Search on forum topics

11:18 a.m. on June 3, 2014 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,104 forum posts

I am often inclined to respond to discussion threads by providing a link to another thread.  Recently a thread was started asking for reading material recommendations.  I recalled there were a couple such lists in some older discussion threads, but I didn't want to sift through the entire forum archive serially to bring them to light - way too much work! 

Is it possible to resurrect search capabilities on forum discussion threads?

Ed 

12:49 p.m. on June 3, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,000 reviewer rep
1,367 forum posts

Use this string in your search if you want to search forums and not reviews 

site:trailspace.com/forums

If you want to search a specific forum just include that in the string like

site:trailspace.com/forums/feedback

You need to use Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc not the search here on the site itself.

12:53 p.m. on June 4, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
346 reviewer rep
983 forum posts

We've actually been doing some work just in the last week on putting together a new/better search engine.

In its initial form it will not include a dedicated forum search, but that is a possibility down the line.

1:08 p.m. on June 4, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,344 reviewer rep
2,206 forum posts

Dave,

I think the dedicated forum search would be a great feature (well... at least for the people that have used the forum for a while).

There is a wealth of knowledge recorded in the threads of these forums and it seems a shame for it to be so hard to find without special search techniques.

2:44 p.m. on June 4, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
346 reviewer rep
983 forum posts

I agree completely.

But what we've found is that the vast majority of on-site searches (well over 90%, I believe) are for specific products, brands, or product categories, and that those searches are generally best served by results from review/product pages. So the search setup has evolved over the years to best meet the needs of the majority of searchers.

11:25 a.m. on June 12, 2014 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
300 forum posts

A search of forums would also keep people from re-posting same questions.  I just cannot read through pages and pages....as it does take a considerable amount of time.

lone Stranger...thanks for the tip.

12:23 p.m. on June 12, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
346 reviewer rep
983 forum posts

My experience here and elsewhere suggests that, unfortunately, no amount of search functionality or other pre-emptive design solutions will stop people from re-posting questions that have been previously asked and answered.

6:27 a.m. on June 19, 2014 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,104 forum posts

Snakey said:

A search of forums would also keep people from re-posting same question.

I agree with Dave on this point.  There are lots of folks who consider their time too precious to perform research on their own question - they even admit so much - but think others have the time to reply to the same question that was already answered a zillion times on prior occasions.  Been there, done that!  Regardless a forum archive search utility would be nice to facilitate directing others to information, as well as self research one's own questions.

Ed

12:07 p.m. on July 19, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

Howdy all:

Don't post much usually just browse to find how-to's and such. Not even so much for gear reviews as they are mostly subjective, imo. Plus I have most of what I need and am not a gear junky. Probably from a funding prohibition. I just appreciate the demeanor of the people here versus the often antagonism I read on other sites.

I, too, also was going to ask about searching in a specific forum topic when I came across this one.  I recall a trail wash concoction put together by some Aussie (forgot his name). I'm almost out and can't find the recipe. Thought it was on this site, which is where I mostly graze. Google searches with varying wordings proved fruitless. Even using the method posted by LoneStranger did not work for this site via Google. It only went to the forum topic on the site and if put another level of granularity behind the forum name, such as ...forums/backcountry/hygiene, returned this: "Your search - site:trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/hygiene - did not match any documents.".

I thought I was able to search within the forums in days past, but it sounds like that was never the case. Perhaps it was another site from a few years ago.

All that said, just my two pennies about a desire to search forum topics and how useful I think it would be as well.

Much appreciate all those of you who post, review, and especially do the work on the website. I'm sure it is very time consuming, but not unappreciated.

Happy Trails.

Rod

3:49 p.m. on July 19, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,000 reviewer rep
1,367 forum posts

Is this the thread you were looking for?

https://www.trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/topics/88428.html

Second result for me on Google using:

hygiene site:trailspace.com/forums/backcountry/

4:06 p.m. on July 19, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
30 forum posts

Lonestranger:

I did not understand to put it in front. And I was using the wrong terms with my Google search. Never used bath/bathe/bathing in the search. I used hygiene with backpacking, etc. but not sure that link ever appeared. Or if it did I missed it.

Well that obviously makes a difference the way you input it and yes it is exactly the thread. Can't thank you enough!

Much appreciate your help and Cheerio!

Rod

October 17, 2018
Quick Reply