REI Anniversary Sale May 16-26, 2014

4:49 p.m. on May 14, 2014 (EDT)
2,900 reviewer rep
256 forum posts

A link to their sales newsletter. The usual 20% off full price and outlet item is also apply.

http://www.rei.com/catalog/2014/anniversary-sale-flyer.html 

4:50 p.m. on May 14, 2014 (EDT)
2,900 reviewer rep
256 forum posts

Over Memorial Day weekend so no doubt other retailers will be having huge sales too.

11:21 a.m. on May 15, 2014 (EDT)
612 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

I got a 20.00 card for buying stuff a few weeks ago that can be used on top of all that.

5:26 p.m. on May 15, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
12,294 reviewer rep
1,413 forum posts

I still have a $25 dividend to spend. I just can't find anything I want to buy from REI anymore. Either I already own it, or I'm getting better items from cottage industry manufacturers.

5:39 p.m. on May 15, 2014 (EDT)
6,140 reviewer rep
654 forum posts

Socks and underwear, Goose. You can never have enough socks and underwear. If you know of cottage industry socks and underwear producers not sold at REI, do share.

7:53 p.m. on May 15, 2014 (EDT)
12,294 reviewer rep
1,413 forum posts

KiwiKlimber said:

Socks and underwear, Goose. You can never have enough socks and underwear. If you know of cottage industry socks and underwear producers not sold at REI, do share.

:)

11:19 p.m. on May 15, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP
2,186 reviewer rep
493 forum posts

I mean, hey - by doing some simple math:

$25 divided by $1.75 = 14 KIND bars

approximate $5 return toward 2015 = 2 MORE KIND BARS!!!

Almost enough to fill ya up!

But hey, it's one way of solving your predicament.

Though you're gonna need more KIND bars than that to earn the free shipping...

8:32 p.m. on May 18, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP
2,186 reviewer rep
493 forum posts

Should note that the 20% off coupon does NOT apply toward sale items.

However, they've got some pretty frggin' generous discounts on things like Therm-a-Rest sleeping pads. If you've wanted to upgrade to, say, an XLite or XTherm...now's the time to do it. 

Got there Friday night about fifteen minutes before close, and the checkout line extended all the way to the back of the store. If they themselves didn't call it their biggest sale of the year already, that experience would've validated it.

9:01 a.m. on May 19, 2014 (EDT)
612 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

I need a sleeping pad and had not even thought of it!!! Thanks Eric!

10:08 a.m. on May 19, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP
2,186 reviewer rep
493 forum posts

Seriously, Gift, they've got GREAT deals on Therm-a-Rest pads. 

Normally I don't go trumpeting the REI horn, but this sale could be a game-changer for some folks.

FWIW - the XLite is 12 ozs for a full-length pad.

Just sayin', folks!

10:10 a.m. on May 20, 2014 (EDT)
612 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

Thanks again Eric. Just picked one up for 119.00!

1:28 p.m. on May 20, 2014 (EDT)
2,900 reviewer rep
256 forum posts

+1 Eric, I was thinking about a sleeping pad for my wife.  She has a Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed which requires a pad since it doesn't have insulation on a portion of the bottom.  Something insulated and lightweight would do the trick.  

The Big Agnes Q-Core SL (discount does apply to this) in petite or regular may work! Still have a few more days to decide!

4:15 p.m. on May 20, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP
2,186 reviewer rep
493 forum posts

My pleasure!

Jaw almost hit the counter when they rang it up. 

Going back to the ground after giving hammock-hanging a try (being a stomach sleeper never made it easy/comfortable) and promised myself I wasn't making the return transition without a lightweight, comfortable pad.

This sale saved my butt, suffice it to say.

5:32 p.m. on May 20, 2014 (EDT)
612 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

You got that right! $40.06 off the regular size!!!!! I also picked up a Deuter Futura 30 (smaller than my other Deuter) and saved 20 bucks. Add to that about 30 bux left in gift cards and free shipping and I SCOOOOOOOOOOOOORED!

5:40 p.m. on May 20, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,757 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

Eric...you're giving up hammock camping?

6:56 p.m. on May 20, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP
2,186 reviewer rep
493 forum posts

Nice haul, Gift!

Simple answer is yes, Joseph.

