MSR Introduces Three New Stoves

1:32 a.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,183 forum posts

This thread is for comments on the article "MSR Introduces Three New Stoves"

MSR introduced three new stoves at Outdoor Retailer, including the liquid- and canister-fuel burning WhisperLite Universal.

Full article at https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2011/08/07/3-new-msr-stoves.html

2:34 a.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
1,711 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Well, I am putting the money aside now for the WhisperLite Universal and the WindPro II. I will definitely be placing my order for these stove on their release date.

I do like the Micro-Rocket and the separate Piezo ignition but being I have the current Pocket Rocket I do not see the sense in shelling out the cash for a replacement. It works fine for what I use it for.

This is kinda cool, I can test the WhisperLite Uni on my Feb. meeting with TheRambler and a few other members from Trailspace. 

11:53 a.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
1 reviewer rep
712 forum posts

Nothing amazing about the Micro-Rocket.  My Monauk Gnat is 1 full oz lighter, has more stable pot supports, and a much wider flame.

8:01 p.m. on August 7, 2011 (EDT)
800 reviewer rep
2,162 forum posts

Well, I don't own an MSR stove, but I think I will be selling my Optminus Nova Plus and going for the Whisperlight Universal when I get the chance.

8:25 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,183 forum posts

Folks - FYI - Please note that we've updated the article above to correct an error.  There are 3 different jets, each for a different fuel, rather than one jet adjustable to three settings, as I had stated in error.

8:28 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,711 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Seth said:

Folks - FYI - Please note that we've updated the article above to correct an error.  There are 3 different jets, each for a different fuel, rather than one jet adjustable to three settings, as I had stated in error.

This still does not change my feelings on the future purchase of this stove(Uni.) The swap should take little effort at best. 

2:30 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

The video on the Whisperlite definitely shows an improvement with the fuel feed.  The old model turned into a puzzle when you tried getting the legs and generator/jet tube reassembled for cleaning or repair.  Getting to the jet is going to be much easier/faster now.

9:05 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,027 forum posts

Long-time readers of RCU and RBU (the predecessors of Trailspace) are aware of the many discussions of cold-weather canister stoves and how the performance of the Coleman "E" stoves with the horizontal canister with the hinged fuel pickup that fed liquified butane/propane mix gave rise to the idea of inverting the standard canisters of butane/propane mix stoves that had the canister feeding through a hose to the burner. Jim S did a lot of experimenting with inverted canisters, along with several others of us. The original Primus MFS (MultiFuel System) was found to work very successfully and easily with an inverted canister (later replaced by the Omni). I passed this idea along to Coleman at an OR Show many years ago. The next OR Show they had a stand to hold the canister inverted for one of their stoves. An important component that made the Primus MFS work well was the inclusion of a generator tube (needed for liquid fuel stoves, and the inverted canister sends liquified butane/propane to the stove rather than vapor). This led other companies to do the same (it was several years before JetBoil came out with their Helios inverted canister stove, which at the time they claimed to have conceived of independently and "first").

Good to see that MSR now has a version of the Whisperlite that does the same thing, along with my favorite "everyday" MSR stove, the WindPro (the XGK remains my favorite all-around stove, especially for expedition use).

I am curious about the edited change that the Whisperlite Universal won't burn diesel - automotive diesel (Number 2) is close enough to kerosene that it ought to work (along with jet fuel). I have used diesel in my Whisperlite International and my XGK, XGK-II, and XGK-EX, and Primus MFS (swapping to the proper jet, of course), along with Coleman Fuel, autogas, avgas, kerosene, and jet fuel (not alcohol, though - the supplied jets are not the appropriate size for safe usage). However, ONLY FOLLOW MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS AND USE ONLY APPROVED FUELS. Just because I got away with it does not mean it will be safe for you to do so.

9:38 a.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
171 reviewer rep
223 forum posts

Jet fuel? Must've burned bright in the night... I didn't get how you swap the line from canister to liquid fuel. Wish the guy in the video would've showed it

1:17 p.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,027 forum posts

The threaded connector on the flexible fuel line is the same as on the pump and on the canisters. You just attach it to whichever fuel source you will be using. And swap the jet at the burner to the appropriate one. MSR marks their jets with a stamped letter (G = white gas, K = kerosene, etc).

2:00 a.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Wish they would have put some of that r&d into a more durable fuel pump...

11:50 p.m. on August 28, 2011 (EDT)
39 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

The Micro Rocket would have been like a million times better if they would have put in a regulator valve! Makes me just want a soto. 

May 27, 2019
Quick Reply