OutDoor Gold Awards for Gear Design Innovation

7:00 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
0 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "OutDoor Gold Awards for Gear Design Innovation"

Eleven outdoor products — including an Edelrid kids climbing harness, custom Hanwag hiking shoes, a Therm-a-Rest sleeping pad, a Valandre down jacket, and a Mountain Hardwear shell — were honored recently at the OutDoor Show with Gold Awards for outstanding innovation and design achievement.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/articles/2011/07/18/2011-outdoor-gold-awards.html

7:43 a.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
120 reviewer rep
64 forum posts

"ethically correct origin of its down"  Really?  Come on now, isn't this a bit ridiculous!

3:08 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
27 forum posts

That Neo Air XTherm looks nice -- when will that be available for purchase in the States?

3:28 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
800 reviewer rep
2,162 forum posts

v trek said:

"ethically correct origin of its down"  Really?  Come on now, isn't this a bit ridiculous!

 Elaborate please. There are two possible positions for why you would think that it absurd, but neither is apparent from your post.

3:32 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
275 reviewer rep
1,421 forum posts

Now, am I gonna have to go out and purchase the XTherm mattress with an R value of 5.7??  Sheesh.  What if it punctures on a long winter trip? 

8:53 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,125 forum posts

cgray said:

That Neo Air XTherm looks nice -- when will that be available for purchase in the States?

Cascade Designs says: The NeoAir XTherm mattress, along with the new NeoAir XLite mattress and NeoAir Women’s XLite mattress will be available in stores January 2012.

11:33 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,917 forum posts

Thanks for the articles on design and What I consider Boutique manufacturers Alicia. Sometimes when a company isn't as large as say North face we tend to forget that 2 sleeping bag companies which are small in size are putting out great product that are sought after around the world..Feathered Friends and western Mountaineering. I do hope in the future maybe an interview with Chris Mcmaster of ULA and Mchale on their pack designs. Be way cool...All the articles have been great reading when I can catchup...

11:46 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,125 forum posts

denis daly said:

Thanks for the articles on design and What I consider Boutique manufacturers Alicia. Sometimes when a company isn't as large as say North face we tend to forget that 2 sleeping bag companies which are small in size are putting out great product that are sought after around the world..Feathered Friends and western Mountaineering. I do hope in the future maybe an interview with Chris Mcmaster of ULA and Mchale on their pack designs. Be way cool...All the articles have been great reading when I can catchup...

You're welcome, Denis. I'm glad you enjoy them. We certainly try to cover what's interesting and relevant for our community members.

By the way, we had a profile of ULA founder Brian Frankle a couple years ago that you may not have seen.

1:28 p.m. on July 21, 2011 (EDT)
290 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

The Therm-A-Rest pad could do with two blow up valves.  The second valve being for an exterior chamber that runs around (along) the side edges of the pad so as to encourage my sleeping body to roll inwards on the pad, instead of falling off the pad once getting close to the edges (sides).  I find that the Neo-Air pad seems narrower than my Pro-Lite or Pro-Lite-Plus as the lack of side pad stability makes it seem slimmer.

May 22, 2019
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply

 
More Topics
This forum: Older: Cold: Climbing Gasherbrum II in winter Newer: Minimal Toe Shoes Banned by Army
All forums: Older: Blind adventurer conquers Arizona Trail Newer: GPS support