Outdoor Retailer Show

7:20 p.m. on July 25, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,847 reviewer rep
979 forum posts

Just a quick reminder that there is tons of awesome coverage of all the new stuff being debuted at the OR show on Trailspace's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Trailspace/

I'm sure at lot of this stuff will be what we're talking about come 2019!

11:23 p.m. on July 25, 2018 (EDT)
25 reviewer rep
3,449 forum posts

It is easy to be dazzled by the new stuff.  The show used to be in Reno for years and it was across the street from my office.  We used to talk our way in.  In the end, being outdoors has little to do with the equipment.  It has a lot to do with your skill, the people and animals you go with and your attitude about wild lands and just being out there. 

3:50 p.m. on August 2, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,147 forum posts

I think it would be great fun to attend, simply to see all that stuff in one place.  I rarely buy much new stuff, but I do enjoy seeing what is available.

8:09 p.m. on August 6, 2018 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,429 reviewer rep
6,014 forum posts

As ppine says, the ORShow was in Reno for years. It later moved to Salt Lake City to get closer to a large number of gear manufacturers and dealers. The location was more central to the continent.

However, thanks to the Governor of Utah and his push to open up the lands that have potentially huge sources of coal and oil, as well as opening up areas such as the canyons and other recreational areas. To help attract visitors (and their money) a number of the scenic areas were shrunk in size ... errr ummmm, hunting grounds were opened  and places like Bears Ears shrunk or divided up.

The show is now located in Colorado, mostly Denver for the Summer Shows, plus a number of the snow resorts that are up in the Rockies for the Winter Shows.

I go for 2 primary reasons - 1. In my role as a member of the Board of Directors of the American Climber Science Program (Climber Science.org), I search out pro-deals for the grad students who are studying the environmental changes in high mountains around the world (the students generally are bit short of cash to purchase their tents, sleeping bags, and other items needed for studies in glaciated mountains in Peru and jungle areas in Costa Rica (among other locations); 2. I contact companies who are interested in supporting the ACSP; 3. in my spare time at "home", I arrange for pro deals for youth organizations (such as Boy Scouts).

Trailspace sends several people to the show to gather information for those of you who are members and are eager to learn about the newest and greatest gear for getting out there in the wild.

I do hate to disenchant some of you. The "new" ORShow is being held for the near future in the Denver Convention Center. This has always been a collection of a large number of booths. The NEW OR Show now is more like a maze. But at least, they did design an APP that helps somewhat as a guide map. Many of us were referring the Convention Center setup as "The Matrix". Yes, you could enter the name of the booth you wanted to visit on your Smart Phone. But the problem was that the cards on the floors of the aisles did not have the numerical markers in a good layout - in many aisles, the numbering was not consistent or in order. And with several hundred booths shown on your smart phone APP (shrunk down to palm-size), it was a challenge. However, some of the booths had flags flying above the booth. This did make the finding of the booth easier.

It was a challenge to find your way through The Matrix to the next drawing. The GoPro booth offered a 1 in 200 chance of winning the new version of their camera.

10:44 p.m. on August 13, 2018 (EDT)
271 reviewer rep
1,893 forum posts

Jake thanks for posting that Work had me occupied just looked at them.

October 19, 2018
Quick Reply