Photo editor problem

4:09 p.m. on May 15, 2014 (EDT)
1,030 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be a way to rotate images after you upload them.  Is that function not available or am I just not seeing how to do it?  Thanks

11:43 a.m. on May 16, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,375 forum posts

I don't think they have a way to do it here on the TS picture loader. I usually do it first in my photo editor app.  

I use this one: http://www.picmonkey.com/ 

5:53 p.m. on May 16, 2014 (EDT)
1,030 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

Thanks Gary.  I have a photo editor on my PC and rotated a recently uploaded image to TS.  However, after it was uploaded I noticed it was rotated back and could not be corrected.  Actually, what reminded me was your recent classified ad for the Bear Vault BV500.  You mentioned you were also having trouble with a rotated image.   

9:22 a.m. on May 17, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,375 forum posts

Yes, I noted that yesterday as well when I was going to post a picture I took on a bike/hike in Trip Reports. I had corrected the image but when I went to post it it was rotated back on its side. I tried going back and re-rotating it but when I tried to post it again it would not load properly on the TS screen. Must be a glitch in TS photo loading. Have to ask one of the Moderators.

1:00 p.m. on May 17, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,215 forum posts

Gary is correct. You need to upload the saved version in the orientation you want. 

10:22 a.m. on May 18, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,375 forum posts

Actually Alicia I have tried lately as well to upload saved images from my PC and they seem to go in sideways. When I first had the problem I tried going back to my photos opened in my photo editor where they appeared correct, re-rotating them and then reloading to TS but they come up wrong again.

10:54 a.m. on May 18, 2014 (EDT)
1,030 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

Yep.  I saw the same problem as Gary. 

10:03 a.m. on May 22, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,215 forum posts

Thanks for the explanation. I'm passing this on to our higher programming powers to look into.

6:01 a.m. on May 23, 2014 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,400 forum posts

It depends on what app you use on your PC to rotate the image.  I had this problem, and solved it using a different editor to rotate the image.

Ed

10:16 a.m. on May 23, 2014 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,375 forum posts

I have used the same one Picmonkey since last summer, but the rotation problem has only happened recently.

12:54 p.m. on May 23, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
346 reviewer rep
998 forum posts

I'm not familiar with Picmonkey, but as Ed alludes too, the editor is probably the source of the problem. Some photo software will remember which way you prefer to view an image, but won't actually update the underlying file. So when you upload the file, you end up uploading the original orientation. That's probably what's happening here.

There are a couple things you can do:

1) After you've rotated the image in your editor, use the "save as" or "save a copy" function to save the rotated image to a new location on your computer. (In most cases, you'll also want to make sure you're saving the image as a JPEG.)

2) Open the newly-saved file in your web browser. Whatever orientation you see when you open it in the browser is the orientation you will see when you upload that file to Trailspace.

3) If you're still having problems, please send me an email with the problem file as an attachment.

10:58 a.m. on May 24, 2014 (EDT)
1,030 reviewer rep
34 forum posts

Thanks Dave.  I'll try out your suggestions.

October 14, 2019
Quick Reply