:18 p.m. on March 31, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,235 forum posts

I admit to falling into the third camp on Bear Grylls — don't really care. Nor would I enter a contest like this, even if it was open to me.

I think the decision is a bit lame (one can't help but want to make scared Bear jokes), but I agree with everyone who said he and the channel and the sponsor can do whatever they like and bear the repercussions (so to speak, if there are any). I actually figured the "guys" comment was an oversight in the advertising, before joel558 pointed out the waiver.

Anyway, if any of you get on the show, be sure to ask Bear some investigative questions on my behalf (just kidding).

4:34 a.m. on April 1, 2010 (EDT)
1,711 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Really? This could be quite interesting. I'd do just about anything to get into the mix of things w/Bear...why not? Its all about the adventure right? I will eat a few bugs on cam that taste like moldy cheese w/a bogey texture. Not the 1st time lol.....oh Alicia, I love the investigative questioning aspect of this....

7:54 a.m. on April 1, 2010 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,235 forum posts

I'd do just about anything to get into the mix of things w/Bear...why not?

You can use that to your advantage in the casting process, Rick!

8:35 p.m. on April 1, 2010 (EDT)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Go Rick!

Yeah, I'd watch that.

12:18 a.m. on April 3, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
925 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Meh.

3:39 p.m. on April 3, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

1. I represent that I (a) am a male who is 21 years of age or older, (b) am a U.S. resident

It just wouldn't do to have a woman compete against him and make him look bad, would it? SAS, mountain climber, blah blah blah. If I was stuck with him in the woods he would last longer than me because his unfuriatingly cheerful attitude would drive me nuts!!!!! I'll take Les and his harmonica anyday.

10:25 p.m. on April 3, 2010 (EDT)
17 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Bear would so punk you out and anyone else who tries him

11:39 p.m. on April 3, 2010 (EDT)
1,711 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Oh who is to say? Alot of people have military/survival training. Plus you have to understand that he normally meets w/locals of whatever area he is at and gets the ins & outs prior to the filming of the show. I don't look at it as so much as "punking someone out" but then again you always have to look at it like this. No matter how good you are there is always someone out there that can teach you a thing or 2.

As far as Bear goes. I believe there are some useful things to be gained from his knowledge. I do feel though that Les has a bigger "risk factor" being that he is out there solo as opposed to Bear being w/crew and emergency personnel on site if assistance is needed.

I am a strong believer that an open perspective would most definitely be the best approach to this whole thing. Eating bugs on camera is hardly impressive to me. I did it in basic. As far as the survival apect of this yes knowledge is a must but common sense can go quite a long way as well.

5:01 p.m. on April 8, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,827 reviewer rep
1,682 forum posts

Why is anyone surprised that the contest requires that entrants be members of the Y chromosome club?? The whole "Fan vs. Wild" thing is sponsored by a MEN's deodorant brand "Degree For Men." Having a woman on would be kinda like a man on a Secret for Women commercial!

7:28 p.m. on April 8, 2010 (EDT)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Bear would so punk you out and anyone else who tries him

Anyone else who? On this forum, or anyone period?

November 20, 2019
Quick Reply