Stop Reading this Blog: National Day of Unplugging starts at sundown Friday

7:00 a.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF TOP 25 REVIEWER
2,008 reviewer rep
4,456 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Stop Reading this Blog: National Day of Unplugging starts at sundown Friday"

Avoid technology (1). Nurture your health (3). Get outside (4). Find silence (9).  Turn off this computer. Hide the smartphone and iPad. Back away from Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, email, the TV, and even (...

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/03/04/national-day-unplugging.html

12:10 p.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
202 forum posts
Re: Stop Reading this Blog: The National Day of Unplugging starts at sundown

This might have been a good idea on a Saturday. Lets be realistic, we all have jobs and if we want to keep them, 99% of us will not be "unplugging" on a workday.

12:29 p.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
2,008 reviewer rep
4,456 forum posts
Re: Stop Reading this Blog: The National Day of Unplugging starts at sundown

This might have been a good idea on a Saturday. Lets be realistic, we all have jobs and if we want to keep them, 99% of us will not be "unplugging" on a workday.

BigSmoke, the sabbath day starts at sundown (evening sunset) today, Friday, and goes though sundown (evening sunset) on Saturday. So most of it is on Saturday.

However, if that doesn't work, you're encouraged to apply the principles however they fit into your life. You can also have a weekly unplugged day of your own choosing. I'm considering this for myself.

1:50 p.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
202 forum posts

Ok! unplugging tonight. Maybe I should make it easy, grab the wife and head to Shenandoah!

1:57 p.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
2,008 reviewer rep
4,456 forum posts

Ok! unplugging tonight. Maybe I should make it easy, grab the wife and head to Shenandoah!

Excellent idea! Please report back if you do it. I'm on board (or rather, off-keyboard?) too.

5:33 p.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
NONPROFIT REP FORMER STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

This is a great idea.  I'm a semi-practicing Jew, and do Shabbat every week.  Why?  Well, religious reasons aside, the practice of inviting friends, the disadvantaged, and family into your home, celebrating with good wine, and good food, and taking 24 hours to take stock of the blessing of being alive - it's a great process.

The nice thing about this particular tradition, is that it has a value that is entirely separate from the Judeo-Christian history.

8:58 p.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
BRAND REP
53 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Nice!

11:47 p.m. on March 4, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
925 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

I turn off the computer every night before I go to bed.  :-)

5:00 a.m. on March 5, 2011 (EST)
62 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

Unplugging now.

Edit: I couldn't do it.

OK, just kidding. I will try this. Thanks for bringing it up.

2:50 p.m. on March 6, 2011 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
318 forum posts

Isn't there something in the bible or even torah about carrying a load on the sabbath? I am pretty sure it says your not supposed to carry a load on the sabbath. 

3:53 p.m. on March 6, 2011 (EST)
273 reviewer rep
1,962 forum posts

Sabbath refers to Holy holiday. It also states to refrain from work in both the Bible and the Torah.. Now the carry a load you refer to is in the Bible, Torah and Quran. That pertains to owners or boss's giving heavy loads to employee's or individuals and not themselve's..IMO..

8:29 a.m. on March 7, 2011 (EST)
NONPROFIT REP FORMER STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

What constitutes "work" on the sabbath is a subject of continuous religious debate.  Sweating, carrying heavy loads, etc..are pretty widely regarded as being "work."  For myself, I think of work as more of a state of mind than a particular level of exertion.  For instance, carrying a heavy load through the mountains isn't always work for me!

April 2, 2020
Quick Reply