Open main menu

Indian Pow Wow

Today is my birthday, so we are heading over to the Stewart Indian School Pow Wow in Carson City. It is one of the big ones in the West and it lasts for 3 days.  It is a chance to feel the power of Native American Magic. The public is invited, it is free, and it has been voted the best event in Carson City which has some pretty good events.

Happy Birthday. Sounds like an excellent way to celebrate.

Happy Birthday Pine. Hope you enjoy the day. 

Happy birthday man! Sounds like your gonna have a great day! 

Thanks you guys. We went to Japanese restaurant and I spoke some Spanish with one of the waiter who was definitely not Japanese. Then we spent a couple hours watching the dancing, costumes and drumming.  The Native American artists were lots of fun to talk with.  On the way home we stopped at a Basque restaurant for two drinks.  I love America.

Happy Belated Birthday,,,Sounds  like a fine day to celebrate...

There were some moments I want to share with you.  During the Pow Wow we went into one of the old stone buildings built by Hopi stone masons. There was a collection of art work and some black and white photos of the school when it was running from 1890-1980. The school was designed for "cultural assimilation". It was to teach Native kids how to act like white people. They cut their hair and forbade them to speak their Native languages. They dressed in white man's clothes and played in the band.

Yesterday as we were looking at this stuff, the thumping of drums and powerful singing by people in traditional dress was undeniable. The irony and juxtaposition was palpable.  It was no accident that the event took place there. It was a time of healing and celebration of modern day Native Americans free to follow their culture. We were invited and warmly received.  May the Creator Bless Them All.

Happy belated Birthday, ppine. Nevada has some great Basque restaurants, including down in Gardnerville and out in Fallon.

Sounds like an enjoyable day. Happy birthday!

i am happy to talk about restaurants, but I suspect that the group is missing my points about Native Americans. They are largely invisible just like this thread.

My ranch sits right on the border of a reservation. My son goes to school there, my wife works there, our friends are there. Your points are not lost on me, not by a long shot. I think it's cool you took the time to discuss them. 

Thanks Dale. Many Native Americans will tell you that white people that cowboy for a living are the closest thing in our society to thinking like Natives think.

Close to the land, working with animals, all of that big country and alone time, and time to contemplate the Creator.  Big Medicine.

ppine, the assimilation of the native people did a lot of damage to native cultures. The indian schools run by the Jesuits in Western Canada operated into the 1970s. There was a lot of abuse, including, as you say, punishment for speaking the native language. Here in the PNW, Potlatch was outlawed for many years. Pow Wows are ways to reconnect. Unfortunately much has lost as most of our society still views the earth with a eurocentric perspective. Thank you for sharing. A wonderful little book I have which details from a first person perspective, Indian Schools, is, "Stoney Creek Woman". My girlfriend and life partner is Duwamish...there is still much healing that needs to be done.

Thanks Erich.

A few years ago I took my parents on a trip of all the gold mines in the State of Washington. My Dad taught geology at one time at Cheney.  I timed it so we could stop at Omak during the Stampede. It has always been one of my favorite rodeos because of the large Native American presence and encampment on the rodeo grounds. Most of the people there are Colville. The Suicide Race is well known.

Mom was still around in those days, and walked across a big pasture with her walker to get to a big tent and some ceremonial drumming and dancing. Afterwards due to some deaths in the Tribe, they performed a modern day Potlatch.  There was some inspirational praying and then gifting. My Mom was gifted many times, more than anyone else there because of her age. She had a tough life as a child was easily brought to tears. It was a gift I gave her to have that experience. Thanks to the Colville Nation.

This thread might seem like it is off the track on a tangent. In fact many places we all like to travel in the backcountry have trails blazed by Native Americans.  They used them for trade, migration and hunting.  There are lots of Indian place names.  I have always felt their presence, especially in remote country away from people and trails.

ppine, although there are many places in the US with an aboriginal presence, it is strong in the PNW. I was honored to have met and worked with Billy Frank several times, who many here will not have heard about. He was instrumental in recovering native rights to fish for salmon. In Canada, I have many friends who are aboriginals. We should pay more attention to setting a light foot print on the land. Brian Issac is an acquaintance from the Selkirk FN in Yukon. On one visit we talked about the need for more in modern society. He and his wife and parents fished for a week that August, even though they could have left their nets in for another week. "We had enough for the year" is what he told me. Good advice.

Thanks for stepping forward and sharing your experiences.  The Bolt Decision is still a sensitive topic with my Norwegian fishing friends around Seattle. It makes sense that Native Americans have the best fishing rights.

October 25, 2020
Quick Reply