Parks Canada 150th Anniversary Celebration

9:51 p.m. on January 4, 2017 (EST)
John F
236 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Hi all,

This might not be applicable to all, but for the Canadians out there I felt it was important to note that for this year (2017), Parks Canada is offering free day use at every National Park, Historical Site, or Marine Conservation area!

This is an amazing offer to get the chance to check out Canada's best on your day trips. In order to take advantage of this, you can pick up your pass from the Park office at your visit, or order your pass online and have it sent to your house.

For those Americans, I'm sure you'll be able to take advantage of this offer while travelling in Canada throughout the year. Who knows, with the dollar the way it is, it might be a good time to come check out your neighbours to the north!

12:40 a.m. on January 5, 2017 (EST)
denis daly
273 reviewer rep
1,962 forum posts

Nice post..I was looking into Canada this year..Timing looks good on it..

11:28 a.m. on January 8, 2017 (EST)
ppine
73 reviewer rep
4,173 forum posts

Parks Canada has a much different philosophy than the National Park Service.  A Parks Canada cabin in northern BC may have saved my life or at least greatly enhanced it after coming over Chilkoot Pass, AK.  It was an old trapper style building with a wood stove and a pile of wood outside.  It was a place of refuge in the bush and a chance to dry out in tough conditions.

In US wilderness areas on USFS or NPS land it would have been burned to the ground.

4:27 p.m. on January 8, 2017 (EST)
hikermor
118 reviewer rep
499 forum posts

I have spent some very fine nights in both USFS and NPS cabins deep in wilderness areas.  Many of those cabins have historic significance and are therefore preserved.  An example would be Manning Camp in Saguaro National Park.

My understanding then, at least, was one was welcome to use the cabin.  Just leave it clean and stocked with kindling for the next users.

Since this is a lightweight forum, i must mention that the best super ultra extreme far out bit of lightweight equipment I have ever carried was a USFS master key - weighed an ounce, if that, and provided all the ten essentials.  But that was a while ago.....

9:42 p.m. on February 2, 2017 (EST)
Paul Lapierre
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
369 reviewer rep
150 forum posts

We would love our American Neighbors come visit. Just be forwarned don't go to the Rockies unless you want to be over charge while you wait in very long line ups. Visit the other 40 National Parks. 

Paul

July 12, 2020
Quick Reply