Outdoor Retailer: Wenonah Recon solo whitewater canoe

12:58 p.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,432 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "Outdoor Retailer: Wenonah Recon solo whitewater canoe"

Dana Henry, son of Mad River Canoe founder Jim Henry, has designed his first boat for Wenonah: the Recon, a 13-foot solo whitewater canoe.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/08/04/wenonah-recon.html

7:22 p.m. on August 5, 2011 (EDT)
1,711 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Do we have a MSRP on this model?

10:46 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,235 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Do we have a MSRP on this model?

I'm asking for that info, Rick.

4:33 p.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Also interseted in MSRP. Thanks Alicia.

4:54 p.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
RETAILER
14 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Just saw the boat last week in Salt Lake City.  $1099 for the naked one, $1899 for the outfitted one.  I will say that the outfitting is some of the best I've seen ever as far as out of the box.  Very comfortable.  Not sure about avail, my guess is later this fall.

It is a very nice boat...paddles like a faster, dryer Outrage.  Beginner friendly, I think (hard to tell sometimes), but I don't think anyone would grow tired of it.

When I get an outfitted one I'll get some pics of it.

Cheers!

4:57 p.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
1,711 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

canoelover said:

Just saw the boat last week in Salt Lake City.  $1099 for the naked one, $1899 for the outfitted one.  I will say that the outfitting is some of the best I've seen ever as far as out of the box.  Very comfortable.  Not sure about avail, my guess is later this fall.

It is a very nice boat...paddles like a faster, dryer Outrage.  Beginner friendly, I think (hard to tell sometimes), but I don't think anyone would grow tired of it.

Cheers!

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to the pics.

Welcome to Trailspace canoelover.

7:21 p.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,235 forum posts

canoelover said:

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing this info, canoelover. It's much appreciated.

Welcome to Trailspace!

1:15 p.m. on August 14, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Thanks a lot!:-)

10:33 p.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,432 forum posts

A plus with the outfitting, is that the saddle is a two part unit, comprising a bottom and a removable top. With the removable top it will be possible to change the height for different paddlers.

4:14 p.m. on August 19, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Not a bad idea for the saddle. Still I prefer the appaloossa saddle. Wish the two would cross.

11:25 a.m. on August 20, 2011 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,432 forum posts

Louis-Alexis, I'm not sure that it would be possible to build an adjustable Perception/Beluga style saddle because of the thigh retainers. Mohawk is about as close as you can come, with their lap belt system. Thigh straps are more of a West Coast preference, I suspect because of the adjustability factor. Wenonah's system has some similarities to the Northwater system in the three point adjustable anchors for the thigh straps.

7:59 p.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I have purchased the recon and it handles very similar to the rival and I can't wait to try it on a slolom coarse.It doesn't seam to roll very easy though as I have to snap my hips a lot more than the encore, probe 13,12,rodeo, or the nitro.I was able to roll the rendezvous with less effort and time.Haven't tried the ledge but was told that it is harder to roll also.

11:52 a.m. on October 27, 2011 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,432 forum posts

Thanks for the updates Glenn. In my limited experience with the Recon, I thought it was faster than the Rival. I expected it would be a bit harder to roll as it is a big boat, and not light.

November 19, 2019
Quick Reply