The more complex answer:

Sleeping style. Only way I sleep comfortably is on my stomach. The gathered end had me faceplanting into fabric, the bridge pinched my shoulders together, and both forced me into a side sleeping position I'm neither used to nor comfortable sleeping in. Shy of a really wide and shallow bridge design, I just don't think I'm cut out for them. Starting out, I more often than not forced myself to fit my gear, instead finding gear to fit me. Can I sleep in a hammock? Absolutely. Can I sleep as well (or better) than I do at home? No. 

Weight. Legitimately trying to get down to a UL weight this year (for my bad back), and it it's more cost-effective to accomplish that as a tenter. If I could afford cuben tarps and lightweight down quilts, different story, but the money's not there right now. 

You wanna chat on it more, drop me a PM, brother. Don't wanna hijack Daniel's thread, here!

7:36 p.m. on May 20, 2014 (EDT)
12,294 reviewer rep
1,413 forum posts

Bought a dry bag for my September Boundary Water trip. Got some Darn Tough Socks as well....they get such great reviews, I thought I'd try them out.

8:50 p.m. on May 20, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP
2,186 reviewer rep
493 forum posts

If ever you're struggling with where to spend that store credit, gift card, or dividend...that problem's usually solved with a walk through the sock aisle. Can't go wrong, there.

9:34 a.m. on May 21, 2014 (EDT)
612 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

Eric Labanauskas said:

If ever you're struggling with where to spend that store credit, gift card, or dividend...that problem's usually solved with a walk through the sock aisle. Can't go wrong, there.

I hate that walk....it always ends up costing me in the long run....but my feet love it so much they simply TAKE ME THERE!

1:24 a.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP
2,186 reviewer rep
493 forum posts

Daniel - you ever decide on a pad for the wife, and join the rest of us over here in Anniversary Sale Sleeping Pad Club? Time's a-tickin', brother!

7:41 a.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
2,900 reviewer rep
256 forum posts

Ordered online, Big Agnes Q-Core SL in regular...in case I wanted to use it. Checked it out in the store a while back. Good to be part of the club! I was first thinking trekking poles, but she does need one with that SD Backcountry Bed and when you and giftogab started talking it sealed the deal. Now the tough part starts, waiting for it to arrive!  

9:38 a.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
612 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

Perhaps we should all have a sleep over!

12:10 p.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
6,140 reviewer rep
654 forum posts

Eric Labanauskas said:

Couldn't agree more!

Take care of your feet and they will take care of you.

1:19 p.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

I may stop by on Monday to see what they have. I just got three $ 50.00 gift cards given to me. There isn't much I need so I may hold on to the cards since there isn't an expiration date

3:31 p.m. on May 24, 2014 (EDT)
RETAILER REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

I just saved $80 on a Yeti cooler. I've never even seen one on sale!

2:19 p.m. on May 26, 2014 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,710 reviewer rep
1,516 forum posts

I stocked up on organic cotton T-shirts...3 Pranas and an Arc'teryx for $70...all covered by a gift card and my dividend!

10:34 a.m. on June 2, 2014 (EDT)
612 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

Well heck. Ordered a Deuter pack, it came after the sale ended and was not suitable. I returned it but lost the chance to get the big discount! AND they were inept at the refund transaction. I had to convince the girl that I DO get the tax back too. Her supervisor was professional enough not to address her negatively in front of me, but was having a hard time getting her to understand. Deer in the headlights look was epic. Nobody in there at all.

7:29 a.m. on June 4, 2014 (EDT)
12,294 reviewer rep
1,413 forum posts

giftogab said:

Well heck. Ordered a Deuter pack, it came after the sale ended and was not suitable. I returned it but lost the chance to get the big discount! AND they were inept at the refund transaction. I had to convince the girl that I DO get the tax back too. Her supervisor was professional enough not to address her negatively in front of me, but was having a hard time getting her to understand. Deer in the headlights look was epic. Nobody in there at all.

I stopped using MooseJaw after they messed up an order and double billed me on tax. Their whimsical, silly approach is "cute," until you actually have a customer service issue--then you're stuck with no substantive contact information or ways to resolve problems. I finally had to go through PayPal to get the charges removed from my account.

5:39 p.m. on June 9, 2014 (EDT)
612 reviewer rep
1,523 forum posts

Yeah. No bueno.

April 9, 2020
Quick Reply